IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

22 hours ago, Songbird said:

That was something we discussed during Evercade testing. We decided to keep the games compatible with pre-existing manuals, in case fans decided to look them up. But I think the Evercade team has also talked about supporting a button remapping feature at some point.

I thought I heard tell on the Discord that it will be in the next set of updates. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, famicommander said:

It'll probably be most of the same crap on the Amiga 500 Mini.

I wouldn't have used the word "crap" but that was what I was going to answer, though. For legal reasons, it's quite certain they will go for the same publishers (Team17, Gremlin, and Bitmap Brothers, irrc), exactly like the C64 cart had games from Hewson and Epyx mostly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madman said:

I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't care about the Amiga release. I had some experience w/one in the early 90's, but there's no nostalgia for the computer for me. 

Way more nostalgia for the Amiga in Europe than here in the States.  Still, it has its diehards (mostly towards both of the coasts).  Hopefully the first collection won't be a complete retread of what has come before it.

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed on Europe. I will say when I visited my friend who had an Amiga I was absolutely blown away by the graphics at the time. I have nothing against the Amiga and like I've said the Evercade provides something for everyone. 

• Like 1

Not really familiar with the Amiga library but I'm hoping there will be a good selection of games and not re-treads from previous collections.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the Atari 2600 version of a game and then the Arcade collection releasing that version but if there's a c64 and Amiga release of the same game, how much of a difference can there be?

It's always fun to see the games when the announcement comes out... the anticipation and wonder can be fun.  Just need to keep my expectations/hopes in check.

• Like 1

Have a look at the games that come with the A500 Mini. There are a few that originated on other platforms, but most were developed with the Amiga in mind or significantly enhanced when ported to it. It's a clear generation ahead of the C64 and ports from that machine are typically a lot better, although it's still from the era where games had to be re-written from the ground up for new hardware, so that's not always a given.

I'd expect that the Evercade will get a slightly different selection, not least because some of them would be practically unplayable without mouse controls, but also because the people who licensed the games have a much larger pool of titles to pull from.

• Like 1

Finally got an evercade xs. First impressions is, I don't really like the menu system, it feels to busy. Games themselves still great, and you can now opt for "pixel perfect" which may shrink the image, or even full screen which uses the whole screen instead of pillar boxing it (I just leave it on stock, full height with pillars)

Now the system has extra a/b buttons so you could play vertically oriented games, but I don't know what titles support this, so no idea how well it works. Also extra shoulder buttons, so in theory it opens the system up to psx games that don't require the sticks. Electronic arts need for speed collection...woo! (Doubt that'll happen, but I can dream)

I don't like the system appears to not remember the volume, so when I turn it on, its loud every time, and with extra buttons, it could potentially have "xs only" games. And...does this thing potentially have an overheating problem? Its got a lot of vent holes. And hell no I'm not hooking to the internet. I'm pretty sure the first one didn't do that.

Anyhow, over all, I'd say hit and miss, playing games themselves, it seems the same, outside of you could play with resolution, but I'm just not sure about the console itself. I like the originals styling better.

• Like 1

I like the original’s styling too. I worry the people they’re going for with the “sleek” boring monochrome are the people who aren’t going to buy one of these in the first place.

I love the competition mode and secret games on the EXP. I do not love the speakers. It sounds way worse than the original.

Mine doesn’t get too hot but it gets warmer than I would like.

9 hours ago, Video said:

I don't like the system appears to not remember the volume, so when I turn it on, its loud every time

It bothered me at first too but actually the thing is to lower the volume in the settings, not with the volume buttons. The latter should only be used for temporary setting, which is interesting when you think about it.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

Thank you for that. I wouldn't have even tried adjusting sound through menus (I just assumed they worked the same way) but much better now.

I often won't bother with sound once I have it set to a point I think its not going to piss off potential third parties around me, as long as I can hear it enough to hear audio ques from the game.

You guys are right, a lot of the exp aesthetics are to appeal to modern gamers, or the iPhone crowd, both of witch are not really an aquirable market imo, even if this was available in bam stores (which to my knowledge, its not)

Oh, I said I didn't like the busy feeling menu, but I DO like the save menu, the old system had no indication of what (if anything) is saved in a slot, but the new system says, and even has a thumbnail of what's saved. Awesome!

Oh, and the console is charged with a USB C plug instead of a micro. I prefer the c plug, more durable, and doesn't have a preferred "up" to it, so easier to deal with.

• Like 2

I just started thinking about whether I'd like an Evercade or if it would be a terrible idea to add more to my collection right now when I'm trying to scale down (I mean, I literally started thinking about it yesterday). The Amiga collection is interesting to me and has some good games but certainly nothing that screams "buy now" to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keir said:

The Amiga collection is interesting to me

I was just thinking that too.

I'm kind of bored of buying the same old games over and over for different compilations (do I really need another Namco collection) but the evercade has some stuff that could be practical. Lynx collections, obscure arcade ports, and now this Amiga collection are making it harder for me to turn down.

• Like 3

Here’s the game list:

Arcade Pool

Alien Breed

Alien Breed 2

Alien Breed: Tower Assault

ATR: All Terrain Racing

Body Blows

Full Contact

Kingpin: Arcade Sports Series Bowling

Project X: Special Edition '93

Qwak

I love Qwak to bits. It is a Bubble Bobble inspired game visually but with its own containment mechanic that makes it more puzzleish, and it eventually gets really friggin’ hard but is very rewarding. I have mainly played the GBA port but the Amiga version looks more zoomed out and may be a little more manageable.

I have not played any of the others, which I’m excited about. I like new stuff instead of what I already know.

The fighting games aren’t really my thing, but it has been a while since we got one so that seems good. Pool and bowling look like great timekillers. The racing game looks decent, and I can always use another racing game.

The euroshmup looks very euroshmuppy - I expect that I will enjoy it more than most people because I grew up playing janky euroshmups more than the Japanese ones that came to define today’s tastes in the genre.

I have heard people ask for the Alien Breed games over and over and over, so my curiosity is piqued. I hope they live up to the hype!

• Like 1

When the announcement came out with the little video by Evercade on Twitter I watched it and was underwhelmed.  Then later that day, after work, I went on the website and checked the write up on each game and strangely, my interest has increased.

I don't know much about these games but I am interested in the collection.  Alien Breed has three titles here so that must mean it was a successful game at least.  That looks like something I'd give some time.  The two fighter games I can care less about... not much of a fighter fan.  However, that one fighter that looks like a wrestling game... is it a wrestling game or just a stage that looks like a wrestling game in a standard fighter?  That could change things.

I'll keep this collection on my radar and do some more investigating in the titles this weekend.

That reveals one of the two May titles... any idea when the second collection is going to be revealed?  Always interested in seeing what else is on the horizon.  

• Like 1

I think the evercade is a great idea if your scaling down. There's a wide variety of games for all sorts of consoles, computers, and even arcades. The downside is, of course, your limited to what gets released. In my case, Commodore will never do it for me as its missing favorites, like castles of Dr creep, mule, below the rot, mail order monsters, wavy navy, and so much more. There's little chance any of these will show up either. Despite being a no brainer, I also don't see Activision collections coming (did Activision just abandon their Atari titles?)

Here's hoping someone will eventually make something like ever card for this system. Kind of defeats the purpose of an easy cart based box with legitimate games, but would open it to those who want rather obscure titles, stuff that won't get released.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

However, that one fighter that looks like a wrestling game... is it a wrestling game or just a stage that looks like a wrestling game in a standard fighter? 

That reveals one of the two May titles... any idea when the second collection is going to be revealed?  Always interested in seeing what else is on the horizon.  

Body Blows is a fighting game with a wrestling stage. Probably isn’t going to be one of my favorites either.

If I understand the chatter right, the next announcement is coming on Thursday and preorders open Friday.

• Like 1