IGNORED

Season 17 Round 1 - Clu Clu Land

asponge

25 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

This ever happen to anyone? I had to die in order to escape being trapped.

I got caught in that exact location last weekend.  Why anyone would program the game to allow that is beyond me.  I just hit reset.  Hell if I'm going to watch my character bounce back and forth for two minutes.  Pffft.

Incidentally, welcome to the HSC.  It's nice to see more new players.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fakecortex said:

This ever happen to anyone? I had to die in order to escape being trapped. I think this was what the manual was referring to when it said you can get the second player to help you out...

Yes, there are two mazes I believe in which this can happen (the 'butterfly' and the 'mouse').  I got caught in this once, but I was doing so well I just let myself run out of time and die.  

One thing to remember is that when you die the timer does NOT reset.  I've run into the situation where I was killed by an enemy with only a few ticks left on the clock and then immediately died again because time ran out.  This game really needs some tweaks to make it more playable I think.

BTW has anyone ever tried the FDS version of CCL?  It's supposed to be more like the arcade Vs. Clu Clu Land.

• Like 1

HAHA fun, funny game.  I really get a kick out of playing Clu Clu land.  It makes me laugh when I lose control and my guy just flies in the wrong damn directions!  lol 

This is one of my wish-list games to collect!

I wish I had more time to play, super busy week...

NOTE:  For 10-Yard Fight, use the Japan version, it gives you a High Score like the arcade version.

NOTE:  I noticed no one mentioned Nuts & Milk or Binary Land (or did they?).  Are those eligible?

( note: in full support of launch-season!  : D )

Clu Clu Land (NES) [e] 17710.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

For 10-Yard Fight, use the Japan version, it gives you a High Score like the arcade version.

I'll make a note for whenever we get to that one.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

I noticed no one mentioned Nuts & Milk or Binary Land (or did they?).  Are those eligible?

We're just going with the Nintendo black box titles this season.

8 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

Oh yeah and Urban Champion gives you a score, doesn't it?  It's the number of guys you beat.  IIRC, it leaves this number on the title screen after you lose.  Or am I trippin...?

You're right.  As Tempest mentioned earlier, the game displays the number of rounds completed on the title screen.

14 minutes ago, asponge said:

Great score!  I'm glad you crushed me.  Otherwise I would have felt obligated to keep playing and frankly, like you said, I was just done.  Congrats.  That was a fun round.

The funny thing is that I was doing pretty poorly as I had lost 3 lives in a row on the fifth level, but then I got lucky with a few extra lives and fruit bonuses and was able to bounce back.  I still wonder why sometimes you get a 2,000 point bonus at the end of the round, it usually happened once every other game.  Still, I don't care for this game only because it's too hard too fast.  They should have waited on introducing the rubber traps and holes until the second or third loop.

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I still wonder why sometimes you get a 2,000 point bonus at the end of the round, it usually happened once every other game.  Still, I don't care for this game only because it's too hard too fast.  They should have waited on introducing the rubber traps and holes until the second or third loop.

According to the manual, you get the bonus for finishing within 300 seconds. It’s only happened once for me. I’ve found you get more points just focusing on the urchins. Agreed with the rubber comment. And that red level is the worst. 

6 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

According to the manual, you get the bonus for finishing within 300 seconds. It’s only happened once for me. I’ve found you get more points just focusing on the urchins. Agreed with the rubber comment. And that red level is the worst. 

Ah was that it?  Sometimes I'd accidentally breeze through an easy level trying to get some of the urchins.  But as you pointed out, killing urchins is a much better way to get points.