IGNORED

160B Banners

Muddyfunster

If you want to force your GUI editor to give consistent indexes, there's a couple ways you can try to do that.

First, you can create images slightly taller than a zone height, and put pixels on the bottom line from all of the colors. That will force consistent indexes. Note: this assumes you have "set tallsprites off".

Second, it looks like I have an undocumented update in the latest 7800basic for reading extra sprite data. (it's been too long between active releases, and my documentation has been sketchy) If you "set tallsprite spritesheet", then any sprite data taller than a zone will be split up into separate zone-height sprites. That's helpful if they're all animation frames, since they'll all have the same index data. The limitation is, the extra sprites won't have their own sprite names, so you need to reference them with the sprite-sheet name and the plotsprite frame parameter. I believe you can also "set tallsprite off", if you want to later use taller sprites without importing all of the data.

Looks like I need to update the docs and get a sample out too.

Note that none of this applies to banners. They can now be as wide as you like, so no need to chop them up, which side-steps the index consistency problems there.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

If you didn't know, you can reorder the assignment of the palette of your image with your palette when you import your graphics. 

If your editor of choice lets you see the palette of your saved image then you can compare the two and set your import parameters accordingly.

Thanks SmittyB, it's the import parameters that I'm struggling with. I'm mostly using Gimp 2.1

I kinda get the concept of the colour index but when I alter it to try and match to my original idea in the editor, I don't seem to make much headway. Changing the sequence should put a different colour in a different slot by my understanding (sorry for murdering the syntax!), but lining them up as intended, that's where I think I'm falling down. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't despite hours of trial and error. 

On 3+1 regular palettes it's fairly straight forward and I can manage that ok. On a 12+1 its a bit of an issue for me I think due to the number of permutations. There's probably something i'm overlooking or something I've missed that makes this a lot easier or an easier workflow.

[edit] noting that i'm talking about sprites as the "anysize" banners in 0.7 is great :)

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks SmittyB, it's the import parameters that I'm struggling with. I'm mostly using Gimp 2.1

I kinda get the concept of the colour index but when I alter it to try and match to my original idea in the editor, I don't seem to make much headway. Changing the sequence should put a different colour in a different slot by my understanding (sorry for murdering the syntax!), but lining them up as intended, that's where I think I'm falling down. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't despite hours of trial and error. 

On 3+1 regular palettes it's fairly straight forward and I can manage that ok. On a 12+1 its a bit of an issue for me I think due to the number of permutations. There's probably something i'm overlooking or something I've missed that makes this a lot easier or an easier workflow.

[edit] noting that i'm talking about sprites as the "anysize" banners in 0.7 is great :)

Watch out for the transparent (+1) indexes. So 0, 4, 8, 12. 

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

Watch out for the transparent (+1) indexes. So 0, 4, 8, 12. 

This! - thanks Mat!

Plus some of my insanity was self inflicted, I was calling palette 5 twice and no palette 6 so no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't understand why P6 would not change. I came back an hour later and boom, there is the error.  Grr...!

Steaming on now though. I've got banners displaying and sprites moving. All experimental for now but I am thinking of something like converting DareDevil to 7800 Basic as a learning project.

Despite my early (mostly self inflicted frustrations) 7800Basic is a  lot of fun! (thanks @RevEng!) 

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

All experimental for now but I am thinking of something like converting DareDevil to 7800 Basic as a learning project.

Looking forward to whatever you come up with whenever you do so.  Thanks for giving the console a spin!

And...Link.

Familiar, yet new take on a 'drop-down' game.  Great work!

• Like 3