IGNORED

Nintendo Switch overtakes 1990s SNES console in sales

9 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What's going to happen to these when the servers get shut down? What's going to happen to the "free" games for PS+? I don't know if Xbox has something like that, but same question if it does. Will these things remain playable? My guess is "no" but maybe I'm wrong.

I was literally talking to someone at work about this today. I have a feeling that Sony will tell you to F off. Its a service I would never use because I can't stand the pay to play bs. Sony has been on my shit list lately because they have decided that my PSN account can no longer be accessed. I have tried everything but I dont think they care.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I was literally talking to someone at work about this today. I have a feeling that Sony will tell you to F off. Its a service I would never use because I can't stand the pay to play bs. Sony has been on my shit list lately because they have decided that my PSN account can no longer be accessed. I have tried everything but I dont think they care.

The thing with this is that most kids these days treat games as disposable, and a lot of modern games are. Play it, throw it in the trash or sell it, buy the newest of the 17.8 (got to count DLC, after all!) identical sequels they have released, repeat. Therefore, I think most people who grew up with post 5th or 6th gen consoles would be okay with losing these subscription games because they can just get something else. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I highly doubt these games will continue to be available after the servers are gone.

Anyway, the Switch is great aside from the no free online. I mentioned it in I think the thread on incomplete games, but I'm never buying Pokemon ever again because I refuse to pay for online. No online = no trading = not playing. A sad decision, but we'd all be lying if we said we didn't see it coming.

BTW I hope your PlayStation (4?) games are physical so you can still play them. I guess your digital games get locked if they kill your account but physicals are still playable.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What's going to happen to these when the servers get shut down? What's going to happen to the "free" games for PS+? I don't know if Xbox has something like that, but same question if it does. Will these things remain playable? My guess is "no" but maybe I'm wrong.

Aside from pay to play online, which is wrong and shouldn't exist, the system itself is very good. I bought it just for Shin Megami Tensei V back when it was being hinted at but before it was actually announced. I gambled and won, because they announced it maybe 2 weeks later. Every other game on the system is basically just a bonus for me.

XBox has two similar offerings- one's called 'Game Pass' where you pay a monthly fee for basically unlimited rented games, and then 'Games with Gold' (I think it's called) where you get free games for being a member of their Gold program (which is required for a lot of MP-type stuff anyway).

With GwG as long as you download their monthly offering of games you have the games forever even if you don't sub anymore- I haven't subbed in probably 2 years and I still have all the games I got through the program.

GamePass, again, is sort of like Netflix in that while you get to play the game, once MS decides to change it out you're subject to what they have.

To your comment on servers being shut down, I don't know the specifics on de-listed games or games offered through PS+, but I do have several games that were delisted installed on my XBox hard drive that are very much playable.  It's no different, really, than using Steam on the PC.

Anyway, to bring this back to the Switch- if you don't see the value in Nintendo's Switch Online offerings it's as simple as not subscribing.  Will some people find value in paying $35 a year for NES/SNES roms that you can emulate? Probably not, but there will still be folks that do.  Will some people find value in paying $35 a year for cloud saves, even though that not all titles are covered? Probably not, but there will still be folks that do.  I don't feel like Nintendo would monetize it if the Business didn't think there'd be money in it for them.

Incidentally, a good number of Switch save games (and of course there's exceptions) are saved on the MicroSD card, likewise for games downloaded from their E-Shop.  I've upgraded 3 Switch SD cards in our house by copying the folder to my computer desktop then throwing it up on a bigger card.

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

XBox has two similar offerings- one's called 'Game Pass' where you pay a monthly fee for basically unlimited rented games, and then 'Games with Gold' (I think it's called) where you get free games for being a member of their Gold program (which is required for a lot of MP-type stuff anyway).

With GwG as long as you download their monthly offering of games you have the games forever even if you don't sub anymore- I haven't subbed in probably 2 years and I still have all the games I got through the program.

GamePass, again, is sort of like Netflix in that while you get to play the game, once MS decides to change it out you're subject to what they have.

To your comment on servers being shut down, I don't know the specifics on de-listed games or games offered through PS+, but I do have several games that were delisted installed on my XBox hard drive that are very much playable.  It's no different, really, than using Steam on the PC.

Anyway, to bring this back to the Switch- if you don't see the value in Nintendo's Switch Online offerings it's as simple as not subscribing.  Will some people find value in paying $35 a year for NES/SNES roms that you can emulate? Probably not, but there will still be folks that do.  Will some people find value in paying $35 a year for cloud saves, even though that not all titles are covered? Probably not, but there will still be folks that do.  I don't feel like Nintendo would monetize it if the Business didn't think there'd be money in it for them.

Incidentally, a good number of Switch save games (and of course there's exceptions) are saved on the MicroSD card, likewise for games downloaded from their E-Shop.  I've upgraded 3 Switch SD cards in our house by copying the folder to my computer desktop then throwing it up on a bigger card.

I forgot about delisted games. I have a few like Earthworm Jim HD, R-Types, R-Type Delta, and maybe a few others. Meanwhile, I didn't know After Burner Climax existed until I found out that it longer exists.

Also interesting that you'd mention emulating the NES/SNES games on Switch, as the Switch itself emulates those games (and others). It is as simple as not subscribing, though, and I don't. It is extremely disappointing that I will never get to play Super Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon because of this, though I suppose I can still play Super Mario Maker on the Wii U and Pokemon on 3DS, as those servers are still up... for now. I don't expect them to stay up for long, though.

As I don't like digital games but still buy them if there is no other option, I keep all of my things stored on the microSD. Only the Switch OS is on the system storage. Physical keeps storage prices down.

Anyway, the system is still great. I personally believe that the Switch has the second best library out of all handheld/portable things if you want to consider it that. If you want to call it a home console, it's within my top 5, I think. Overall between the two types, I'd say it's very high up there and will continue to get better unless Nintendo decides to cancel production and insta-brick all of our systems in a firmware update to force us to stop playing them. That won't happen, of course.

At some point, folks have to realize that those lights getting bigger at the end of the tunnel are an oncoming train, and the best thing to do is get out of the way. 

I got my first year of Nintendo Switch online for free thanks to Amazon. Subsequent years are just twenty bucks, which is two lunches at Chipotle, nothing to get bunched about. There's principle and there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

At some point, folks have to realize that those lights getting bigger at the end of the tunnel are an oncoming train, and the best thing to do is get out of the way. 

I got my first year of Nintendo Switch online for free thanks to Amazon. Subsequent years are just twenty bucks, which is two lunches at Chipotle, nothing to get bunched about. There's principle and there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

In all seriousness, though, I play single player games almost exclusively, so I am quite literally not losing anything aside from my 2 examples, fortunately. It does make it annoying when I hang out with my friends and have to pull out the Mega Drive/Mega Sg or Super Nt to have more same screen multiplayer games, though with my unusual working hours and working on Saturday every week, that can only happen on Sundays and holidays, and not very often because of that. That does go for the PS3 and PS4, as well, especially the PS4 as I think I have literally only 1 multiplayer game for it.

Moving back on topic, I am also quite glad the Switch is doing well, because the Wii U was not received as well as most other Nintendo systems. I wonder how they can do better than the Switch, aside from releasing the same thing with updated CPU/GPU/an APU/more RAM/bigger screen/better battery. They have probably been working on the successor since the system's launch, though, as that is standard practice. I just hope SMT V releases this year, although I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and almost expect it not to. I do need to finish going through 2 more routes in Fire Emblem, though. I burned myself out on it again just recently after burning myself out on it when I played it twice in a row without a break near launch.

• Confused 2

Hey man, do what you want. Not sure what Tommy has to do with this (or anything really), except for gathering a crowd of followers despite doing little except but talk a lot. I'm just saying that Nintendo Online is just $20, which is worth it to me to have cloud saves, some old games, supporting a company I like, the occasional discount, and some Tetris99 once in a while until they take it away. I don't play online either, but it's such a token sum, I don't mind feeding the beast. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Tommy is doing basically the opposite with the Amico. He's standing in front of that train and saying "SCREW YOU TRAIN! YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!" and I hope he doesn't get flattened by it like some people are predicting and even hoping he will.

Also, my face can go to HELL!

In all seriousness, though, I play single player games almost exclusively, so I am quite literally not losing anything aside from my 2 examples, fortunately. It does make it annoying when I hang out with my friends and have to pull out the Mega Drive/Mega Sg or Super Nt to have more same screen multiplayer games, though with my unusual working hours and working on Saturday every week, that can only happen on Sundays and holidays, and not very often because of that. That does go for the PS3 and PS4, as well, especially the PS4 as I think I have literally only 1 multiplayer game for it.

Moving back on topic, I am also quite glad the Switch is doing well, because the Wii U was not received as well as most other Nintendo systems. I wonder how they can do better than the Switch, aside from releasing the same thing with updated CPU/GPU/an APU/more RAM/bigger screen/better battery. They have probably been working on the successor since the system's launch, though, as that is standard practice. I just hope SMT V releases this year, although I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and almost expect it not to. I do need to finish going through 2 more routes in Fire Emblem, though. I burned myself out on it again just recently after burning myself out on it when I played it twice in a row without a break near launch.

Can you please keep that Amico nonsense out of this thread? Plzkthx

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, digdugnate said:

Can you please keep that Amico nonsense out of this thread? Plzkthx

Okay, done. It wasn't exactly a good example and I am not quite sure what I was trying to say anymore anyway. Delete your quote of me and there will be no trace of it!

5 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Hey man, do what you want. Not sure what Tommy has to do with this (or anything really), except for gathering a crowd of followers despite doing little except but talk a lot. I'm just saying that Nintendo Online is just $20, which is worth it to me to have cloud saves, some old games, supporting a company I like, the occasional discount, and some Tetris99 once in a while until they take it away. I don't play online either, but it's such a token sum, I don't mind feeding the beast. 

Anyway, yeah, $20 for online is fine if that's what you want. I have never seen anything about a discount on anything, though that's because I am ignorant. I do know there are some things that you can't buy without the subscription, as well.

You don't see the discounts because you're not a subscriber. ? They're basically routes to spending more money, but it's not as if they're mandatory. Last year, they sold game vouchers for $50 each (can be used to get a $60 game), and they have Switch-compatible NES and SNES controllers that are exclusive to the insiders club. 

Here's the SNES controller. I'm keeping my $30 on my pocket because the Pro Controller does everything better, except the purple nostalgia, but it looks like a nice fan-service product. 
https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controller.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You don't see the discounts because you're not a subscriber. ? They're basically routes to spending more money, but it's not as if they're mandatory. Last year, they sold game vouchers for $50 each (can be used to get a $60 game), and they have Switch-compatible NES and SNES controllers that are exclusive to the insiders club. 

Here's the SNES controller. I'm keeping my $30 on my pocket because the Pro Controller does everything better, except the purple nostalgia, but it looks like a nice fan-service product. 
https://store.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controller.html

There was a sale on the Famicom controllers a while ago for more than than half off, and I actually was seriously thinking about subscribing to the 1 week period to get them, but then I didn't.

4 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

ive been on the fence about the SNES controller, but honestly I'd have to spend more time playing the SNES games first.

I heard the shape is not 100% accurate to the original, actually, but I don't have them and can't confirm.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

There was a sale on the Famicom controllers a while ago for more than than half off, and I actually was seriously thinking about subscribing to the 1 week period to get them, but then I didn't.

I heard the shape is not 100% accurate to the original, actually, but I don't have them and can't confirm.

I bought the NES controllers simply because they were cheap, which is clearly not always a great decision. I believe they can be synced to the 8nitro retro receiver, which makes them more useful to me, but I can never get that thing to update it's firmware.

I'm just like Flojo; I got Tetris 99 and have the online sub basically to play that here and there and look at the NES / SNES games as a bonus.

8 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

I bought the NES controllers simply because they were cheap, which is clearly not always a great decision. I believe they can be synced to the 8nitro retro receiver, which makes them more useful to me, but I can never get that thing to update it's firmware.

I'm just like Flojo; I got Tetris 99 and have the online sub basically to play that here and there and look at the NES / SNES games as a bonus.

I wasn't sure if the Famicom controllers work with the Castlevania collection, so I passed, especially since I'd essentially be buying a set of controllers just for that and nothing else. I could get one of those retro receiver things, but I've had enough of 8BitDo's Bluetooth controllers being annoying. M30 2.4g is the only one that works 100% of the time. It's also the only one I have found with a good d-pad, and also not Bluetooth.

Congrats on the milestone Switch!  Pretty epic.  It's the third best selling nintendo console now (after the NES, Wii?)

As to Switch online, the free year through Twitch Prime (via Amazon Prime) was fun, but i turned off my "Auto-renew" the other day.  I never used the online gaming component, and while the NES/SNES games were fun, certainly nothing i can't play elsewhere already.  So yeah, it was fun while it lasted, but for me wholly unnecessary even at $20. 

• Like 1