IGNORED

HSC17 Round 2: DONKEY KONG

So, I'm pretty much just racing through the levels, except for the rivets screen.  I take full advantage of the two hammers.  When I get a lucky round, I can get 3 or more fireballs trapped on one of the two top girders on the right side.  Then I can sit to the left of the gap and keep jumping for 300-800 points per jump.  This does not work on the left side of the board, BTW.

Pic.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

So, I'm pretty much just racing through the levels, except for the rivets screen.  I take full advantage of the two hammers.  When I get a lucky round, I can get 3 or more fireballs trapped on one of the two top girders on the right side.  Then I can sit to the left of the gap and keep jumping for 300-800 points per jump.  This does not work on the left side of the board, BTW.

Pic.png

Wait... is it possible to jump over those fireballs? I always avoid them and walk a 'smart path' to finish the level as soon as possible....

11 minutes ago, Marius said:

Wait... is it possible to jump over those fireballs? I always avoid them and walk a 'smart path' to finish the level as soon as possible....

It's possible, but very difficult.

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

I'm going for distance into the game L7.

Some screens as you progress IMO are just luck.

But you got to keep having loads of attempts

Fun game, bloody frustrating. I feel I have reached a ceiling now and seem to move forward much.

Eye is aching now... must have a break or TRBB will tell me off ;-)

RT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marius said:

@therealbountybob I also posted a very late score for round 1. I hope I was not too late. I love being part of HSC again and I hated the fact that I missed the first round.... sorry!!!

No problem I've added it in already :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Pic.png

3 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Point pressing is legal for this game?

Not usually!

I didn't know about this - Is it a bug deteacher? - what sort of impact does it have on the score? If it's only the duration of the hammer then maybe it's ok? Tell me what you think?

I might not be posting until later in the week but the round 3 poll is now open !

@therealbountybob I tried point pressing and it was pretty hard to execute, I could only get one fireball on the right side so I was getting 100 points per press instead of 300. I felt like I only had a 1,000-2,000 point advantage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

@therealbountybob I tried point pressing and it was pretty hard to execute, I could only get one fireball on the right side so I was getting 100 points per press instead of 300. I felt like I only had a 1,000-2,000 point advantage.

Thanks for this.

OK I figured it's not the hammer it's where you jump up over the edge of a firebug so sure this is ok folks, the timer is ticking away and there's always the risk you will be cornered or fall off!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

No problem I've added it in already :thumbsup:

Not usually!

I didn't know about this - Is it a bug deteacher? - what sort of impact does it have on the score? If it's only the duration of the hammer then maybe it's ok? Tell me what you think?

I might not be posting until later in the week but the round 3 poll is now open !

I'll try to make a video to show you what I was doing and the effect it can have on the score.

I figured it wasn't a problem since there is a timer, preventing you from staying there forever.  If it's not allowed, then I won't do it anymore.  I will say that my 191K score was NOT a result of point pressing on the girder levels.

I don't believe it's a bug.  It's the exact same thing as the arcade version, how you can jump next to a barrel and get points for it.

TRBB, can you give a ruling on whether or not this is allowed?  I don't want to be a rule breaker.  

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

Ok, here's a video of level 4 Girder level.  Please give a ruling.  Honestly, I thought it was ok if there's a timer involved because you couldn't stay on a level forever, but if this is considered bad form, that's cool.

It looks kind of difficult to do, so I personally wouldn't ban it. I only asked about it since the 2600 HSC frowns upon point pressing.

• Like 1

Ok, here's a video of level 4 Girder level.  Please give a ruling.  Honestly, I thought it was ok if there's a timer involved because you couldn't stay on a level forever, but if this is considered bad form, that's cool.

Haha I love it. I would call it a feature. 

• Like 1

So let's calculate. You're on level 4 where the bonus counts down from 8000, roughly 100 points every other second = total ~160 seconds to finish the level of which you spend about 110 seconds between 0:52 to 2:42 to press your score by 23000 points, before realizing you need to finish it. If you had finished the level early you might've ended up with 5500 bonus points, so pressing gained you 17500 points at a point fairly long into the game. Compare with level 1 where you start this screen at a bonus of 5000 meaning you only have ~100 seconds to finish it.

Theoretically you could explore the bug and gain 7500 points on level 1 (10000 - 2500), 10500 points on level 2, 13500 points on level 3, 17500 points on level 4 ... this is accumulated. If you are quite good at Donkey Kong and get all the way to level 5, you might've improved your score by 50K, whatever it relates to in HSC points.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I think, cos the points thing on the girder screen exploits a bug and it's easy to score heavily without too much risk, we should ban it.

I tried it and I was easily able to get an extra 5k and 10k on level 1 and 3 respectively, and Deteacher demonstrated getting an additional 15k or so on level 4. That's a lot of points, which would kind of spoil the HSC record.

However if others are happy with it, no problem

• Like 3