IGNORED

Building a custom control panel

scotty

Need advice. I Already have 2 X-Arcades, a Tank Stick and a 2-Player. Yes, i know the sticks and buttons suck, but that is a later project. For now I am looking at building a few dedicated controls for games that need them. I plan on a dedicated Defender/Stargate panel, a Tapper/Ice cold beer tapper and a few others. My first is going to be a combo Asteroids/Q*bert panel. Asteroids layout with a 45 degree 4way stick mounted for Qbert, Qberts Cubes, Congo Bongo etc....mounted in the middle, above the Asteroids layout. I am using leaf buttons for asteroids, and am looking for recommendations for a good stick with a SMALL ball that will mount in a 3/4" wood panel for the diagonal games. Something with a short throw just like the real machine. I am in the USA, so preferably US sellers, although i do like Iltimark. Suggestions?

It all kind of depends on how you want to mount the stick under the wood panel.  A lot of old cabinets had the underside of the wood C.P. routed out for the joystick area so that it wasn't truly mounted through the full-depth (3/4") of wood...a lot of times simply through a steel panel/plate with minimal thickness.  Basically all of the modern candy cabinet sticks (Sanwa, Seimitsu, and the likes), will only "work" height-wise, if this same concept is replicated, or you could use shaft extensions (assuming a threaded shaft top) which are available for 6mm threading.  The original Rotterdam joystick used in Q*bert had a ball "approximately" 30mm (1-1/8" - 1-1/4") in diameter (and are currently worth about $200 to buy refurbished)...so if you end up with a stick with a replaceable ball knob, then just get whatever size ball you want.  25mm, 30mm, 35mm, 38mm, and 45mm are all pretty readily available sizes, at least in black/red/white colors.  Here's a few pics of some of the controllers I've made:

Defender, Mouse Trap, and Vanguard - VVG Experience Controllers for the ColecoVision:

1CK3vA.jpg

Here's a pic of the Q*bert - VVG Joystick Controller I made for the ColecoVision, with joystick rotated 45 degrees for Q*bert!, Q*Bert's Qubes, & Congo Bongo (with "smaller" 30mm ball knob):

IaO32M.png

And here are the 2 Asteroids controllers I've made for Coleco/Atari and similar consoles (featuring leaf-switch push-buttons):

Upright Edition:

jJIYVH.png

Cabaret Edition:

RCSdUy.png

I buy "new" arcade parts from the following vendors:

Arcade Renovations

Arcade Shop

Arcade Shock

Focus Attack

Groovy Game Gear

Paradise Arcade

Ultimarc

If you're looking for authentic/original vintage controls for any projects, best to check ebay or the arcade forums over at KLOV.  That's where I sourced the original Atari joysticks for my Gauntlet Edition - VVG Experience Controllers:

G6J0wJ.png

and the 2-way paddle/lever controller for my Space Invaders Cocktail - VVG Experience Controller:

JAOKlr.png

There is a lot of different hardware available (both new and vintage), but in the end a lot of it will come down to price and what you're comfortable with paying for something.  I've paid anywhere between $15 - $125 for a single joystick, and $2.25 - $12.50 per push-button. 

If you need any other info, or looking for something specific that you can't find, let me know and maybe I can help you out.  

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 1