IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

All five Atari cartridges have gone legacy as of the end of the year. That fuckin’ sucks.

https://evercade.co.uk/cartridge-news-atari-carts-to-enter-legacy-status-at-end-of-2023/

@Songbird / @Fadest, will you still be able to release Lynx games as Indie Heroes or are they losing the rights to the Lynx BIOS as well?

I don't know, I have no contact with Blaze/Evercade since the inclusion of Raid on Tricity as hidden game.

But I guess there is nothing that prevent them to license other games running on Atari systems, like they are doing with Nintendo and Sega games for homebrew of IP owned by Piko for example.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I imagine it's just a simple matter of the license expiring and Atari wanting to continue to go in a different direction. I'm pretty sure that's why the other cartridges went legacy as well. There are probably not enough sales left to justify a license renewal, plus I imagine the Atari ones are on the higher side in comparison to some of the others.

The announcement states exactly that, the Blaze contract ends at the end of the year. Does that mean they can do another run big enough to have stock for a year or two? Who knows. I can't say I'm surprised by this though. Lynx I is one of the top Evercade carts in my opinion and it's not a system a lot gamers are familiar with. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, madman said:

The announcement states exactly that, the Blaze contract ends at the end of the year. Does that mean they can do another run big enough to have stock for a year or two? Who knows. I can't say I'm surprised by this though. Lynx I is one of the top Evercade carts in my opinion and it's not a system a lot gamers are familiar with. 

Yes, it can mean exactly that. Whether they'll bother or not or have enough existing stock that they think will meet the remaining demand is probably the deciding factor in them producing more before the deadline (assuming there's not some weird production limitation or threshold in the contract). I suspect at this point they know pretty well what's going to sell in what amount.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time Extension's review is also positive. It only criticizes the control layouts of some games (which are indeed often weird for arcade games on Evercade), and the fact controls can't be remapped, but that's not possible either on EXP (at least yet). Actually, except for the TATE mode, the EXP doesn't offer much more considering its price, so once again I'm wondering if I won't end up playing this more than my EXP.

Edit: The EXP can also be connected to a TV, which I always forget because I don't care about that. I bought a dock for my Analogue Pocket and used it ONCE, briefly.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2

Well the convenience of handheld IS that its a handheld. I've got the vs to play on tv, but do have a micro HDMI so I can play evercade on tv, but as of yet haven't tried.

On control what drives me nuts, besides the weird control, is the control changes depending on the game AND which version of evercade you play on. The vs switches control compared to the original model.

I've got an analog pocket too, with the dock. Love the handheld and encourage anybody to get it, if the steep price tag and up to a year waiting doesn't stop them. I've never used the dock though, what controller did you use, I hear compatibility (or maybe cooperation) was pretty hit and miss, and little controller recommendations exist in the analog pocket thread in classic games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

the fact controls can't be remapped, but that's not possible either on EXP (at least yet).

The VS and EXP have supported control remapping since May or so. It’s in the […] menu for each game.

The MadLittlePixel video seemed to show a mini HDMI out for the Super Pocket.

13 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

The VS and EXP have supported control remapping since May or so. It’s in the […] menu for each game.

The MadLittlePixel video seemed to show a mini HDMI out for the Super Pocket.

Which do you think is the mini HDMI out? The USB-C port, the power switch or the headphone jack?

Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 11.05.23 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I checked yesterday and couldn't find it. It's clearly not very intuitive if it's not in the Controls menu.

2 hours ago, madman said:

Which do you think is the mini HDMI out? The USB-C port, the power switch or the headphone jack?

The headphone jack is obviously on the left and the USB-C on the right, but the middle port doesn't look like HDMI out, at least not at all like EXP's one. Could that be a simple hole for a lanyard?

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I checked yesterday and couldn't find it. It's clearly not very intuitive if it's not in the Controls menu.

The headphone jack is obviously on the left and the USB-C on the right, but the middle port doesn't look like HDMI out, at least not at all like EXP's one. Could that be a simple hole for a lanyard?

Read my post again to learn what the thing in the middle is. 

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

NEW FEATURE
Per Game Button Mapping (BETA)
- Users can now remap the buttons on their games on a per game basis.
- This function is still in beta as more feedback and case scenarios are discovered
- To remap buttons, enter the ellipsis [...] menu on the right-hand side of the game selection screen, and select "Edit Controls (BETA)"

- Follow the onscreen instructions to remap your controls.
- If you need to reset your mapping to your game, you can also find this in the ellipsis menu under "Reset controls to default layout"
- You will not be able to remap the Directional controls, nor the Evercade Menu button as these are essential for in-game menu navigation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, madman said:

NEW FEATURE
Per Game Button Mapping (BETA)
- Users can now remap the buttons on their games on a per game basis.
- This function is still in beta as more feedback and case scenarios are discovered
- To remap buttons, enter the ellipsis [...] menu on the right-hand side of the game selection screen, and select "Edit Controls (BETA)"

- Follow the onscreen instructions to remap your controls.
- If you need to reset your mapping to your game, you can also find this in the ellipsis menu under "Reset controls to default layout"
- You will not be able to remap the Directional controls, nor the Evercade Menu button as these are essential for in-game menu navigation.

Yeah, I found it after jgkspsx (I really hope he will find a normal username some day 😔) reminded me of the "..." menu. And actually, it now rings a bell but I must have forgotten about it tbh. I assume it will be moved to the in-game menu when it will leave beta.

26 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I really hope he will find a normal username some day 😔

It’s like prescription medication names or the weird brands of resellers on Amazon. It’s very unique 😜 

Besides, my first mention on here is from 2005. Who would know if I used a different name??

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on getting the Taito edition Super Pocket w/ Atari Lynx collection #1. Any other suggestions or recommendations cartwise? Not planning on a big collection, just wanted a usable handheld with a few carts. I have been in the market for a handheld for a while, I love my Switch but want something actually pocketable, so I went with this over Analogue pocket and Retroid for cost and simplicity.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

I'm planning on getting the Taito edition Super Pocket w/ Atari Lynx collection #1. Any other suggestions or recommendations cartwise? Not planning on a big collection, just wanted a usable handheld with a few carts. I have been in the market for a handheld for a while, I love my Switch but want something actually pocketable, so I went with this over Analogue pocket and Retroid for cost and simplicity.

It really depends on what you want. If you want a bunch of 8 and 16 bit games you can get everywhere else, they've got that covered. If you like old school computer games, they have carts for that. If you don't already own Xeno Crisis, that's a great cart for the price. If you haven't experienced the Intellivision, I'd recommend those carts. If you want obscure arcade games, they've got you covered there as well. Modern homebrew on retro consoles? There are carts for that too.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GraffitiTavern said:

I recommend the carts that are full of indie/homebrew games

Indie Heroes Collection 1 and 2

Mega Cat Studios Collection 1 and 2

Morphcat Games Collection 1

Alwa's Awakening and Cathedral

Xeno Crisis and Tanglewood

Sydney Hunter Collection

Upcoming:

Full Void

Indie Heroes Collection 3

Goodboy Galaxy and Witch 'N' Wiz

Demons of Asteborg and Astebros

Home Computer Heroes Collection 1

And there are a few individual homebrews, previously unreleased protos, or previously untranslated games sprinkled into some other carts like the Piko or Atari Collections.

Most of the other carts are mostly full of games I played ages ago on other platforms, many of which I still own.

37 minutes ago, madman said:

It really depends on what you want. If you want a bunch of 8 and 16 bit games you can get everywhere else, they've got that covered. If you like old school computer games, they have carts for that. If you don't already own Xeno Crisis, that's a great cart for the price. If you haven't experienced the Intellivision, I'd recommend those carts. If you want obscure arcade games, they've got you covered there as well. Modern homebrew on retro consoles? There are carts for that too.

Specifically I just want stuff that works well on a handheld, that's about it. I am boycotting Piko but idk if they have many handheld games anyway. I just need a simple handheld for situations where I want to game but won't have a backpack for my Switch. I am also planning on getting Goodboy Galaxy, which is a GBA homebrew. Honestly if there was a modern system with buttons, cartridges, and was pocketable I'd get that in a heartbeat. This is just the closest we have rn.

2 hours ago, GraffitiTavern said:

Specifically I just want stuff that works well on a handheld, that's about it. I am boycotting Piko but idk if they have many handheld games anyway. I just need a simple handheld for situations where I want to game but won't have a backpack for my Switch. I am also planning on getting Goodboy Galaxy, which is a GBA homebrew. Honestly if there was a modern system with buttons, cartridges, and was pocketable I'd get that in a heartbeat. This is just the closest we have rn.

This may be helpful for you, a pretty good list of the games and sometimes systems for which they're designed: https://www.timeextension.com/guides/evercade-games-all-evercade-cartridges-released-so-far

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

There's new update that adds TATE to the VS, and "Fairy Fire" to the EXP (whatever that is).

• On the main screen: Press the menu button 10 times = Fairy Fire – Defender of the Fairies [Thanks to Paige_zip, JT and MichaelF]
  • Like 1