IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

very arguable indeed, especially since the handhelds can be connected to a TV as well.

It CAN be connected to the TV, but then you're playing solo from the handheld wired. Even ignoring the dual cartridge ports (which are of dubious value other than unlocking games), the VS is designed for easy multiplayer gaming on a TV. My point was not that, however, it was more the idea that providing additional controllers only benefits VS owners, which is likely the smallest percentage of owners between the three systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It CAN be connected to the TV, but then you're playing solo from the handheld wired. Even ignoring the dual cartridge ports (which are of dubious value other than unlocking games), the VS is designed for easy multiplayer gaming on a TV. My point was not that, however, it was more the idea that providing additional controllers only benefits VS owners, which is likely the smallest percentage of owners between the three systems.

Yeah I got your point. It's indeed hard to know if the VS sold very well or not. On one hand, it was released after the original model, so most of the audience was maybe already equipped and didn't want to buy another system (and also, most video games nerds have no friends, it's common knowledge 😉), but on the other hand, I feel like a lot of retrogamers prefer consoles to handhelds, at least here on AA.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Yeah I got your point. It's indeed hard to know if the VS sold very well or not. On one hand, it was released after the original model, so most of the audience was maybe already equipped and didn't want to buy another system (and also, most video games nerds have no friends, it's common knowledge 😉), but on the other hand, I feel like a lot of retrogamers prefer consoles to handhelds, at least here on AA.

I know they can never give figures, but I'd be happy with percentages. With that said, if they gave percentages and it was unfavorable, then that too would not be a good business look for various reasons, particularly if the VS is say at 5% of the user base (not that I think it would be).

My bad guesstimate is 60% original handheld, 20% VS, and 30% EXP, give or take 5% here or there and accounting for some overlap of multiple system owners (for instance, I have the original handheld, the EXP, the VS, and the Duke Nukem console).

I tend to use the EXP more than the VS for convenience, but I do like to use an arcade stick on occasion on the VS, which does have that advantage. That advantage could of course grow if they ever do release other controllers or can somehow be made compatible with non-digital controllers. 

I suppose they could solve all of their "problems" by making the next version of the handheld not only have Bluetooth (should have already had it), among other needed upgrades, but also have an Analogue-like dock with four controller ports and maybe a second cartridge slot (assuming they don't just put it onboard the handheld). This way they could phase out all previous systems and standardize on the one. For those who want a console-like experience, they just get the dock add-on.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 3

On 6/9/2023 at 4:43 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

I suppose they could solve all of their "problems" by making the next version of the handheld not only have Bluetooth (should have already had it), among other needed upgrades, but also have an Analogue-like dock with four controller ports and maybe a second cartridge slot (assuming they don't just put it onboard the handheld). This way they could phase out all previous systems and standardize on the one. For those who want a console-like experience, they just get the dock add-on.

In this case, there is still one problem that should not be underestimated, the battery is not replaceable. Also, the battery can die even if it is left completely discharged for a period of time.

• Like 1

My EXP wouldn't read my Team 17 cart at first. The cart comes with a little piece of paper that tells you to update the firmware, so I tried that. The firmware download kept stopping about 2/3 of the way through and rebooting the system. Tried it 4 or 5 times. So then I did a factory reset, then the update downloaded and installed properly, and then it read the cart. No issues I can see now.

So yeah, if anybody else runs into that issue, a factory reset followed by an update fixed it for me. My VS and my original Evercade both read the cart out of the box without an issue, so I knew the cart was okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 4:28 PM, jgkspsx said:

EDIT: aaaaand gone, in 22 hours. Wow.

This is very good news, even if frustrating for the individual collector who doesn’t get hold of one.

When things are ripped from the shelves, it has a market, if it has a market it has a future.

I’m wondering how long it will take other companies to get on board.

(I was crazy enough to try to write to Taito… gutfeeling it never made it high up in The System - particularily since I wrote in my often rushed norwenglish, google-translated to japanese, did not translate their page before posting, and probably ended up posting it to their mailbox of the physical Taito-gamepark in Japan.😂🤪. However, I hope Taito and other of these major classic-companies will find their way to this market… even without my personal expertise and advice 😁).

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, famicommander said:

My EXP wouldn't read my Team 17 cart at first.

My EXP died from battery-heat-failure.

I even tried cryogenic revival in the fridge.

Nothing.

Dead.

Sure there were premonitions: the Battery would never be full, only 3/4 green squares.

The preinstalled games with horizontal playfield showed up fully TATE’ed… it was tough to watch… I mean what these software’s must have been through… what it must have been like for the Forgotten Worlds ROM - not only to be forgotten - but also to be forced to wear the wrong mode in front of staring gamer… and then ROMs hardware … all to die slowly in there from slow overheating…

Man… guess I should have known that ‘Blaze’ wasn’t a randomly picked name.

Perhaps Evercade FRY shouid to be the name for their next handheld?

Not sure the Nuke-symbols on the limited-run thing really makes me all comfy after what my poor EXP went through…

Like you insert the cable and … like booom - the entire Evercade Collection up in living-room nuclear explosion…??!!?

Anyway… they tried… to get games out there… 

… good games…

… nice games…

… most of them innocent…

… and they toasted them … and  200+ of my $s… too!! (Hrrrmfff!!)

Hope their next EXP runs will be a bit less of game-killing device than the one I got.

Its like Evercade EXP-erience, not Evercade EXP-losion.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Did you contact them? They’re pretty good about support.

That’s good. (On a serious note).

I bought it on eBay from one who’d obtained it early, sold ‘like new’.

It was sealed and all when I unpacked it, but difficult to see how Blaze could fix this individual problem as such.

When I say bought it on eBay, I mean (also) - imported it from France to my country, taxes and all.

On a serious note, ensuring production-quality over time is important in a world of competition.

Hope they’ve weeded out the worst problems.

Typing in questions about Evercade EXP problems on Google, gave results including people who claimed it was well-known the first batches of EXPs had hardware-shortcomings.

As I hope the Evercade will stay and grow, they need to provide something that makes companies like Konami, Taito, Bandai-Namco, perhaps Sega etc, wish to publish and stay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Giles N said:

It was sealed and all when I unpacked it, but difficult to see how Blaze could fix this individual problem as such.

I would email them at support@evercade.co.uk and see if they can do anything. If it was sealed they will probably make it right somehow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

What do you mean by haunted?

It will be at 100% for two hours and then go to one bar and stay there for two more hours. The game time tracker is also haunted… mostly it’s accurate, but sometimes I lose playtime even when I quit properly, and sometimes I get an extra twenty hours or so of playtime 😅

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

It will be at 100% for two hours and then go to one bar and stay there for two more hours. The game time tracker is also haunted… mostly it’s accurate, but sometimes I lose playtime even when I quit properly, and sometimes I get an extra twenty hours or so of playtime 😅

Sounds like your handheld is possessed.  It has a ghost in the machine.  Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, roots.genoa said:

Uh, I have the same problem with mine, so now I'm worried. 😰

Just keep cool… don’t panic!

Keep cool… and also your Evercade; keep it cool… very cool, - mostly play in the fridge…

… when the special units from Blaze come to you… you should let the device be removed out of your hands by them… don’t try to give it to them, don’t play hero here… let them handle the physical transference… until Blaze Fire Team Elite is there… all you need to do is … don’t move. 
If you’re just absolutely still, it won’t go into chain-reaction FATE-mode… 

…keep cool, no worries 👍🏻

IMG_6336.jpeg

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 1

Wow, I had to go look that up.

I'm potentially down for both. Kind of puts me over the edge for more of the evercade carts I was on the fence about too. Nice little ecosystem. I already bought another OG evercade for the car, but if I didn't have that I'd totally keep one there.

Best buy's the only US retailer though? No songbird(?). Amazon only for UK(?)--though I do mention US amazon has been getting flaky with evercade preorders.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Videogamesplus.ca has them listed for pre-orders that commence on Friday.  :)  I know I will pick up the Taito one... Capcom I already have those games on my Switch.

But that Taito one... I'm excited for it.  Plus, I'll have a perfect dust cover for my OG and or EXP!

These units are shown as #1 and #2 on the side of the boxes... wonder what #3 and #4 will be in the new year?

• Like 2