IGNORED

Season 17 Round 2 - Kung Fu

asponge

I feel like we need some clear definitions, cause it seems like even the people who are in favor of pressing still see a difference with stuff like intentionally dying in order to replay a level. At least that's the way I feel. I'm not for camping, glitches, or infinite 1-ups (which I do think take away from the fun). Timers sort of police that and create a grey area. Like for Clu Clu Land last round, killing urchins got you more points than the time bonus- so was it point pressing to try to kill a few as the clock ran down or just a strategy? That clock went fast, so it was definitely a risk. Whereas, if there was no timer and you just sat around killing them, there would definitely have to be some restrictions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

I feel like we need some clear definitions, cause it seems like even the people who are in favor of pressing still see a difference with stuff like intentionally dying in order to replay a level. At least that's the way I feel. I'm not for camping, glitches, or infinite 1-ups (which I do think take away from the fun). Timers sort of police that and create a grey area. Like for Clu Clu Land last round, killing urchins got you more points than the time bonus- so was it point pressing to try to kill a few as the clock ran down or just a strategy? That clock went fast, so it was definitely a risk. Whereas, if there was no timer and you just sat around killing them, there would definitely have to be some restrictions.

Ok I'm ok with your second set of examples (killing urchins on the early stages) but not the first set of examples which makes the game not fun.  Like you said, maybe decide on a game by game basis?

• Like 1

I've mulled this over a bunch durring the last few days.  I'm not going to remove the rule in general, but instead note in the individual round threads when point pressing is ok.  This is the first round in just over two seasons where this has been an issue.  And, as noted by myself and several other players some of these games can become tedious to play even with a timer.  Making an exception here and there for timed games solves the problem better than trying to come up with another ambiguous blanket rule. 

I'll update the season rules in an attempt to clarify the definition of point pressing as it applies to this HSC.  As for this round, we've still got the better part a week left. If you want to point press, go for it. 

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. Let's get back to playing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

I suck at Kung Fu b mode so my score won't be too hot with or without point pressing.

Well I don't think anyone is going to beat bubufubu anyway.  I can only hope that he's not this good at all the games or this is going to be a very boring competition.

• Sad 1

I don't point-press in Kung Fu because it's too dangerous, and the time bonus seems to give me more anyway.

Personally, I love it when strong players participate.  I don't get bored when a player consistently scores more than me.  In fact, that's usually what happens in the HSC's, and it adds to the fun.  In fact, the thing that brought me here is: this is where I was finding the biggest scores for Atari & NES games.  (2012)  I wanted to challenge myself.

8 minutes ago, S.BAZ said:

Personally, I love it when strong players participate.  I don't get bored when a player consistently scores more than me.  In fact, that's usually what happens in the HSC's, and it adds to the fun.  In fact, the thing that brought me here is: this is where I was finding the biggest scores for Atari & NES games.  (2012)  I wanted to challenge myself.

True, but everyone generally wants to think that they at least have a chance to win.  

22 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I feel like we need some clear definitions, cause it seems like even the people who are in favor of pressing still see a difference with stuff like intentionally dying in order to replay a level.

Agreed.  I've updated the season rules using some of your verbiage (thanks), to hopefully put a finer point on what's ok and what's not. 

If you all see anything that you think needs to be included feel free to pipe up.

• Thanks 1

No more Kung Fu fighting.

Points Awarded:

bubufubu     679,700   +25
Tempest      304,330   +20
asponge      196,660   +17
fakecortex   149,130   +14
mbd30        139,540   +12
S.BAZ        129,370   +10
rubeon       121,850    +8
Floyd Turbo   91,200    +7
empsolo       31,520    +6