IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Feels weird whenever I'm reminded the Evercade was made by Blaze. Until recently, I only knew of them for this awful MP3 player for Dreamcast. I think I got it for $1, it was dirt cheap when Gamestop was dumping their DC stock.

If it worked correctly it would've been cool (for the time) and helped conserve CD-Rs I would've used up burning audio CDs... Problem is half the time you'd swap in a disc to and play a song, and it would just crash. So then you swap back in the MP3 player disc, reboot the console, wait, swap in a CD-R, etc. It was tedious and the success rate was too low to be worth it.

It's almost as shocking as when I learned Mad Catz started making Street Fighter-branded sticks that DIDN'T suck! 

image.thumb.png.40385db5b3e9e6c2d8688114d1cbfc62.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oddly enough the current Blaze just bought the name and licensing agreements from the old Blaze. It maybe seems to have been a way to get the Atari license at a discount, though that is purely conjecture on my part. It was odd that they branded themselves with a company with such a checkered history.

• Like 2

Blaze has announced that they have sold 1 million Evercade cartridges since launch and Tomb Raider is the fastest selling cartridge so far:

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/05/blaze-confirms-one-million-evercade-cartridge-milestone-ex-eidos-boss-joins-as-chairman

That's roughly ~17,500 on average across 57 carts. You'd expect pack-ins, Tomb Raider, and Duke to be higher and some of the more obscure stuff to be significantly lower, but there you have it.

We now have two datapoints to make an educated guess at the overall number of Evercade devices sold. 1 million carts out there, and I think there are about 30,000 "special edition" consoles out there total (I added up the actual total once, could look up the post, too lazy but it's in that neighborhood). Obviously some people bought multiple consoles and we don't know the exact attach rate of software to hardware.

I'm going to say that the attach rate is relatively high on these with the numbered carts and the collector appeal baked into the concept. I'm going to guess there are anywhere between 150K and 250K total Evercades across all models out there.

• Like 2

Alpha is revealed:

IMG_1007.thumb.jpeg.f01584ddaa9f441e5cfc427a915c7f7f.jpeg

£199.99/$229.99/€229.99

IMG_1008.thumb.jpeg.220b380f06e7929f5ca2db0dbc00403e.jpeg

8" IPS screen

"Competition grade" controls

Two cart ports

Two editions

Supports up to two players (boo)

IMG_1005.thumb.png.5c9ecb70cb12b11a5d5da3f017d22fa5.png

Mega Man Edition:

- Mega Man: The Power Battle

- Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters

- Carrier Airwing

- Strider

- Final Fight

- Knights of the Round

IMG_1006.thumb.png.fb24960dab6ced359354ce94061b2501.png

Street Fighter Edition:

- Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

- Super Street Fighter II Turbo

- Street Fighter Alpha

- Street Fighter Alpha 2

- Street Fighter Alpha 3

- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

• Like 3

Personal thoughts: that is a hefty price. If that means the controls are truly top grade, I might be in for the Mega Man one, even if I have zero interest in the Mega Man fighters.

Definitely the first Evercade hardware I will be waiting to hear reviews of before buying.

The game selection is interesting but way too stingy for the price. If these had the same set of 12 games each and different colorways it would be easier to justify.

I would have been a lot more interested in a Mega Man console anthology even if it would have been weird for the arcade form factor.

I think these will sell well, Capcom nuts are addicted.

• Like 1

Oh, there's a Deluxe bundle from Funstock only for £249.99/€289.99. It includes a special exclusive controller, a poster, swappable marquees, and most importantly Sanwa controls.

IMG_1009.thumb.gif.c623c0696794482820c20769d0c9f786.gif

I am kind of cheesed off that I have to choose between ordering from @Songbird and having good controls installed. They are user-replaceable, so at least there's that.

• Like 2

Exactly what I (and many others) thought, but I must say that, at that price point, I'm disappointed the screen doesn't rotate. I mean, I get that it has a bigger screen than the TAITO Egret II Mini, but that's also cheaper. I'm still getting one, although again, disappointed that it's not one SKU to start.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Oh, there's a Deluxe bundle from Funstock only for £249.99/€289.99. It includes a special exclusive controller, a poster, swappable marquees, and most importantly Sanwa controls.

I am kind of cheesed off that I have to choose between ordering from @Songbird and having good controls installed. They are user-replaceable, so at least there's that.

Two of my very least liked or enjoyable video game franchises of all time!

For someone who has been collecting virtually all of the mini arcades over the last 6 years(Tiny Arcade, Basic Fun,My Arcade and New Wave Toys),the choices are a disappointment for me.

Plus Evercade keeps releasing new hardware to play the same games on(the original,purple and black Evercade handheld,the original,Duke Nukem and collectors VS and all the recent EXP stuff...too much to remember, I bet I forgot some), to play all the same exact games.

I purchased these 3 units just to be a My Arcade completionist( I know,there mini machines are pretty low quality) and I wish they were different game choices when they were released. 

This is only a happy day for Street Fighter and Megaman fanatics.

20240530_093716.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, famicommander said:

No vert mode on the monitor = hard pass. I don't see what's better about this than just plugging an arcade stick into a VS.

I agree 100% on the lack of monitor rotation, but I do see this as a relatively compact and somewhat reasonably priced single-player bartop option for those who want such a thing, so I can see the value in that, as well as it having its own dedicated display. Eight inches is probably a good compromise between a big screen TV and the handhelds. I do wish they got just a tiny bit more ambitious with what it can do. On the plus side, it should be quite the step up from the usual Arcade1Up-style tabletops, especially if you get the one with the Sanwa controls. I do shudder at what the shipping and handling here will be for the US from Funstock on the Deluxe unit.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Too niche for me; already have a VS and Taito pocket. I can play the Capcom titles on my TV via Capcom Stadium on my PS5, so there’s not anything here other than a piece of kit that I don’t really have room to display and doesn’t add anything I don’t already have.

Sure it’ll be a fun gift for some folk and might get them more cart sales from people who wouldn’t necessarily care about the VS or EXP/Pocket.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I agree 100% on the lack of monitor rotation, but I do see this as a relatively compact and somewhat reasonably priced single-player bartop option for those who want such a thing, so I can see the value in that, as well as it having its own dedicated display. Eight inches is probably a good compromise between a big screen TV and the handhelds. I do wish they got just a tiny bit more ambitious with what it can do. On the plus side, it should be quite the step up from the usual Arcade1Up-style tabletops, especially if you get the one with the Sanwa controls. I do shudder at what the shipping and handling here will be for the US from Funstock on the Deluxe unit.

According to the Funstock e-mail, the Deluxe will be shipping from the US for US and Canadian orders, so shipping should be relatively reasonable.  

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Too niche for me; already have a VS and Taito pocket. I can play the Capcom titles on my TV via Capcom Stadium on my PS5, so there’s not anything here other than a piece of kit that I don’t really have room to display and doesn’t add anything I don’t already have.

Sure it’ll be a fun gift for some folk and might get them more cart sales from people who wouldn’t necessarily care about the VS or EXP/Pocket.

As was discussed previously, I think this was their only logical option for the foreseeable future to introduce another collectible/semi-collectible form factor. They have all of their respective bases covered now and will probably be able to focus on cartridges and controllers, as well as special editions of the four hardware form factors, for up to, or around, the next two years or so. After that, I suspect they'll have to introduce next-generation hardware that's backwards compatible, but offers new features like analog, keyboard support, more controller types including light guns, etc., and leaves the previous generation behind (meaning current owners will have to "settle" for probably 600+ games to play if they don't upgrade). 

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 2

Nice, I'd totally be for a mini arcade, love weird stuff like that.

On carts, how many people bought a system and one, or small handful of carts, instead of being a weirdo like me and buying at least one of everything? Actually with the pockets, they could now conceivably buy the system and no carts.

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

As was discussed previously, I think this was their only logical option for the foreseeable future to introduce another collectible/semi-collectible form factor. They have all of their respective bases covered now and will probably be able to focus on cartridges and controllers, as well as special editions of the four hardware form factors, for up to, or around, the next two years or so. After that, I suspect they'll have to introduce next-generation hardware that's backwards compatible, but offers new features like analog, keyboard support, more controller types including light guns, etc., and leaves the previous generation behind (meaning current owners will have to "settle" for probably 600+ games to play if they don't upgrade). 

Does it really make sense for Blaze to focus on controllers though? I would imagine most people that own an Evercade already have at least something like an 8bitdo controller. IMO Blaze getting into that market doesn't make sense, but yeah if they do a SF2 themed arcade stick, especially if it's "limited" to 5,000 units they'll sell out. Blaze has done a great job coming up with marketing to sell this stuff, just look at how many people in 2024 are impressed with "giga carts" that are nothing more than 1GB flash drives. Wow, 1GB in 2024, cutting edge!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

With the Eidos dude coming into the fold and the apparent big success of the Tomb Raider cart, seems likely we'll see a Tomb Raider Collection 2. 

Candidates:

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PS1)
Tomb Raider Chronicles (PS1)

Tomb Raider: Legend (GBA)

Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (GBA)

Tomb Raider (GBC)
Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (GBC)

After that the series jumps to platforms like PS2, DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, and 360 so those are all out of reach. 

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, famicommander said:

With the Eidos dude coming into the fold and the apparent big success of the Tomb Raider cart, seems likely we'll see a Tomb Raider Collection 2. 

Candidates:

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PS1)
Tomb Raider Chronicles (PS1)

Tomb Raider: Legend (GBA)

Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (GBA)

Tomb Raider (GBC)
Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (GBC)

After that the series jumps to platforms like PS2, DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, and 360 so those are all out of reach. 

I'd be more excited for this cart than the one we have, haha. In fact you can leave out the PS1 games and that's still true.

4 hours ago, madman said:

Does it really make sense for Blaze to focus on controllers though? I would imagine most people that own an Evercade already have at least something like an 8bitdo controller. IMO Blaze getting into that market doesn't make sense, but yeah if they do a SF2 themed arcade stick, especially if it's "limited" to 5,000 units they'll sell out. Blaze has done a great job coming up with marketing to sell this stuff, just look at how many people in 2024 are impressed with "giga carts" that are nothing more than 1GB flash drives. Wow, 1GB in 2024, cutting edge!

I don't know if it makes sense, but my point is they probably maxed out on the hardware for a few years. They need to keep some excitement going until the next gen of hardware, so my thought was more cartridges, obviously, and maybe themed controllers. There IS a demand for arcade controllers and wireless controllers, so they can pursue that from a first party standpoint. Obviously, you can use the 8bitDo stick and USB2 dongle (I use both), but I doubt most of their audience does that, or at least enough where it wouldn't make sense to have some first party options. Certainly having arcade controls on the counter top units proves they have some interest in that area. 

• Like 2

One thing I saw on a Reddit thread that I didn't pick up on in the listings is that apparently these counter cades will be able to play the Namco cartridges, which would be a big plus, although of course they're no longer actively available for those who didn't get them already. I guess, if true, it makes sense since these are technically portable (transportable) and don't have HDMI output, so it might fall under the original licensing agreement.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I am just really thrown by this.  Like, apart from a few collectors, this just can't be a winner, can it?

For comparison, the Arcade1up Countercades seemed far better (didn't they?).  The one I've got pictured below was $149.00.  Two player, Xmen vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes, Punisher, Marvel vs Capcom.  I just can't imagine even with the Deluxe Sanwa option that the Alpha would be any good to play on.  Blaze hasn't made many really stinky moves, but this is one of them, I think.  An expensive failure, hopefully they will learn and recover.  And sell me a Capcom Cart or three for my Vs. :)

Screenshot 2024-05-30 223941.jpg

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

I am just really thrown by this.  Like, apart from a few collectors, this just can't be a winner, can it?

For comparison, the Arcade1up Countercades seemed far better (didn't they?).  The one I've got pictured below was $149.00.  Two player, Xmen vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes, Punisher, Marvel vs Capcom.  I just can't imagine even with the Deluxe Sanwa option that the Alpha would be any good to play on.  Blaze hasn't made many really stinky moves, but this is one of them, I think.  An expensive failure, hopefully they will learn and recover.  And sell me a Capcom Cart or three for my Vs. :)

Screenshot 2024-05-30 223941.jpg

Arcade1Up quality is poor to mediocre and for not much less money you get likely a worse screen and often fewer than 6 games. It's not a high barrier to offer better quality, features, and expandability through cartridges for not that much more. Obviously, there are some things that I feel Blaze should have done differently with the Bar Top, but having a better offering than Arcade1Up is not a high hurdle. I'd say the pluses and negatives on the Blaze units, regular or Deluxe, outpace any of the same on the Arcade1Up stuff.

As for Capcom (and some others) on cartridges, it's just not going to happen, at least in the foreseeable future. There are certain agreements in place that prohibit that.

Edited by Bill Loguidice

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Arcade1Up quality is poor to mediocre and for not much less money you get likely a worse screen and often fewer than 6 games. It's not a high barrier to offer better quality, features, and expandability through cartridges for not that much more. Obviously, there are some things that I feel Blaze should have done differently with the Bar Top, but having a better offering than Arcade1Up is not a high hurdle. I'd say the pluses and negatives on the Blaze units, regular or Deluxe, outpace any of the same on the Arcade1Up stuff.

As for Capcom (and some others) on cartridges, it's just not going to happen, at least in the foreseeable future. There are certain agreements in place that prohibit that.

Mediocre is an adequate descriptor for A1up quality for the most part...but looking at the size of the Alphas, I just can't imagine how one would secure these little machines while executing a dragon punch or super move in SFA2, at all.  I have little issue with them on my Countercade due to the relative heft plus the two-player controls, keeps it down pretty good.  I guess I also just don't like the look of these either - the position of the joystick relative to the screen, the colors chosen (some original in their own way)... Clearly we will have to agree to disagree on this.  But I can't imagine the Alpha's screen is fun to look at, with how it's designed, or that I'd want to put any carts in that.  I'll stick with the Vs on a 42" thanks.  Not saying I don't get the collectability but... these are NOT New Wave Toys quality.  And again agree to disagree but I can't imagine the gaming experience (based on the games they're coming with) would outpace the A1up options.  They're badly, horrifically overpriced, too small, not attractive, and simply have very little desirability with all the other "small arcade" options out there.  I'd go A1up, MyArcade, New Wave, or any number of others over what these look like.  And this is coming from a HUGE Capcom fan.  It just looks...well, like crap to me.  $0.02 deposited, clink clink.

• Like 2

I have an Arcade1Up Galaga CounterCade and the screen is the same size as this but totally atrocious, in the same realm as MyArcade. These will use IPS screens.

MyArcade mini arcades are all hot garbage except for the SFII, Contra, and Space Invaders ones.

New Wave is fine but they're mostly not very practical to play, have zero heft, and certainly wouldn't be usable for these games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I have an Arcade1Up Galaga CounterCade and the screen is the same size as this but totally atrocious, in the same realm as MyArcade. These will use IPS screens.

MyArcade mini arcades are all hot garbage except for the SFII, Contra, and Space Invaders ones.

New Wave is fine but they're mostly not very practical to play, have zero heft, and certainly wouldn't be usable for these games.

I agree about the screen quality. I still have an Arcade1Up Ms. Pac-Man CounterCade, as well as NBA Jam, as well as the Pong tabletop. Arcade1Up does really bad with dust behind the screen (pristine in the box) and I find the controls subpar. I do like the NBA Jam better than the Pac-Man CounterCade and the Pong tabletop is OK, but again, I think it's a very low bar to beat these in quality. New Wave definitely sets the highest bar regardless of size, but obviously they're rather small in terms of playability. I don't expect anyone to hit New Wave quality at anywhere near a reasonable price point on a countercade.

I'll probably personally buy a Deluxe Bar Top and should be getting a review unit of the regular to do a review for IGN if all goes well. It's a shame they couldn't have the Sanwa controls as standard, so I'm curious to see what the difference really is.

• Like 1