IGNORED

RespeQt and Baud Rate (Linux)

mr_gw454

Hello,

I'm trying to set the baud rate from 19,200 to 57,600 on a self-compiled version of RespeQt 4.3 (ebiguy fork) from git.  No errors during the compile and everything appears to be working except for the fact the baud rate stays set at 19,200 no matter what changes I make in the configuration/settings.

Manually setting the COM port baud rate (prior to running RespeQt) doesn't resolve the issue.

I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 (64bit).  The connection from my workstation to my 800XL is via a USB port (/dev/ttyUSB0) with a SIO2USB adapter.

Thanks!

Did you try your compiled software with an Atari ?

I mean that the current speed is toggled while the Atari send SIO commands to RespeQt.

The RespeQt code toggles the speed between 19200 and the one you selected in the configuration when the SIO command is not understood, assuming the SIO speed does not match the COM port speed.

So, to check if the configured speed is used, you have to try a communication with the Atari.

Just looking at the status bar is not enough.

You can also set a breakpoint and debug to understand what is happening in your particular context.

Hope it helps.

3 hours ago, ebiguy said:

Did you try your compiled software with an Atari ?

I mean that the current speed is toggled while the Atari send SIO commands to RespeQt.

The RespeQt code toggles the speed between 19200 and the one you selected in the configuration when the SIO command is not understood, assuming the SIO speed does not match the COM port speed.

So, to check if the configured speed is used, you have to try a communication with the Atari.

Just looking at the status bar is not enough.

You can also set a breakpoint and debug to understand what is happening in your particular context.

Hope it helps.

I did test with my 800X and it seemed to stay at 19,200.  Performance results when using RWTEST confirmed it.  For whatever reason, I saw the speed jump to 57,600 (in the status bar) after a reboot of my laptop and the RWTEST results were much higher.  Can't explain what changed.  I am using DSR handshaking and 3X speed setting (not the POKEY divisor setting).

BTW, thank you for the quick response.  :)

11 hours ago, ebiguy said:

I never experienced the behavior you have but I am on Windows.

I am also using DSR but with pokey divisor 10.

Could you try divisor 10 (I think it is the same as x3 IIRC)

It works, but comes up as 52.400 baud.

Performance is a bit down from the 57,600 (which would be expected).  The good thing is RespeQt is adjusting the baud rate now.

• 4 months later...

I have this same problem on Windows, I haven't used Respqt for some time, but needed a quick way to copy files from

my PC using Altirra to my 800 by copying files to a .ATR and then mounting in RespQt.

This works fine except that a disk fomatted with ultra speed and runs that way in  Altirra will only run at normal SIO baud rates

when connected to my 800. Also if I copy the .ATR to my SDrive-MAX it also runs ok at high speed.

I notice that when RespQt starts it does so at 19,200 baud even though the COM port is set to 115,000

I can't find any setting that overrides the 19,200, people say change the POKEY Divisor , how do you do that, where is the setting.

BTW. my 800 has Incognito fitted and is set to use High Speed SIO which it does with SDrive and "real" US Doubler drives

any help would be appreciated

let's try this using different wording...

change the setting from software (SIO2BT) to a normal handshake method

then you will see baud rates...

SIO commands were mostly initiated at 19,200 and then switched to the higher rates after that...

in respeqt go to

TOOLS

OPTIONS

SERIAL PORT (backends)

standard serial ports

look for handshake, if you have a device specific setting like SOFTWARE (SIO2BT)...

change it so a standard serial handshake setting...

other settings will appear...

device specific ones like SIO2BT have a preset profile and hide settings that don't pertain to them

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just tried all the settings, only way it works is with "no handshaking" with baud rates 19200,34800 and 57500

no other handshake modes work other than the SIO2BT which as we know is slow 19200.

At 57600 it seems a bit hit and miss, it starts to load a program, pauses, continues, pauses again and does this

until it loads ok. However sometimes it does it in one go.

If I use Pokey Divisor the lowest I can use is 11 which = 49489 at this speed it seems to work fine, so thats where I

plan to leave the settings.

Maybe it's a limit of the chip I used in the SIO2PC, I did build it maybe 20 years ago (whenever Nick Kennedy published it)

if you are using an rs232 sio2pc ultra speed is the best you can probably do. if you can't reach that, make sure the caps are clipped off the SIO of any XL XE machine that has them.

At least your faster now. It's possible you might update or rework your device... divisor zero is only going to happen with a usb variant these days.

did you mess with the rising falling edge settings as well?