IGNORED

Misaligned vectors

big10p

My Vectrex seems to have some issue with vectors being misaligned, or not joining together. This is most noticeable with the corner rooms in Clean Sweep (see pic).

I watched a couple of vids of the game and all the vectors there seemed to line up almost perfectly. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I've run through the test cart and adjusted so everything looks good, except for distortion test 1 - all the triangles around the screen wobble (don't know if this is normal). Vectrex has been fully re-capped, BTW.

Cheers

clean sweep.jpg

I've only just got this Vectrex, so haven't changed anything. The previous owner did the re-cap. Looking closer at the PCB, only the AY sound chip looks like it may be a replacement, but I assume this wouldn't affect the vectors. I watched a vid where a chap fixed a vector issue (albeit a bit different to mine) by replacing the socketed LF347N IC, so I will probably try that.

Sorry, what/where is the VIA? New to all this.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, big10p said:

Sorry, what/where is the VIA? New to all this.

The VIA is the 6522 which is effectively the vector generator on this machine. different models may have marginally different timing, and Clean Sweep is such a hack that it is extremely sensitive to timing differences.

30 minutes ago, gtoal said:

The VIA is the 6522 which is effectively the vector generator on this machine. different models may have marginally different timing, and Clean Sweep is such a hack that it is extremely sensitive to timing differences.

Ah, useful information. Thanks.

Now you've pointed out the 6522, it's possible it has been replaced, as it looks very clean (see pics). Difficult for me to tell though, as the whole PCB is pretty clean, in general. Can you tell by the marking on it?

pcb1.jpg

pcb2.jpg