IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

1 hour ago, 7800Knight said:

I heard.

Given how people (and the authorities) will be on the lookout for these stolen units, how will these be sold?  The perpetrators can't just list them on Ebay.

It does make you wonder how much these folks really planned ahead. I suspect that they didn’t realize that what they were stealing would be obvious special editions. Sadly, once they realize that, they will probably destroy them all.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

It does make you wonder how much these folks really planned ahead. I suspect that they didn’t realize that what they were stealing would be obvious special editions. Sadly, once they realize that, they will probably destroy them all.

Or they may be sold in back alley deals...or on the Black Market.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Holy shit. This is unexpected. I almost bought one of these, too. This reminds me of that urban legend that states that most of the Sega Mega Jets on the market were actually stolen by pirates and then resold. I'd love to see Blaze kill these things with firmware updates, but it would suck if someone bought it and then killed it, so I suppose that might not even be the best way to do it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

I doubt that one of the, what, maybe 200 evercade fans worldwide decided to take all the exp units. The thieves probably don't know or especially care about evercade specifically, outside of what they can be sold for. If it was a targeted attack, as I think the discord hinted at, I suggest that the target was probably something else on the truck. :P

If blaze does start seriously talking about going through the trouble of bricking them, then it's probably best I get my VS offline too, since they'll probably just keep going with that.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That's an odd take. I don't see how it's overpriced.

It's like 70 bucks more for a carrying case, a 20 dollar cart, a keychain, and a bunch of paper garbage. That's completely insane to me. Nothing against anyone who bought one and I'm genuinely sorry this theft happened, but 70 bucks is a huge difference for what little extras they actually give you as opposed to the standard model.

Edited by famicommander
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, famicommander said:

It's like 70 bucks more for a carrying case, a 20 dollar cart, a keychain, and a bunch of paper garbage. That's completely insane to me. 

Gotta say, I agree.  A fool and his money, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I love my VS, but the pricing for the special editions is nuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

Is there going to be a free game this month on the Evercade VS?  I thought the free games went from April to December.  I've been checking the Evercade website and it doesn't show anything for the December game.

It was delayed by *gestures at everything* but it's coming.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Anybody know if you can load your own games+emulator now?  I'd love to test wrapping some of my 2600 and Genesis homebrew on it.

It's not designed for that and I doubt they'll ever enable that functionality since it would impact their business model, plus there are endless other systems that can do all of that and more. The closest for the Evercade is probably the EverSD that can probably do most of what you want.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's not designed for that and I doubt they'll ever enable that functionality since it would impact their business model, plus there are endless other systems that can do all of that and more. The closest for the Evercade is probably the EverSD that can probably do most of what you want.

Yeah.  Didn't want to deal with downgrading the firmware to re-enable things.  But, gotta do what you gotta do.  If they haven't blocked downgrading yet.  Or, forcing you to use newer firmware to run newer games.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Gemintronic said:

Anybody know if you can load your own games+emulator now?  I'd love to test wrapping some of my 2600 and Genesis homebrew on it.

The VS, and I'm guessing the EXP, are more picky about writing your own games/emulators to the retail carts with bone stock firmware. 

The original handheld is not so picky about it.

However, it would be easy for Blaze to detect and punish folks for it, should they start wanting to, and that TOS/AUP was a bit scary.

The way the carts work is beautifully simple.

In the post-retail evercade world, there is every chance this system will have some real legs with DIY.

Perhaps even a future for unlicensed retail releases, etc once Blaze moves on and stops updating the firmware.

(because ATM it could be pretty easily blocked by future updates)

But really, if your games are on par with the itch.io stuff on the indie heroes collections, maybe hit blaze up on the evercade discord and see if they'll include them on a future one, or as an easter egg, etc. There are a lot of official/employee accts active on there. I've also got a little homebrew from way back (link)--honestly nowhere near professional enough for one of their collections, but some day I'll make myself a little evercade cart of it, just for me.

P1110154-2.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4