IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Some 2 Player Games Doesn´t work against each other

Hello, I hope, somebody here can help me.

I bought the Atari Flashback X. When I try to play games like "Pong" oder "Steet Racer" with 2 players against each other, the second controller doesn´t work. When I choose 2 Players in a team against the CGI, it works. This can´t be normal, is my Atari Flashback X defective? 

Thanks for the answers. 

While I'm unsure if I'm 100% following your post, I believe I have the gist of it and suspect you're possibly mixed up by the default game modes for these two games.

The first two games in Video Olympics/Pong Sport are single player games, so you need to move to at least game 3 if you want to get some reaction out of the second paddle controller. And if you have two pairs of paddle controllers plugged in for a 3 or 4 person game, you need to move to a 3 or 4 person game mode in order to get a reaction from the second set of paddles in controller port 2 (Game 5 is one such mode that offers 4 person multiplayer).

And while Street Racer has no AI, game 1 is actually a single player mode with you racing the clock. Move to game 2 for a 2 player mode where the set of paddles you've plugged into the left controller port will both be active. It also has 3 and 4 person game modes if you have two pairs of controllers, with Game 4 the first one that offers full 4 person multiplayer.

Check the AtariAge rarity database for scanned manuals if you'd like further details on the game modes, what the difficulty switches do, etc. The various game options in many 2600 games are frequently not obvious when going in blind or if you've been away for a few years, so looking up the manual is often a helpful thing to do. 

https://atariage.com/software_search.php?SystemID=2600

And even when you're familiar with a game, the options chart in many of Atari's manuals is helpful to pinpoint the mode you want in some of the earlier releases that can have dozens of game variations like Asteroids and Missile Command. 

Edited by Atariboy

When I choose "Pong", I wanna play 1-On-1 with 2 Players, so I choose Game 3. But only the left controller works, the right doesn´t. I can´t believe that there´s a paddle absolutely necessary, or is it??? By the way, I send the Atari Flashback X back and bought the Flashback 9 Gold - but it´s the same bug on the gold! I wonder, if nobody noticed that? Doesn´t two people tried to blay pong or street racer against each other with two controller?

And doesn´t any firmware exist to fix this bug?

The Flashback 9 doesn't work with Atari 2600 paddle controllers without modifying the controllers. Have you confirmed that your set of 2600 paddle controllers works with original hardware? Sounds like there may be a short in the cable that splits off to to the right paddle. 

And I hope this doesn't sound insulting, but you're talking about these controllers, correct?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkmnuhA0X__eBPWKZtj8i

I ask since as I recall on my Flashback 9, AtGames allows the standard joystick to control the built-in paddle games. But I suspect it's a workaround that may only work for single player paddle games. My system isn't connected at the moment since the Retron '77 has taken its place, but I'm thinking that perhaps joystick #2 can't be used by a 2nd player in paddle games since the right controller port where the joystick is plugged into is supposed to be where the 2nd pair of paddles are inserted for a 3rd and 4th player. 

Edited by Atariboy

On 2/23/2020 at 5:48 AM, Atariboy said:

The Flashback 9 doesn't work with Atari 2600 paddle controllers without modifying the controllers. Have you confirmed that your set of 2600 paddle controllers works with original hardware? Sounds like there may be a short in the cable that splits off to to the right paddle. 

And I hope this doesn't sound insulting, but you're talking about these controllers, correct?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkmnuhA0X__eBPWKZtj8i

I ask since as I recall on my Flashback 9, AtGames allows the standard joystick to control the built-in paddle games. But I suspect it's a workaround that may only work for single player paddle games. My system isn't connected at the moment since the Retron '77 has taken its place, but I'm thinking that perhaps joystick #2 can't be used by a 2nd player in paddle games since the right controller port where the joystick is plugged into is supposed to be where the 2nd pair of paddles are inserted for a 3rd and 4th player. 

What needs modified on the 2600 paddles to work on flashback? I played a paddle game just fine and both players worked for me. And the flashback 9, 9 gold and x use stella 3.xx which allows use of both paddles and joysticks. 

Edited by pimpmaul69

It has nothing to do with Stella. Paddle compatibility has been widely discussed here with the HD iterations of the Atari Flashback 9. AtGames changed something with their internal hardware with the plan to produce higher resolution paddle controllers (Breaking compatibility with original Atari 2600 paddle accessories in the process), but never came through with the actual controller that was promised.

If paddles work for you on the Atari Flashback 9/9 Gold and haven't been modified to do so, you're either mistaken on the particular version of the system you own, or you actually own the composite video iteration of the Flashback 9.

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/15/hardware-mod-to-support-standard-paddles-on-atari-flashback-9-and-9-gold/

Edited by Atariboy

• 4 weeks later...