IGNORED

160B Sprites

Muddyfunster

On 7/21/2020 at 6:32 PM, Muddyfunster said:

160B is really nice but it comes at a price, the graphics take a lot more space to store. 

If it's just 1 sprite, I adjust the palette to the sprite, if it's more than 1 frame or sprite  then I tend to move the indexes to match each. I find setting every colour to something not in the sprite (like bright pink) means you can check that all of the transparency index are right. I then change 1 colour to say white, see where it changes on the sprite and substitute the correct colour. It sounds long winded but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. With 160A it's much quicker due to only being 3 colours instead of 12. The biggest pain is usually transparency indexes going awry.

Not just that but the DMA is also doubled!

On 2/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks @Trebor & @RevEng

I tried making my sprites thinner and maintain the height so they didn't look so chunky, that worked really well and I think for certain sprites that would be best, I guess it's situational. I also tried increasing the height per @RevEng's suggestion and that also worked really well but I've always liked big tall sprites.

My first try looked ok in the sprite editor (left sprite) but jebus, you would have needed a team of sherpas to cross the guy's chest when he rendered in 160.

image.png.c64502ab790233a52ab2286b8f50ff2e.png

I made him taller and slimmed him down just a touch and those proportions worked out nice when rendered. The barbarian is a bit meaty still across the chest but I think he wears it well.

image.png.2a8df065023cf16b85ad0102f6cc601b.png

Finally getting the hang of indexes and palettes!

Dude, you should be an artist- You'd make a good one.

For Sega genesis and 320B, I'd actually ask you for the art for my games instead.

2 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Let me know if PoP comes off.  Would love to do the music ... would give the 7800 version a unique feel.  POKEY, or Yamaha would do well.

Yes, a real platformer would be nice. Not ICT because... well, I've made 30 ICT games. And only ONE got a proper finish. (ICT2600) All of them are unfinished in some way.