IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

You know,  I think even the Standard Edition wouldn't be too bad.  The controls might not be Sanwa,  but that doesn't mean they will suck.  Personally I like the idea of getting all the games,  even as I haven't worried about SFII for a long time.   The additional controller is Neat-o but anyone can just order one of those.   And the marquees are something I personally will dig,  kind of a cool selling point to me...Anyway...

If anyone ordered from Songbird (which I usually do, for sure);  Do you mind sharing the total with tax and shipping?  Just curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

I hear ya.   Of course,   different people have different tastes.  Obviously,  if you're not interested,  don't buy it.  For better or worse,  I acknowledge I paid a premium.  And I'm happy I got a Pre-Order!

Also I really like the idea of getting an Arcade stick for my VS.  (It's kinda been on the To Do List,  actually)...

More and more I am curious about a Switch,  though...Sometimes it's as though the Universe is telling me to get one,...It seems to have lots of games I would like...But for all the Left Handedness of this new Alpha,  at least it's not a Switch controller!  I just see that thing and think,  Damn that looks Awful!  Would it really be so hard to at least get the D-Pad in the right spot or ask that half the controller isn't upside down?  Remember when SONY absolutely demolished Nintendo after the whole SNES CD Add On Fiasco?  When Play Station (PS1 if you must) came out,  SONY eventually delivered what I would call "Controller Perfection".  The D-Pad is in the right spot,  the analog sticks are there (mostly for camera control), the shoulder buttons, the perfect symmetry to the whole thing...And then (against all odds) they even improved it with Rumble and analog buttons for PS2 then wireless for PS3...Nintendo wouldn't have anything so great until the Wii...But I digress.  And I do know,  well people tell me, that there are better controls out there for the Switch.  (There better be haha)...

Gotta Gotta get the 8bitdo Arcade Stick both for the VS and for the Switch (it works with both). Also has X-input for the PC.  Very moddable too though I've not felt the need just yet.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Again, build quality is what I care about. If it's better than what we've gotten from the likes of Arcade1Up and some others, then I'm OK with paying a relative premium. There's no way of assessing that until it's in my hands. I can agree that it's overpriced at anything past $200, but can also state that I'll be more OK with paying more (and recommending it to those interested) if it's justified in the build.

Judging the build quality of the EXP and VS, I'd say we're not looking at premium stuff here. But time will tell. I'd also agree that an 8bitdo (or other) arcade stick that works w/the VS and other consoles is a better overall value. But I suppose if people want to play SFII on an 8" monitor with Sanwa controls against someone playing on a joypad, this is a great use of $350.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, madman said:

Judging the build quality of the EXP and VS, I'd say we're not looking at premium stuff here. But time will tell. I'd also agree that an 8bitdo (or other) arcade stick that works w/the VS and other consoles is a better overall value. But I suppose if people want to play SFII on an 8" monitor with Sanwa controls against someone playing on a joypad, this is a great use of $350.

That's kind of my point, though. I think most people, or many people, at least, would say that the EXP, Pocket, and VS are fairly priced for what's on offer. In other words, the build quality is roughly in line with what they're sold at. Clearly, the Alpha, in its standard or deluxe forms, is not priced the same as all of their other products have been, i.e., it's priced at a premium above what this type of product usually sells for. The x factor in all of that is that we won't know if they upped their build quality or not to similarly match the Alpha's price point (just like the other products match theirs). This could have a more solidly built cabinet. This could have a better quality screen than we're used to in these types of products. The controls, standard or Sanwa, could be anchored in a better way and/or more easily serviceable. Etc.

On paper, it certainly doesn't seem like a good value. But given Blaze's history with the Evercade line-up (and disregarding anything in the past), there's enough reason to believe that they'd only charge what they'd have to charge for what they're producing. Ipso facto, higher-than-usual price equals better-quality-than-usual. At least that's a theory (and a hope). If it doesn't work out that way, I'll certainly call them out for it in my review.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, madman said:

I suppose if people want to play SFII on an 8" monitor with Sanwa controls against someone playing on a joypad, this is a great use of $350.

.. you forgot to add that the lucky joypad player is only allowed to play one handed so the $350-cougher-upper could boast how great of a use of $350 it was to play SFII on an 8" monitor with Sanwa controls against someone playing on a joypad.

Yes I am being sarcastic.

(The $350-cougher-upper has to be a he, I cannot fathom a she unless they add some serious bling bling to that case) 

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

The additional controller is Neat-o but anyone can just order one of those.  

Where is the blue Alpha controller being sold separately from the Deluxe Alpha?

5 hours ago, madman said:

Where is the blue Alpha controller being sold separately from the Deluxe Alpha?

Yep, they indicated it's exclusive to the Deluxe Alpha. I'm not a particular fan of the collectible controller concept, but I did do a review of the CRKD Neo S for IGN (not yet live) that certainly takes that concept to the next level, with finite production runs of each design and unique serial numbers. Obviously, Microsoft is behind the concept as well with their Xbox Design Lab. Given Blaze's past limited hardware releases, it's no surprise then really that including an exclusive gamepad design (such that it is) with the Deluxe Alpha to sweeten the deal for their collector-heavy target audience would be a move they'd make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Yep, they indicated it's exclusive to the Deluxe Alpha. I'm not a particular fan of the collectible controller concept, but I did do a review of the CRKD Neo S for IGN (not yet live) that certainly takes that concept to the next level, with finite production runs of each design and unique serial numbers. Obviously, Microsoft is behind the concept as well with their Xbox Design Lab. Given Blaze's past limited hardware releases, it's no surprise then really that including an exclusive gamepad design (such that it is) with the Deluxe Alpha to sweeten the deal for their collector-heavy target audience would be a move they'd make.

Not sure I follow, the design lab is more a “build a bear” personalization concept vs finite runs with serial numbers.

What do you mean with the above?

3 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Not sure I follow, the design lab is more a “build a bear” personalization concept vs finite runs with serial numbers.

What do you mean with the above?

I was referring generally to unique controller variations and limited runs. Microsoft does both. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I was referring generally to unique controller variations and limited runs. Microsoft does both. 

Well in that sense they all do, like the Wii controllers in Mario colors, the pdp (I think) fight pad special SF2 anniversary… it’s more of an opportunity I always thought more so than anything systematic.

xbox one s Minecraft edition, one x cyberpunk, there was a yellow 360 Simpson (I think it had matching ctrl).

Full confession,

When I said anyone can order an additional controller,  I hadn't looked to see if they were available in Alpha Blue.  I was only musing,  thinking on the value proposition of items coming with the Deluxe purchase...And I (mistakenly, as it turns out) thought the marquees would not be available separately...However on this,  I was wrong,  mea culpa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Full confession,

When I said anyone can order an additional controller,  I hadn't looked to see if they were available in Alpha Blue.  I was only musing,  thinking on the value proposition of items coming with the Deluxe purchase...And I (mistakenly, as it turns out) thought the marquees would not be available separately...However on this,  I was wrong,  mea culpa.

I'd say the Deluxe is a good value in comparison to the standard, but neither are a good value by themselves. I occasionally get the special two cartridge bundles from Funstock if the throw-in (shirt, hat, socks, whatever) is of interest to me, but not always. I'd say it's easy to miss with some of the extras. Personally, while I like the extra marquees and I guess it's OK to have another controller (I think that makes 5 for me now), unique color or not, I really only got the Deluxe for the upgraded controls. I figure it makes the most sense for a Street Fighter collection given the nature of those games and how they control. Frankly, I would have paid even another $10 - $15 if both models had all 12 games instead of six, but I get why they did that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I figure it makes the most sense for a Street Fighter collection given the nature of those games and how they control.

Isn’t an 8” screen a bit of a deal breaker, especially if you try playing a vs match?

I am typing this on a old iPad mini which is about that size and I can’t think of it as a good thing … even growing up non-affluent to put it mildly my gaming CRT was 13” viewable (a used Commodore 1084) and it felt small.

Edited by phoenixdownita

4 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Isn’t an 8” screen a bit of a deal breaker, especially if you try playing a vs match?

I am typing this on a old iPad mini which is about that size and I can’t think of it as a good thing … even growing up non-affluent to put it mildly my gaming CRT was 13” viewable (a used Commodore 1084) and it felt small.

I'm going to primarily (98% of the time) play by myself anyway (wah wah) and I'll be right in front of the screen. I don't see it as a major issue with games of the Evercade platform vintage. And look, I'm NOT saying it's a smart purchase. It's something of interest to me to explore, which is enough, so it's (just barely) justifiable for me (especially considering this is the first platform I've ever actively collected EVERY cartridge for). I do absolutely see the negatives, etc. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, with my modest expectations exceeded.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 9:49 AM, Reaperman said:

Oh YES, mini arcades. I just spent the last 10 minutes finding out nobody would take my money yet 🤣

yNnFCPd.jpg

^Admittedly the pricing does have even me a bit hesitant with some time to think about it. And while Mini-arcades frequently go on deep sale, which is when I pounce on them, evercades do not go on super-sale.

...for now I'll try velcroing the 'super pocket player' to the side of cabinet at max volume and see how that adds to the arcade immersion factor. Maybe stick a bunch of those everywhere 😛.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Haha 2