IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

On 12/19/2022 at 8:14 PM, famicommander said:

I don't care the least bit what a console or handheld looks like. If it were 5 dollars cheaper I'd buy the ugliest version imaginable as long as it played games just as well and was comfortable to use.

Ugly ya say?

Might I recommend an Intellivision Amico  or (new) "atari" VCS?   Oh Wait!...You wanted something to play games well and be comfortable to use so, uh...Nevermind.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Ugly ya say?

Might I recommend an Intellivision Amico  or (new) "atari" VCS?   Oh Wait!...You wanted something to play games well and be comfortable to use so, uh...Nevermind.

Damn, you're mean! The VCS is (and isn't) a lot of things, but it's not ugly imho. 🥺

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Damn, you're mean! The VCS is (and isn't) a lot of things, but it's not ugly imho. 🥺

Once they named it "VCS" (and it'll Never be the VCS)...It was beyond dead to me...It looks like a little POS corpse. Very ugly to me.  Mostly it feels like this version of "atari" tried to take away the name VCS so people interested in true Atari would be forced to look at their little corpse and see this company (which hasn't been nice to certain people around here), and it would say, See?  We're "Atari"...We wear the skin of your once mighty Atari,  Our vanquished foe,  bought for a price...Now you can't even look up stuff on the internet about the beloved Atari of old...Without our zombie brand showing up.

But hey,  to each his own...

(Oof!TM  Maybe,  I better end on a lighter note)

r5v4v.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Once they named it "VCS" (and it'll Never be the VCS)...It was beyond dead to me...It looks like a little POS corpse. Very ugly to me.  Mostly it feels like this version of "atari" tried to take away the name VCS so people interested in true Atari would be forced to look at their little corpse and see this company (which hasn't been nice to certain people around here), and it would say, See?  We're "Atari"...We wear the skin of your once mighty Atari,  Our vanquished foe,  bought for a price...Now you can't even look up stuff on the internet about the beloved Atari of old...Without our zombie brand showing up.

But hey,  to each his own...

(Oof!TM  Maybe,  I better end on a lighter note)

r5v4v.jpg

So… not a fan?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

There was never one Atari. There were (at least) five separate Ataris that were all very different before this one.

Yet,  this is the one I don't like...

Note:  The others didn't employ Fred Chesnais, rip off Mr. Vendel, nor block publication of an AtariAger's book...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Yet,  this is the one I don't like...

Note:  The others didn't employ Fred Chesnais, rip off Mr. Vendel, nor block publication of an AtariAger's book...

And that Atari is gone now too, replaced with a better one. Though earlier Ataris certainly ripped off and abused a ton of people.

• Like 1

So...how about some speculation on 2023 release for Evercade?

Blaze hinted at a Turbografx/PC Engine release on their Discord Q&A so that's good.

We'll probably see another Atari collection, either consoles (2600, 7800 and maybe 5200) or Lynx.

More arcade carts are a good bet though I can only speculate what publishers have signed on.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

So...how about some speculation on 2023 release for Evercade?

Blaze hinted at a Turbografx/PC Engine release on their Discord Q&A so that's good.

A collection of TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine games would rate highly on my want list.

I'd also be enthusiastic about another Lynx collection, especially since the first two were excellently done. (More on this in a moment.)

As far as arcade game collections are concerned, they need to open up negotiations with Warner to produce some collections of games from Midway, Williams, and Atari Games. While there were numerous releases on other platforms around 10-25 years ago, arcade-accurate renditions have been mostly ignored over the last decade. Time to open that vault once again!

Speaking of those games, how about licensing the Lynx versions of those arcade games? Many of the Lynx ports differ enough from the arcade games to be worth playing in their own right, and a few of them might even be considered to be better than the originals.

Now that they've opened the door to Amiga games on Evercade, I'm looking forward to seeing what fruit that will bear. I think they could start with a collection of the Turrican games, featuring the games from Amiga, SNES, and Genesis. I'd also like to see some of the Amiga games from Psygnosis on Evercade, but that might be a tall order, considering that Sony owns the rights to that library, and they rarely even release those games on their own systems.

Edited by Agent X
  • Like 4

I'm in favor of a Seibu Kaihatsu arcade collection.

They did rail shooters like Dynamite Duke and Dead Angle, both of which I played in arcades!

They also did Wiz, which I played at arcades in Italy years ago.  This game was fun and I'd love to have it on Evercade.  It would fit in with the Evercade theme of having lesser known, offbeat & off-the-wall games.

• Like 3

The easiest for Blaze would be to release carts of arcade games already available on PS4 and Switch in the Arcade Archives series. There's already an overlap with the Data East, Jaleco, and Irem carts especially (second volumes could be possible of course), but they could also do: Tecmo, UPL, NMK, Nichibutsu, Sunsoft, Taito, Konami, and Video System. A lot of AA games are from Namco but it seems to be difficult for Blaze to negotiate with them.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 1:42 AM, Giles N said:

And now (unless of course you’ve emulated loading time) I can trudge through those cities… being the ultra-super-monster to be shot down in like … 5 minutes.
Never got good at it when I was 10.

Now, finally, I can set it right… by being the ultra-super-mega-monster to be shot down in 8 minutes and 37 seconds… 

But hey, this - a C64-collection is super-cool!!

Hope to see more coming…!

And if you at @Songbird can

@Songbird

So - you did actually go ahead a emulate loading… on Movie Monsters (!!) for the C64…!!

Well, I guess I should’ve understood right from the start: this is a  

h o r r o r    game, and are not made to make causal players sleep

easily…!

At least it not X-rated horror, as whats emulated is disc-loading time…

… pheww…

I didn’t get sucked into some 80ies backyard coin-op-Thing sucking me into a vortex of NeverEnding Loading-time… just a few seconds there, and Player is up and running as one of many familiar but anonyomized super-Monsters!!

Cool!

Cool that also super-Monsters needs some places where they can be anonymous, going by pseudonyms etc… Man, they’re from the 70ies and 80ies … ie 70ies and 80ies after Earths creation… no bloody wonder they want to use a anon-profile waking up in the communication-confusion-hell of the 2020ies…

Ok, Monsters stomping world-metropolises causing complete mass-hysteria… and 3-4 tanks to shoot them down… all well - its whats anyone would expect.

Every EPYX-production-office building, flattened utterly… nothing new here, everthing as usual… 

But…, and sometimes people testimg stuff, needs to dive into the bottom-depths of the most uncanny and unwholesome ‘but’s’ people can open and enter into… even if sheer hell.

Well, not quite that … but… I don’t get  London to work with any of the Monsters or missions…

After the audience have been fed the most extraordinarily spectacular opening…

… it loads…

… loads London…

… and it all goes black…

Part of the sheer horror that will make  one scream…?

Or … my Evercade has turned against me… as the first of sentient handheld-consoles to rise up against Man…?

Or … my cartridge was polluted with infectious-data-virus on its way to me…?

Or … did something uncanny and most-unspeakable happen by mistake (ie «mistake») by the hands of the most ingenious, yet so selfdetermined among the white-frocked Emulation-doctors in the hidden underground-departments of Songbird…?

Or… will all be well when the chosen Evercade EXP will come and with new download-contents will moove down all previous problems…?

Summary and conclusions:

Thanks for the C64-compilation.

All seems to run fairly well and and as ought to, but London-stage in Movie Monsters appears to not work, not load and play, with any setup of monsters or missions…

References:

- my experiences the last 36 hours trying to get London to load n play,

—-

Thanks to: Songbird for actually putting things out there, at such risks as these issues, grappling with rather than doing nothing…

Moreover… may a new Lynx-collection for the Evercade, … or well, actually 2 or 3 new collections would be even better… rise in the horizon of a stronger, better, more grandiose and futuristically dystopian retrogaming world… 

Afterword:

If nothing of the above made sense:

- is it only my Evercade C64 cart that has a problem when I try to play ‘London-level’ in ‘Movie-Monsters’ or should this be mended in future releases…?

I’ve yet to try it on Evercade VS and Evercade EXP.

Keep the cool gaming coming!

Greets…

• Like 1

I just discovered yesterday that saves are stored on carts and not on the system as I was assuming...

The reasons why I assumed that are:

• Firmware updates are always applied to the system, even when they include changes to specific carts
  • When they changed the saving system from 999 numbered saves to a few saves with thumbnails, old saves vanished
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I just discovered yesterday that saves are stored on carts and not on the system as I was assuming...

• When they changed the saving system from 999 numbered saves to a few saves with thumbnails, old saves vanished

I don't think I had an evercade back in that era. to check, and I really don't want to downgrade firmware, but over the years, they seem to have adjusted the save path from cart to cart, and slightly adjusted how they interact with firmware. I wonder if those '999 era' saves are actually still on the cart, but in the wrong place or wrong name, and could be renamed into the more modern format to get them working.

Looking at a newer game title, the saves are in:

/blastem/(gameID)/slot_(#).state

but a very old one had them right next to the roms/art in:

/game/(gameID).state(#)

Then I popped that same older game into the VS (don't think it'd ever been in there before) and the saves still read (probably not from the 999 era), but when I made another new save in a blank slot, it put it in the same path, but it also put a screenshot (for the VS's savestate menu) at:

/game/(gameid)/slot_(#).png that the other saves don't have, so they show as blackscreen.

Another game mystery is that some games get empty(?) folders at

/blastem/(gameID)/

which is actually true for both carts I looked at. At first I thought every game just got a folder, which may be true for the newer carts, but that older era cart has just two gameid folders in there, both empty, and keeps its saves elsewhere.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Something-about-Movie-Monsters I must remember…

Anyway, now we know what sort of movies the first expendable human crews too Mars, will get to watch …

(… with some nice ‘space-corn’ while watching…)

Edited by Giles N

On 12/31/2022 at 5:13 AM, jgkspsx said:
On 12/31/2022 at 5:13 AM, jgkspsx said:

I want to say that that is a known bug they plan to fix in the new year.

Beginning to sound more and more like politics and leaders …

«yes, yes» mr.reporter, we are aware there is a four-storey bug approaching us under water that may cause some unwanted 2-dimensionality to our city, spread of radioactivity and a few unfortunate cracks to buildings and streets, but - Don’t panic! don’t panic! - our safetyguards will handle any panicking families, - sit down or be shot-!! , and we plan to fix the bug

next year…

when theres less stress and not such much noize around it.

—-

But - thank-goodness !! It wasn’t spokemen for politicans, it was Songbird which actually just can come in to set things right, and combing the hottest c64 cartridge from the press while doing a similtaneous obi-wan-kentooken Neo-flying backflip-pluss-thunder-touchdown, and so to let us have our new digital Lynx-cart-fixes for the year…

Edited by Giles N

On 12/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, jgkspsx said:

On the Discord some people have made bingo cards for 2023 announcements. Here’s mine:

35A066D8-BBD7-4A20-87DD-C175A6DAECC0.png.e29358c38d69f8c15ee774b37b30583e.png

So, - people at Discord actually had to pull out their Bingo-tabletop games (borrowed from their grandmothers), and actually play … Bingo … instead of Evercade, IOS, PS5 and stuff like that…

Well, I think no Bingo-sheet for the Evercade 2023 is complete without Digital Pictures Collection 1’…!!

How can games move forward… or backward … (ie retro-gaming), if we cannot all enjoy Sewer Shark and Night Trap.

Digital Pictures should not be underestimated, having probably ruined more christmases than any other company out there, and its only by trapping Sega’s game-officials at night in tanks filled with sewers and sharks, they can have managed to escape detection and planted a title on the Genesis Mini 2… and goodness knows what’ll happen…next…

It may already have begun…

The effects may already be here:

At Discord people go back to the old ways - they play Bingo rather than video-games.

But I have to say you seem to clear-minded…

… many of these may seem logical, and it may be that Digital Pictures will hold back and just have ‘Night Trap’ with Sega1….

Strange how funny its to guess and put bets on things!!

Where can I play more Software-publisher-Bingo…!!!

Its awesome!!

Spectrum1, Amstrad1, sure, - Cave1, nope!

Piko, InTV and Lynx 3, probable.

Irem console: nope… they’ll go Arcade-only under ‘Irem’ from now on…

NeoGeo1, likely; but Channel F… never heard of them… Masaya…? 

Already looking forward to January 2023… so can play more game-publisher-Bingo at Discord…

• Like 2

I picked up an EXP from Songbird with the IREM and Toaplan carts. Expectations were low, but I have to admit this is a pretty nice handheld and so far there are no complaints about the emulation. For me there's not a lot I'm interested in outside of the arcade series, but I'll probably grab the Atari carts as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1