IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seems so far there are 2 Lynx packages, less games but perhaps better quality ones on the 2nd.  I'm like mixed on it, there are some good titles there, and that's crazy enough that it covers 1/3 of the total released library of the period.  Shame is that some of its most amazing games were the non-Atari arcade/console games which it lacks, and no Gauntlet which is weird.  I still feel the game prices are very worth it at $20, perfect budget level on such things.  I wonder if they'll continue with more from the handheld as it wouldn't be hard if licensing were made right to do the whole library over probably 6 carts.

The entire Lynx Library is not going to happen. It is caused by Batman Returns and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. 

Blaze Entertainment multiple times answered questions about games based on movie IPS, Comic Book IPS, and cartoon IPS. 

They stated they are not interest putting those type of games on Evercade due to the amount of licensed companies they have to go through for one game. 

All mine have officially arrived. The system is plugged in atm so it'll be charged later so I can try it out later. Seems just as durable (feeling) as say, agb handheld. I'll say more as I play with it. I'm going to get a lot of time in since I'm now quarantined :(

3 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

The entire Lynx Library is not going to happen.

... no, but perhaps we’ll at least see a decent run of everything not bound to film-licenses: warbirds, stun runner, etc, etc, ie Lynx collections 3-6 (at least)...?

Could be sorta cool...

48 minutes ago, Giles N said:

... no, but perhaps we’ll at least see a decent run of everything not bound to film-licenses: warbirds, stun runner, etc, etc, ie Lynx collections 3-6 (at least)...?

Could be sorta cool...

It would be cool. I think a 3rd collection is possible. Blaze already has Namco and Technos. The Lynx has Double Dragon, Block out, Pac-Land, and Ms Pac-Man. Songbird Productions has the rights to Battlezone 2000 and they are working on a couple games for the Lynx they are hope to be released this fall in Sky Raider and Quadromania Redux. 

I actually have no idea if Stun Runner is possible. It comes down to not knowing for sure who owns the arcade rights Atari Corp game titles including Stun Runner.  I'm guessing Warner Interactive Entertainment since they do have rights to Midway IPS. Midway owned the old Atari arcade division before they closed it. The problem with Warner is the rumors of A & T wanting to sell the Warner Interactive  Entertainment Video game division and its video game IPS separately.  

I know Tramiel had to get a licenses for  porting Atari Games corp. Arcade titles to the Lynx including Stun Runner. That means the current Atari does not have Stun Runner rights. 

Lynx Tecmo ports is something I have no idea on. Blaze Entertainment had no given a direct answer on if they got Tecmo on board for doing an Evercade collection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

So, what do you think so far?

I'm really enjoying it.  It's cool to be able to use a cart, select the games and play.  The controller has worked well for all the games I've tried so far.  Looking forward to more collections.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

I'm really enjoying it.  It's cool to be able to use a cart, select the games and play.  The controller has worked well for all the games I've tried so far.  Looking forward to more collections.  :)

Sounds promising!

I look forward to getting mine in the mailbox/at postoffice!

Played through the first Atari collection. I couldn't figure out how to start double dunk, other than that, all the games worked. Most the 7800 games I don't own, so I can't say how well they emulate, but the 2600 titles are as good as the more recent console emus. Night driver is barely playable, but it's properly a paddle game so I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it did.

The buttons are great, despite being rather large, they feel good, and are responsive. The d pad I was worried about, but have had no problems with it. The screen is really nice too, yes it's low res, but it works well for the Atari games. I've played for a couple hours, and not experienced any crashing issue, despite my random jumping in and out of games like a kid on Christmas day in the early 80's lol. Oh, and the cart is extremely tight in the system, as well as practically being seamless when inserted into the handheld, making this a decent pocketable system, though I could see it catching the label while being inserted or removed from the system, time will tell.

Over all, I'd say this is a pretty nice little system, and feels like something one of the big boys came up with, rather than some unknown (to me) company. Hopefully it gets many more games and collections over the next year or two.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

The entire Lynx Library is not going to happen. It is caused by Batman Returns and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. 

Blaze Entertainment multiple times answered questions about games based on movie IPS, Comic Book IPS, and cartoon IPS. 

They stated they are not interest putting those type of games on Evercade due to the amount of licensed companies they have to go through for one game. 

Oh totally I get that, I wasn't thinking that level of crazy.  But I remembered games like the atari branded stuff, rampage, gauntlet, klax, stuff like that would be awesome.  Seems glaring not to be there, but maybe that greedy frog who bought up Atari wanted too much.  Yes there are stories there why I'd say that, and they're valid, just not one I'd type out. :D

15 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh totally I get that, I wasn't thinking that level of crazy.  But I remembered games like the atari branded stuff, rampage, gauntlet, klax, stuff like that would be awesome.  Seems glaring not to be there, but maybe that greedy frog who bought up Atari wanted too much.  Yes there are stories there why I'd say that, and they're valid, just not one I'd type out. :D

Present day Atari has limited Lynx title holdings these days.

I've fully run the system down and recharged twice already. I'm on the third cart now (data east collection) and have so far, not run into any issues at all.

The second cart, namco, is emulating some console, rather than the arcade, at least for pacman. I've played a lot of variants of pacman, but I couldn't tell you which console had orange dots and pacman. Looks like something that would have been done in 7800, but I don't recall Pac man being on there.

Anyhow, so far, having a great time with this system. I'll need to find a mini (micro?) HDMI and see how it handles on tv.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention, carts have the game name on the back as well, so you can see what cart is inserted without removing it, or powering the system on. Also, the boxes have the cart number listed on the spine, it that continues, it could make it easy to find a cart you missed, if you did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Video said:

I've fully run the system down and recharged twice already. I'm on the third cart now (data east collection) and have so far, not run into any issues at all.

The second cart, namco, is emulating some console, rather than the arcade, at least for pacman. I've played a lot of variants of pacman, but I couldn't tell you which console had orange dots and pacman. Looks like something that would have been done in 7800, but I don't recall Pac man being on there.

Anyhow, so far, having a great time with this system. I'll need to find a mini (micro?) HDMI and see how it handles on tv.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention, carts have the game name on the back as well, so you can see what cart is inserted without removing it, or powering the system on. Also, the boxes have the cart number listed on the spine, it that continues, it could make it easy to find a cart you missed, if you did.

Pac-Man on the Namco cart I believe is the Nes version. What I know about Namco collection 1 is there is no arcade ports at all.

Blaze Entertainment mentioned they will be doing arcade collections next year including Namco.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

Pac-Man on the Namco cart I believe is the Nes version. What I know about Namco collection 1 is there is no arcade ports at all.

Blaze Entertainment mentioned they will be doing arcade collections next year including Namco.

The NES versions have all just been released on the Namco Archives vol 1,2 for the Xbox 1/PS4/PC, which are actually pretty cool.

If the evercade does ever get the arcade versions, I would consider it.

later

Well I'd pick up the arcades once they come out. Nothing against nintendo, or Nintendo versions of games, but by the time I got in on nes, I'd already had my till of arcade ports.

I find it funny the 2600 versions of many games (asteroids, centipede, millipede, etc) are often faster and more challenging than the 7800 versions.

I'm on the 6th charge, and seventh cart. Fixing to get into some weird stuff, never recalled piko or madcats games before. Probably played them, just don't recall them.

I'm definitely putting more time into this thing than I was expecting. The large buttons are great on fighter types where your hammering away on them. Doesn't help my lack of skill in that game type, but that's another topic lol.

I did see my younger brother play the Evercade. What I can concern is the handheld has no problems with sound without USB while doing a couple games on the 8 cartridges he has. The Namco Collections still didn't come yet despite pre ordering them from Funstock.  

The controls are fine also according to him. He tried all the Mega Cat studios collection with no problems on USB. What he did was wait till the Evercade was turned with the cartridge inside before putting in the USB.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Is it true that there's no way to adjust the difficulty switches for the Atari 2600 games?

there is some way, I've turned on and off the side drains on pinball,  I just think they lock after starting the game

edit: okay, the left difficulty switch can be switched to setting a by pressing the left trigger, but as far as I can tell it can't be switched back (at least for pinball)

edit 2, the revenge: left shoulder switches left switch to a, but you can't go back to b, right shoulder does the same for the right switch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, got to the piko cart, and this one is rather buggy and crash happy. Several games I've had to exit an restart to play, several have kicked me back to the game list, and one crashed hard enough to require turning the system off to restart. Games themselves are ok, but it's going to crash on you. Lot of rpg types on this one.

• Sad 1

Damn, I just preordered the Piko one along the Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood bundle. ? I beat Super Double Dragon from the Technos cartridge yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I had to do level 6 again, so saving doesn't always register it seems. :( It would be cool to have at least some kind of feedback when saving, even though a thumbnail would be even better.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Damn, I just preordered the Piko one along the Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood bundle. ? I beat Super Double Dragon from the Technos cartridge yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I had to do level 6 again, so saving doesn't always register it seems. :( It would be cool to have at least some kind of feedback when saving, even though a thumbnail would be even better.

i haven't experienced any crashes on the pico one, so maybe he just has a bad copy

I'm so glad I didn't jump in with this thing.

A handheld version of Top Gear for the Super Nintendo was a real temptation, but the recent My Life in Gaming episode mentions a game killing bug. When you activate your nitro in a race, it never deactivates.

While it would've been an interesting novelty to experience via a Game Genie code and such, it's a game breaking issue as far as I'm concerned. One of many instances with this product and the various collections that demonstrate a lack of attention to detail, play testing, and even just common sense where classic gaming is concerned (Flipped run/jump buttons, a physical button layout that matches the SNES but has buttons mapped differently, etc.). 

I'll keep my mind open as the system evolves, arcade compilations hopefully appear in 2021, etc. But for now, it's become abundantly clear that this wasn't ready for prime time in the state it launched in.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 1:39 PM, masschamber said:

i haven't experienced any crashes on the pico one, so maybe he just has a bad copy

That collection can be buggy and I think it is bad copy. The problem don't show up every time you put in the Piko Game cartridge. 

My younger brother put in the cartridge 3 times. My younger brother did not witness a crash on the first time while playing 2 games. The 2nd time, he was kicked out of the game after trying to use the save state. The games did not save. The 3rd time he put in the cartridge, the games saved using the save state. He was not kicked out of the game after using the save state. 

I know Blaze is working a firmware update for save state. More than one person had problems with the save states with the Piko cartridge. 

• Like 1