IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

Posted (edited)

I can't imagine anyone actually playing a MyArcade or New Wave device. Seems impossibly awkward and unpleasant. They seem entirely like shelf pieces for people who don't actually play video games, but want people who watch their Youtube videos to think they do. 

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I can't imagine anyone actually playing a MyArcade or New Wave device. Seems impossibly awkward and unpleasant. They seem entirely like shelf pieces for people who don't actually play video games, but want people who watch their Youtube videos to think they do. 

Shockingly, from my experience with more than half a dozen of them, they're almost all quite playable as-is. They are indeed lovely shelf pieces, but they certainly work well, even if you don't use external controls. What I have been disappointed with on some of them, like Dragon's Lair, is the quality of the video output on a big screen. Not always the best.

• Like 1

Here's a comparison shot of a Picade with an 8" screen and an Egret II Mini. The Alpha is narrower but deeper and taller than the Picade, so much much larger than the Egret.

IMG_3010.jpeg

The 1Up Countercades have 17" screens so much larger still.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh YES, mini arcades. I just spent the last 10 minutes finding out nobody would take my money yet 🤣

yNnFCPd.jpg

See, I don't actually PLAY mini arcades, but that's okay because I don't actually PLAY Evercade either. And now I can combine them!

I buy mini arcades for 'arcade ambiance' when I'm in the home arcade and it feels too lonely, and now I can huck ANY of those purple carts in and easily have this thing sounding like whatever I want. Honestly why haven't I already built my own one of these?

I bought one of the a1up units about this size, and (it's worse than cancer)--but to my knowledge blaze has never screwed up close to that bad.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Even if I don't play them that much,...These days I'm more of an Evercade fan I guess than a lot of people.

I realize there's a lot of stuff out there,  but a lot of it is crap!  i.e. @Reaperman  Damn that's a LOT of LAG on that mini Galaga (Day one RETURN right there!), or the 400 Mini that everybody gives a pass for no reason (other than a Mount Fuji logo...)

Anyway,  I'm in for a day one purchase of the Deluxe model.  Maybe I'll even have room for it someday (haaa).   I wanted All the games and I prefer Sanwa controls.  Even if it means I only play SFII once (smile at the 90's memory and move on)...The fact it takes Evercade carts is really cool to me and yes I'd prefer a bigger screen,  but concept-wise it won me over,  mainly because, well, as a kid...I would have Loved this product!!  But my weird take is coming from thinking things like AdventureVision might have been a neat idea (At least if you bought one back in the day for what was not a bad price), or imagined a Vectrex but for raster scan games,...And remember when the Condor Attack guys were talking about making a self contained console?   CondorVision?  UltraVision?  Whatever,  it never existed outside of a prototype,  and it would have been too expensive BITD,  but I personally always thought it was cool as Hell!  So I guess I see that as an extension of that idea but possible now due to advances in technology etc.

(I just always wanted one :)

f84df-1983-ultravision-bw-photo-pr-1-83.  UltravisionVAS.jpg  DYqCDPpV4AAjq-B.jpg   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRimdLPtIfTd603II3tobp CMX1A9vWIAAIi_j.jpg

PS,  It's only money...Buy what you want!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I bought one of the a1up units about this size, and (it's worse than cancer)--but to my knowledge blaze has never screwed up close to that bad.

That Galaga lag manual test “just wiggle it”TM is a struck of genius… why didn’t I think of that.
Well done, sir 🎩.

Pretty sure Pac-Man, Xevious and many others can be rewiggled for the same purpose.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2024 at 5:30 PM, frankodragon said:

Looks like I'm going to need to get the Sunsoft Collection 2 seeing a copy of Acro the Acrobat 2 for Sega Genesis at Half Price Books was $400.00.

You should probably get it!

As for Aero 2,...

Well,  At least you probably have the ROM on your...Hmmm What Everdrive ya got?  an X-7?  You look like an X-7 guy to me...Wait a minute Do they make an X-7?   I might be thinking of an X-5 or,,,Nawww,...I'm sure I'm way too lazy right now to go look it up...

OK I looked it up!  Did you guys know they  now make a MEGA EVERDRIVE PRO??   I must have one!!   I don't even know what the difference is between that and the one I got, or what it does...But I KNOW I MUST HAVE ONE!!

• Haha 3

Quick Alpha update: we're looking into supporting pre-orders, but they may not be open right away this week. The Alpha is big and heavy, so we need to ensure the dealer price + logistics work for us to have them shipped here, then shipped again to our customers. Stay tuned and thank you for the continued support!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Songbird said:

Quick Alpha update: we're looking into supporting pre-orders, but they may not be open right away this week. The Alpha is big and heavy, so we need to ensure the dealer price + logistics work for us to have them shipped here, then shipped again to our customers. Stay tuned and thank you for the continued support!

You oughta ask them (well,  beg really) if you can carry the Deluxe model for the U.S.   Now it does say Funstock Exclusive,  but it also only lists the price in Euros and Pounds,  ....Ya never know.  You might get lucky!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

You oughta ask them (well,  beg really) if you can carry the Deluxe model for the U.S.   Now it does say Funstock Exclusive,  but it also only lists the price in Euros and Pounds,  ....Ya never know.  You might get lucky!

I don't think any "Funstock Exclusive" has been sold by any other dealer, not sure why the Alpha would be any different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Poor Goldleader, he will find out what we're experiencing when importing Analogue systems from the US. 😔

The US doesn't do import duties under a very high threshold so it's not nearly that bad.

I have asked for a Mega Man Alpha for Christmas. I figure if my wife buys it it must be approved :D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, madman said:

I don't think any "Funstock Exclusive" has been sold by any other dealer, not sure why the Alpha would be any different. 

I gave this a "Like" because a sighing emoji saying "Alas!..."  was not an option.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Poor Goldleader, he will find out what we're experiencing when importing Analogue systems from the US. 😔

I thought so too...But perhaps because of the strong dollar (or the fact they're gonna ship a bunch to the U.S. and then ship from here...)

Well,

Wanna know?

Drumroll please,  (heh)

giphy.webp

drum-roll-tell-the-truth-55vd5f6i04t4c5l

drum-roll-betty-white-ga2v36jdc1cggj8f.g

It ran me £257.98 GBP  or  $344.17 USD

:)     big-smile-emoticon-with-thumbs-up-vector    :)

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I figure,  I paid a premium,  but I got what I wanted.

Well,  will get it in  November or December,  :)

If they're targeting the very end of November, and considering their past track record, we'll likely get it just before Christmas. It would be nice, for once, for this to be the one that actually hits just a bit sooner.

10 minutes ago, famicommander said:

350 dollars is ludicrous. 

250 dollars is ludicrous.

350, yes, 250, maybe not. It all depends on how good the quality is for the Deluxe version. I'm hoping for the best. 

I do want to compare the non-Deluxe quality to the Deluxe, so I hope I get that opportunity when I do the review. Again, I find it kind of lame that they all can't have the upgraded controls. 

• Like 2

There's nothing about this that is in any fashion better than buying a 100 dollar VS and plugging an arcade stick into it. It's too small to be a legitimate bartop, it's a 1 player control panel, the monitor doesn't swivel to TATE mode, it has no battery so it's a stationary device, and it costs more than a Nintendo Switch.

Even 150 is pricey for such a small selection of built-in games. 

3 minutes ago, famicommander said:

There's nothing about this that is in any fashion better than buying a 100 dollar VS and plugging an arcade stick into it. It's too small to be a legitimate bartop, it's a 1 player control panel, the monitor doesn't swivel to TATE mode, it has no battery so it's a stationary device, and it costs more than a Nintendo Switch.

It's what the market will bear, obviously. It's definitely not value-priced in either configuration, but again, I'd like to see what they pull off for the price. Every other bit of hardware they released, as you imply, was far less money and quite fair, so we'll have to see what they've come up with for an obvious premium over what it would be expected to be (e.g., more in the $199 range).

Posted (edited)

See what they pull off? See what they've come up with?

Like there are some surprise game-changers that they haven't revealed yet? What are you expecting to find?

Seems very straightforward. It's a VS inside of a stick with a tiny monitor. Are they going to reveal it makes toast and keeps my cat from scratching the carpet underneath the door if she gets locked into or out of a room?

Edited by famicommander
  • Haha 2

Just now, famicommander said:

See what they pull off? See what they've come up with?

Like there are some surprise game-changers that they haven't revealed yet.

Seems very straightforward. It's a VS inside of a stick with a tiny monitor. Are they going to reveal it makes toast and keeps my cat from scratching the carpet underneath the door if she gets locked into or out of a room?

Again, build quality is what I care about. If it's better than what we've gotten from the likes of Arcade1Up and some others, then I'm OK with paying a relative premium. There's no way of assessing that until it's in my hands. I can agree that it's overpriced at anything past $200, but can also state that I'll be more OK with paying more (and recommending it to those interested) if it's justified in the build.

9 minutes ago, famicommander said:

I hear ya.   Of course,   different people have different tastes.  Obviously,  if you're not interested,  don't buy it.  For better or worse,  I acknowledge I paid a premium.  And I'm happy I got a Pre-Order!

Also I really like the idea of getting an Arcade stick for my VS.  (It's kinda been on the To Do List,  actually)...

More and more I am curious about a Switch,  though...Sometimes it's as though the Universe is telling me to get one,...It seems to have lots of games I would like...But for all the Left Handedness of this new Alpha,  at least it's not a Switch controller!  I just see that thing and think,  Damn that looks Awful!  Would it really be so hard to at least get the D-Pad in the right spot or ask that half the controller isn't upside down?  Remember when SONY absolutely demolished Nintendo after the whole SNES CD Add On Fiasco?  When Play Station (PS1 if you must) came out,  SONY eventually delivered what I would call "Controller Perfection".  The D-Pad is in the right spot,  the analog sticks are there (mostly for camera control), the shoulder buttons, the perfect symmetry to the whole thing...And then (against all odds) they even improved it with Rumble and analog buttons for PS2 then wireless for PS3...Nintendo wouldn't have anything so great until the Wii...But I digress.  And I do know,  well people tell me, that there are better controls out there for the Switch.  (There better be haha)...

• Like 2