IGNORED

Season 17 Round 2 - Kung Fu

asponge

At the suggestion of Tempest, this season we're playing all black box titles.  The season will be 14 rounds long as we're going to skip some of the games we've played recently and others that just don't work for the HSC.  See later in this post for the list of upcoming titles.  This round we're playing Kung Fu - Game B.

1005780725_KungFuCartridge.png.119dbe08b9c43f27fa379996ef1c9f44.png 730273568_KungFuScreenshot.png.11dd880d481cbd416c89d669a9a1ae9b.png

Game Rules:

Game B

Point Pressing is Allowed

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday March 1 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

169,970 by Lauren Tyler posted on 11/1/2006

Scores as of 3/1:

bubufubu     679,700
Tempest      304,330
asponge      196,660
fakecortex   149,130
mbd30        139,540
S.BAZ        129,370
rubeon       121,850
Floyd Turbo   91,200
empsolo       31,520
roadrunner    27,750
jblenkle      14,400
Mangia-Boy     4,700

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.97c981942721204c7dc8685ee747f70a.png

Remaining Black Box Season Titles:
10-Yard Fight

Balloon Fight

Baseball

Devil World

Donkey Kong Jr.

Excitebike

Ice Climber

Mach Rider

Pinball

Soccer

Urban Champion

Wrecking Crew

Note: This will not be the play order.

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 14 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    165220810_ScoreChart.png.a1c8d9e413e5f4809fcfbe8d29367b15.png

I forgot to mention that we can also add Devil World to that list.  It's a REALLY fun maze game that only came out in Japan and Europe because of the word DEVIL in the title (and the crosses in the game I guess).  I really think it should be added if it's not too late.

Man game B is tough!  By the time you get to the third floor there's nothing but knife throwers!  They not only like to sandwich you, but they also run away!  Also, aren't the enemies supposed to run away when you get to a boss?  I had to defeat the Boomerang dude with a knife thrower attacking me!

kung.thumb.JPG.321cc3cf17bdea5678ea577fee5d9c1c.JPG

1 hour ago, asponge said:

That's an amazing score, but I can't accept it because you're point pressing which is prohibited by the HSC rules.  You're clearly skilled enough at this game to put up a huge score without it.

Thanks for reminding about the point press rule because I was going to do the same.  I'm used to doing it when playing this game for score.

24 minutes ago, Tempest said:

How do you point press in this game?  You get more points from left over time than you could killing guys at the end of the level.  At least I think you do.

If your 12th opponent is a hugger and you jump kick him, you get 5k. This adds up when you point press.

2 hours ago, asponge said:

That's an amazing score, but I can't accept it because you're point pressing which is prohibited by the HSC rules.  You're clearly skilled enough at this game to put up a huge score without it.

I'm at a loss for why point pressing would not be allowed in a high score contest.  So many score tracking sites wouldn't even exist without that option.  This has been well thought over by score enthusiasts for decades.  It is not the same as leeching.  You have limitations and you must be skilled to achieve great scores.  In Kung Fu, specifically, there's a timer for every stage and you are allowed a maximum of 4 lives.  You are not able to earn anymore than that.  Further, the game gets very, very difficult from Loop 4 onward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asponge said:

You're clearly skilled enough at this game to put up a huge score without it.

A huge score in Kung Fu without point pressing??

No offense, but that possibility simply doesn't fit with the nature of this game.  First of all, my score isn't huge.  Votava could probably score into the millions, even on Game B.  I screwed up plenty and also got lucky quite a few times.  Stage 3 boss can take off 80-90% of your health with one hit.  As the loops go by, knives are thrown faster.  Regular enemies crowd you during boss fights.  The wasps/bees move much faster.  The ceiling drops in Stage 2 get faster & faster and can kill you in two hits.

I wouldn't have managed the score I did without point pressing.  It's absolutely necessary if you want to get scores like this or better for Kung Fu.

24 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

I'm at a loss for why point pressing would not be allowed in a high score contest.  So many score tracking sites wouldn't even exist without that option.  This has been well thought over by score enthusiasts for decades.

No point pressing has always been the rule in this HSC.  We're posting NES scores to an Atari site... These are casual competitions where players don't want to replay the same part of a game over and over again to achieve a score.  As mdb30 just stated, it becomes tedious.  We've previously discussed removing the point pressing rule and there wasn't strong support for it, so it remains.

Furthermore, this isn't a score tracking site.  There are plenty of other sites out there for that.

30 minutes ago, asponge said:

No point pressing has always been the rule in this HSC.  We're posting NES scores to an Atari site... These are casual competitions where players don't want to replay the same part of a game over and over again to achieve a score.  As mdb30 just stated, it becomes tedious.  We've previously discussed removing the point pressing rule and there wasn't strong support for it, so it remains.

Furthermore, this isn't a score tracking site.  There are plenty of other sites out there for that.

I was not aware that point pressing isn't allowed in this particular season of the NES HSC, run, specifically, by you.  I know it now.

That doesn't lessen my befuddlement any, though.  I realize that AtariAge is casual.  I have known this since 2014/15, perhaps sooner.  For goodness sake, I randomly booted this up and went for a score the other day.  I made, maybe 2-3 attempts and moved on.  And you won't catch me describing this score with any superlatives on here.

As far as players not wanting to replay the same part of a game, over and over, that's you speaking for you.  At least, from what I've seen over the years.  I have never, ever felt that way nor do I remember coming across posts in other high score threads where it was mentioned.  Scoring high and tediousness often go hand in hand.  Getting high scores in video games is supposed to be difficult.  It's supposed to require more focus.  Tediousness is a typical opponent.  It's a challenge and it doesn't make it any less fun for me.  At the same time, it's not as if I'm expecting any sort of prize for this score or for having the most points in a HSC.

I suggest, at the very least, that you take it game by game.  It's very nonsensical to outright ban point pressing in a high score contest, whether it's casual or not.  I mean, it's pretty much counterintuitive to have a competition for high score and then ban a, almost universally accepted, method of playing a game for points.

It's not a score tracking site to the extent of TwinGalaxies, Highscore.com, or shmups.system11.org, but it has been tracking and preserving NES high scores for several years now.

40 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Maybe this isn't the high score club for you then?  You seem like you're playing at another level than the rest of us.

It's not as if I'm a stranger.  I've been using this site for several years, back to the days when CGQuarterly was running it.  At the moment, this is the only time I can remember that a score of mine was not accepted by a moderator.

1 hour ago, bubufubu said:

I was not aware that point pressing isn't allowed in this particular season of the NES HSC, run, specifically, by you.  I know it now.

I suggest, at the very least, that you take it game by game.  It's very nonsensical to outright ban point pressing in a high score contest, whether it's casual or not.  I mean, it's pretty much counterintuitive to have a competition for high score and then ban a, almost universally accepted, method of playing a game for points.

Let's go to the tape: 

Again, this was a rule in this HSC before I became a member.  I've continued the rule in deference to the HSC.

43 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

As far as players not wanting to replay the same part of a game, over and over, that's you speaking for you.  At least, from what I've seen over the years.  I have never, ever felt that way nor do I remember coming across posts in other high score threads where it was mentioned.

It's been mentioned many times by other players than I, including within this very thread. 

48 minutes ago, bubufubu said:

If you believe that to be possible, then you are not very familiar with this game.

Yes, I believe you would have the best score of everyone participating in this round who were following the same rules.  I do not understand why that's a problem.

1 hour ago, bubufubu said:

It's not a score tracking site to the extent of TwinGalaxies, Highscore.com, or shmups.system11.org, but it has been tracking and preserving NES high scores for several years now.

As far as I know, I'm the only one preserving NES high scores from this site.  I do it for fun and for whomever wants to check out their stats over the years.  If you want to be immortalized, there many other sites for that.