IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Yeah, but when EA wants to buy them for "racing games," they're really buying them for the F1 license--full stop. If we're super-lucky they'll keep the 'race driver' (aka 'grid' these days) and CMR/dirt series' alive for just long enough to release whatever game(s) are currently in development, and that's all we'll ever hear from codemasters again.

...until 15 years from now when they re-launch 'Colin McRae' as a near-future FPS, make 'grid autosport' a mobile clicker game, and reuse the 'Codemasters' name as the next sacrificial shell company behind their lootbox store for a year until the EU can file the proper paperwork to take them down.  Only half joking. If only EA was still half the company that they were when Bill Budge's Pinball Construction Set came out. We'll never get anything 'micro machines' out of them again, I'd wager.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

Does anyone know when the Indie Heroes Collection 1 will be coming out?  I looked on the Evercade website and found no release date.

I think nobody outside of Blaze Entertainment knows at this time when the collections comes out. I checked out their tweet page and nothing there either for a release date. 

I'm guessing they are waiting till Indie Heroes Collection 1 gets a pre-order announcement.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Does anyone know when the Indie Heroes Collection 1 will be coming out?  I looked on the Evercade website and found no release date.

I read an update today on this on the Evercade Twitter account. There is a time frame for the collection now. The Twitter account posted the Indie Heroes Collection 1 game Anguna and mentioned the game will be released in May 2021. 

It is not for pre-order yet. Indie Heroes Collection 1 now will be released in the same month as Worms Collection 1.

• Like 1

Cool. I'll have to see about picking those up now, when pre-order becomes available.

yeah I know you can switch weapons on cybervirus, it's just a few times I've destroyed a tower instantly with a grenade, while most times I can't destroy even one using everything I've got. Didn't know about missiles, other than I started with none, I'll see if I can find them. The radar (or map?) Only shows objectives and enemies though, so that's little help, especially when all the mobile enemies are gone. Maybe I have to hit the tower precise, or not hit it, but I couldn't figure out the secret since success happened so seldom I couldn't tell you what, if anything, I did different.

In CyberVirus, I believe all the blue cone buildings take the same number of hits. A grenade is equivalent to x6 bullets, and I think missiles are equivalent to x15 bullets. It takes about 40 damage to destroy a building. If some buildings blew up more quickly, it's possible the robots shot at those objects while trying to reach you.

Grenades do have a limited range before they explode, so it's possible to throw grenades in front of a building and not actually damage it if you're too far away. I just replayed the first mission, and you could have as much as 75 bullets left after taking out all enemies and buildings.

Some missions do include extra ammo on the map. Since the ammo does not appear on the radar, it's generally placed near other larger objects -- trees, car wrecks, or buildings.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

I read an update today on this on the Evercade Twitter account. There is a time frame for the collection now. The Twitter account posted the Indie Heroes Collection 1 game Anguna and mentioned the game will be released in May 2021. 

It is not for pre-order yet. Indie Heroes Collection 1 now will be released in the same month as Worms Collection 1.

Very cool.  Definitely the Evercade is getting a lot of great carts and really is making this a great little handheld to play on and collect for with these great collections.  Looking forward to seeing what else the future has in store for this handheld.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's a nice set of new choices, good to see more future support on the thing.  I have to admit, I still just can't pull the trigger on one, and really I think the issue now isn't the fact there's a lack of support, as more keeps coming, nor is the price of any of it offensive either.  I just fear I'd use it a couple times and stop because I just have enough other unfinished business already and these multicarts would compound it.

I think they've really designed a solidly made product after that firmware fix I recall it kind of needed, not heard anyone really hate on the form factor, handling of the controls + buttons, screen or audio, really much of anything.  It's like that one case where someones flapping mouths on what they're bringing out was not only honest, but followed up keeping honest after the fact too.

20 hours ago, Songbird said:

FYI Songbird will be carrying all the new Evercade carts, however I'll be opening my pre-orders a bit closer to the release date.

Thank you for letting me know this,I am going to hold out on all future carts(I know there are 4 coming this spring/summer) until you have them for preorder or sale.

Much appreciated! ??

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, Tanooki said:

That's a nice set of new choices, good to see more future support on the thing.  I have to admit, I still just can't pull the trigger on one, and really I think the issue now isn't the fact there's a lack of support, as more keeps coming, nor is the price of any of it offensive either.  I just fear I'd use it a couple times and stop because I just have enough other unfinished business already and these multicarts would compound it.

I think they've really designed a solidly made product after that firmware fix I recall it kind of needed, not heard anyone really hate on the form factor, handling of the controls + buttons, screen or audio, really much of anything.  It's like that one case where someones flapping mouths on what they're bringing out was not only honest, but followed up keeping honest after the fact too.

I am in the same boat to a degree.  While I do like the product and the price really is pretty reasonable (especially with Best Buy having the Premium on sale for $70), I just don't have a big reason to pick one up at this point.  However, if they can get more homebrew compiliations and/or include less readily available systems (like the Epoch Super Cassette Vision for instance), then this will still be a bit of pass for me.  Still, I like the product and what they are trying to do is really good, and I definitely wish them luck going forward as I think the Evercade has some really great potential.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, Hwlngmad said:

I am in the same boat to a degree.  While I do like the product and the price really is pretty reasonable (especially with Best Buy having the Premium on sale for $70), I just don't have a big reason to pick one up at this point.  However, if they can get more homebrew compiliations and/or include less readily available systems (like the Epoch Super Cassette Vision for instance), then this will still be a bit of pass for me.  Still, I like the product and what they are trying to do is really good, and I definitely wish them luck going forward as I think the Evercade has some really great potential.

I agree with that.  Right now the most attractive to me are the pair of Lynx carts because the system kind of sucks for condition and screen too given the age as they don't hold up well.  But then again the Lynx games given have some obvious holes over licensing I'm sure that really really sucks so that was a little discouraging.  Other than that I could see getting some use from the Technos kunio package, but the rest is so largely a re-run I have no motivation.  If they like you said, added more strange good stuff you can't get easily elsewhere, then I'd be on board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If they like you said, added more strange good stuff you can't get easily elsewhere, then I'd be on board.

I think the Evercade’s specialty is strange good stuff you can’t get easily elsewhere:

- Rad Gravity

- Nightshade

- Joe & Mac 2

- Prehistorik Man

- Switchblade

- The Brainies

- The Humans

- Dorke & Ymp

- Radical Rex

- Claymates

- Boogerman

- Ninja Golf

- Planet Smashers

- Burning Force

- Phelios

- Splatterhouse 2 & 3

- WeaponLord

- Libble Rabble

- Mappy Kids

- Metal Marines

- Dig Dug 2

- Warpman

- Star Luster

- Dragon Spirit

- the entire Oliver Twins collection

- the entire Mega Cat collection

and I know I left plenty out. I think Nightshade just came out on the Nintendo Switch NES subscription thing, but most of these have never been widely available. Some of these games are just flat out not available elsewhere, and some of these games are only available as expensive cartridges for original systems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I think the Evercade’s specialty is strange good stuff you can’t get easily elsewhere:

- Rad Gravity

- Nightshade

- Joe & Mac 2

- Prehistorik Man

- Switchblade

- The Brainies

- The Humans

- Dorke & Ymp

- Radical Rex

- Claymates

- Boogerman

- Ninja Golf

- Planet Smashers

- Burning Force

- Phelios

- Splatterhouse 2 & 3

- WeaponLord

- Libble Rabble

- Mappy Kids

- Metal Marines

- Dig Dug 2

- Warpman

- Star Luster

- Dragon Spirit

- the entire Oliver Twins collection

- the entire Mega Cat collection

and I know I left plenty out. I think Nightshade just came out on the Nintendo Switch NES subscription thing, but most of these have never been widely available. Some of these games are just flat out not available elsewhere, and some of these games are only available as expensive cartridges for original systems.

Oh, I do think the Evercade does have a good variety.  However, the variety it has is not enough for me to pull the trigger on it as I have ways to play the vast majority of the games in its library.  However, get more homebrew studios on board like Mega Cat Studios and collections for systems like the Super Cassette Vision and I would probably dive into the pool.

• Like 1

Fair enough. It does have a lot of exclusive content, though. The Oliver Twins collection is half new games, the Lynx 1 pack has a number of @Songbird games, a number of the Piko games (Switchblade, Brave Battle Saga, Water Margin, Dorke & Ymp, Switchblade, Way of the Exploding Fist, Iron Commando, Canon) are newly ported/completed/translated games, the Namco collection has an exclusive translated game (Mappy Kids), and of course there's Mega Cat and the Indie Heroes cart coming soon.

The rest of it you can get cartridges for, but I'm just excited to be able to play the rest of these legitimately and help the companies like the Oliver Twins, Piko, or Namco who are saving games from the dumpster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Fair enough. It does have a lot of exclusive content, though. The Oliver Twins collection is half new games, the Lynx 1 pack has a number of @Songbird games, a number of the Piko games (Switchblade, Brave Battle Saga, Water Margin, Dorke & Ymp, Switchblade, Way of the Exploding Fist, Iron Commando, Canon) are newly ported/completed/translated games, the Namco collection has an exclusive translated game (Mappy Kids), and of course there's Mega Cat and the Indie Heroes cart coming soon.

The rest of it you can get cartridges for, but I'm just excited to be able to play the rest of these legitimately and help the companies like the Oliver Twins, Piko, or Namco who are saving games from the dumpster.

Definitely the Evercade is a good platform to get into for those wanting a curated collection of games than just a mass amount like you find in loaded up Raspberry Pis, modded Xboxes, various 'Chinese' handhelds, etc.  Also, considering that they are numbering the carts, there is something there for collectors too.  So, they do have a good thing going and I look forward to seeing what all they do further along this year and beyond as there is a lot of potential there, that's for sure.

• Like 2

I'm not looking for an argument, hell we agree as far as the Lynx goes.  I do love old Namco arcade, but aside from Mappy Kids, that's not quite motivating enough to dive into that cart short of a pack-in.  I know my limit.

Right now, and I've been pretty consistent with this well into and through last year, I'm downsizing as I have been for a decade at a ebay free posting trickle, but one thing I'm slow growing or in moderate spurts, Gameboy stuff.  That's where my coin is going, so many fun, fresh things I never had a hand on, and well other lost memories too.  Today alone I had 3 import games pop in from the old GB/SGB era and they're utter fun.  With that, and my Switch backlog of a half dozen titles and all but one or two anything but short, I'm set so there's a real barrier to evercade.

Now if someone were to flash some screwball flash sale where the thing was like $50 vs $100 I'd let my common sense go to the side over a stellar deal and grab it, but unless that happens it's going to wait for a ($)100 good reasons to pony up for that if it has a hard good chance of just sitting on a shelf.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm by no means saying that everyone should get one. Although, credit where it is due, the Evercade is what got me back into classic gaming last year after many years of just playing stuff available on Virtual Console etc.

But it didn't seem fair to say that it needed more good exclusive obscurities, since that is currently the major value proposition for me.

(I think Best Buy briefly had the 3 games + console bundle for $70! Not anymore, sadly.)

That's fair.  I slacked a lot on the old stuff, the whole market for years as disgusted me, 2020 magnified it.  It's why I decided to just say screw it and start dumping stuff in larger amounts when ebay upped their 50 to 200 a month.  Though I didn't quit, just decided to focus on one thing that really more or less isn't being exploited much (though in the last couple months aggravatingly has been through peoples attempts if you watch ebay failed sales vs paid out) and that's Gameboy (Color and Advanced.)  I find just focusing on one thing and enjoying it works better, as to any of the rest they're more or less mothballed or really randomly used/bought when a steal is found.  Just not worth the headache or waste of limited time anymore.  When the bubble within the larger bubble blows, maybe then, as this current garbage can't sustain.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 5:35 PM, Tanooki said:

I'm not looking for an argument, hell we agree as far as the Lynx goes.  I do love old Namco arcade, but aside from Mappy Kids, that's not quite motivating enough to dive into that cart short of a pack-in.  I know my limit.

Right now, and I've been pretty consistent with this well into and through last year, I'm downsizing as I have been for a decade at a ebay free posting trickle, but one thing I'm slow growing or in moderate spurts, Gameboy stuff.  That's where my coin is going, so many fun, fresh things I never had a hand on, and well other lost memories too.  Today alone I had 3 import games pop in from the old GB/SGB era and they're utter fun.  With that, and my Switch backlog of a half dozen titles and all but one or two anything but short, I'm set so there's a real barrier to evercade.

Now if someone were to flash some screwball flash sale where the thing was like $50 vs $100 I'd let my common sense go to the side over a stellar deal and grab it, but unless that happens it's going to wait for a ($)100 good reasons to pony up for that if it has a hard good chance of just sitting on a shelf.

I, too, just don't need a lot of stuff sitting around collecting dust.  I have really tried to just keep my gaming setup as lean (and mean) as possible, hence just having two handhelds (a modded 3DS and a RG351) along with my modded and loaded up Nvidia Shield TV.  I have plenty to play whenever I want.  However, should the Evercade get more and more homebrew compilations and/or collections from consoles that really aren't mainstream, I might take the plunge then.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

I, too, just don't need a lot of stuff sitting around collecting dust.  I have really tried to just keep my gaming setup as lean (and mean) as possible, hence just having two handhelds (a modded 3DS and a RG351) along with my modded and loaded up Nvidia Shield TV.  I have plenty to play whenever I want.  However, should the Evercade get more and more homebrew compilations and/or collections from consoles that really aren't mainstream, I might take the plunge then.

I can respect that.

I've got mine divided mostly into an original owner/nostalgia pile, and then active.

The past would be the NES, SNES, N64, PCE, Virtual Boy (done anyway), GB and GBC the 20th century stuff.  If I ever do buy for it, you could count it in a year on a hand rare if that, and it's for keeps not a question, outside of something I totally intend to roll over to save up for something else.

Then there's the 21st century stuff, prices just suck on that stuff console wise too or I just keep it for a few things.  That's your GBA(I mostly group that into GB/C though, prices are lean, easy to store), DS/3DS, GC, Wii, and that's it.  I got rid of everything else and just have a Switch and this computer, and Switch is about all I buy for anymore new, a few PC games but spread out.  My one retro vice, Gameboy family.  I actively grab those, that's it.

I personally can't swallow having one of those RG devices you have, totally see the use, but I know myself and I'd never enjoy it.  It would be one fling after another, having never suck a dime into a game on there I just warez'd, I'd never commit and it would gather dust.  I'm that way with flash kits, but I keep them around mostly to stop me from buying expensive games, they're a deterrent more than entertainment device, and that works.

Evercade would be this weird outlier, probably despite buying games on it, would end up like the RG device, play here and there, get dusty sadly.  Like you I have a Nvidia device, the tablet that turned into the Switch, so rarely touched outside of vacations it's usually discharged and needs to be plugged in to bring it back to life.  I have to admit you got a point, if more unique solid content like that arrived I'd be a bit more tempted.

• Like 2

I am watching YouTube reviews on the Evercade right now.  

It does have my interest as the price seems good and unlike a lot of the mass produced Chinese retro handhelds flooding the market, the fact that it uses cartridges is a plus.

I want some feedback here; is it worth getting an Evercade?

• Like 1