IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

I have slight feeling one of my weaker sides is sometimes using just way too many words.

I'd love to have enough time to reply to you in detail with a wall of text as long as yours, but I'll just say this:

react_confused.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I'd love to have enough time to reply to you in detail with a wall of text as long as yours, but I'll just say this:

react_confused.png

Short version then:

1) Are you sure that Blaze never will be in a financial position to get licenses for Taito or Capcom games for carts?

2) Do you think that using words to express your thoughts on a internet discussion forum helps to improve the quality, clarity and flow of actual communication?

These questions are kept to the point and should take very short time to read and answer.

Edited by Giles N

43 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Short version then:

1) Are you sure that Blaze never will be in a financial position to get licenses for Taito or Capcom games for carts?

Are you certain that money is the only reason Capcom won't license a physical cart? The answer might surprise you.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, madman said:

Are you certain that money is the only reason Capcom won't license a physical cart? The answer might surprise you.

No, I’m of course not certain.

The reputation and keeping some the IP value in some balance would probably also come into consideration.

There may be other factors as well.

It could be interesting to hear them described.

As to what I posted to roots.genoa, I felt the communication was getting very thin, and he just expected me to take his prior analysises to equal canon & fact-period, or make him very, very grievious, which I felt wasn’t really amounting to anything enlightening to anyone.

If you would inform me, I’d certainly be interested in what things goes into the entire process.

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Another data point for comparison:

Thanks, evercade probably looks a lot like that inside. I found this video which does a good job showing into the back--kind of wanted to see the bottom of the control panel too, but whatever. labelled image below. I probably don't want to mess with that but it all makes sense. In my experience dorking with the cart port, evercade's pinouts are only 90% what you'd expect them to be.

Visco cab does look well built. TBH negative youtube thumbnails kept from even looking into this one. I like my visco games, but also own most of the ones I'd want already.

ydVcZj7.png

Edited by Reaperman

No reason to overthink the licensing thing. Some companies license out content without restriction and others place limitations, including restricting it to certain form factors. It's my understanding that Capcom has an exclusivity agreement in place that prohibits them licensing cartridges to Blaze. So until that agreement ends, yes, it's impossible for there to be an Evercade Capcom cartridge or cartridges. 

When I was with AtGames, we had similar issues. Some games we could only license for streaming, not download. You take what you can get sometimes when the value is otherwise there.

This should go without saying, but I guess it's worth repeating. Most licenses are limited to a contract term. If one or both parties no longer deem it worth it to renew (or any other reason), then when the contract ends, you're no longer allowed to manufacture new product with that content. That's why Evercade designates certain carts legacy. They can only sell what was manufactured prior to contract end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's my understanding that Capcom has an exclusivity agreement in place that prohibits them licensing cartridges to Blaze. So until that agreement ends, yes, it's impossible for there to be an Evercade Capcom cartridge or cartridges

Ok, thanks for the insights concerning those possibilities.

A few questions comes to mind;

1) Is it likely the exclusivity deal concerns all Capcom (retro) games in relation to Blaze. 
For example, could they’ve released a Capcom console-games cart?

2) What about Taito? Are their entire retro-library bound by exclusivity deals?

48 minutes ago, Giles N said:

As to what I posted to roots.genoa, I felt the communication was getting very thin, and he just expected me to take his prior analysises to equal canon & fact-period, or make him very, very grievious, which I felt wasn’t really amounting to anything enlightening to anyone.

Sorry but like I said, I have the feeling we have discussed this multiple times here, but maybe it was with other people, I don't remember.

I'm aware I'm a killjoy and can sound aggressive, but I'm a little tired of a recurrent attitude on AA that some of you consider it can't be criticized just because it is "positive". I'm not saying it's always your case, but I see a lot of people here who have unrealistic hopes unfortunately. I know I'm not very optimistic but, when I talk to these people, I often can verify that their knowledge of the industry is very limited. I'm writing semi-professionally about video games but still, one could assume than an Atari fan would know the difference between Atari Corporation and Atari Games for instance.

Also, even though in that case I agree it's more of an opinion or at least an educated guess, sometimes I also provide facts, and it pisses me off when people ignore me because they want "second opinions", just because they can't accept these facts.

• Like 3

As an aside- I don’t think the Alpha is for me (but I’m pumped about Evercade’s success and still use my OG one), but all this countercade talk has me kind of thinking I would like one? Any good recs? I would much prefer something “good to go” out of the box- I hate fiddling.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Also, even though in that case I agree it's more of an opinion or at least an educated guess, sometimes I also provide facts, and it pisses me off when people ignore me because they want "second opinions", just because they can't accept these facts.

At least much clearer words for my money.

Thing is, you use the confused-emoji so much and so often, - at least when it comes to my posts -, that it’s difficult to tell from that alone what you have a problem with (‘pisses you off’ as you say), and unless you provide sources or describe from what background you get your information and draw your conclusions, there wouldn’t be any particular reason for others here just to read a couple of posts from you and automatically and immediatly take everything you say as fact and expert-analysis-period. 

Thats just applying highly unrealistic expectations of communication, which will land none of us the wiser afterwards.

If you instead of just throwing out ‘confused-emoji’s’ would say things like ‘I spent 70 hours last month studying this, and my only conclusion is it cannot happen’, it would be much easier to hear ‘where you come from’.

If you feel people ougth to take it for granted you’re correct, right and got all facts aligned, like without any context or background, well -, it just not a standard very many would accept ‘like out of nowhere, given no further explanation’.

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm a little tired of a recurrent attitude on AA that some of you consider it can't be criticized just because it is "positive". I'm not saying it's always your case,

Well, I have zero problems criticizing something; it’s about not knowing what’s in it, - that it’s all left up for guessing because no-one explains it. Hence my not-so-enthusiastic reception of your recurring use of the ‘confused’-emoji. It just doesn’t tell me anything: nothing about the content of realistic criticism nor your background.

Words will do that, and I’m glad you said  what you didn’t like upfront.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Giles N said:

then your tone is a bit too ‘bezzerwisser’ for my tast

What is "bezzerwisser?"  I googled it and just came up with a bunch of links to a board game.

Seems like it'd be a fun word to force into a company meeting next week, but wanna figure out what it means first.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

What is "bezzerwisser?"  I googled it and just came up with a bunch of links to a board game.

Seems like it'd be a fun word to force into a company meeting next week, but wanna figure out what it means first.

I don’t want to heap coal on some unnecessary tension.

It means something like: ‘it means a “know-it-all”. Someone who assumes they know more than you, or better than you. Someone who comes across quite annoyingly knowledgeable, tho the knowledge they posses not necessarily founded by fact, just opinion.’

I think roots.genoa has a lot of/mostly good posts and I appreciate all of those..

Guess I just don’t like the ‘confused-emojis’ thrown out to much of the stuff I come with, without any feedback, questions or context in plain words. 

Moreover, roots.genoa may actually base alot of his posts on real facts and calculations; he just could be much better at describing all that to others.

Edited by Giles N

53 minutes ago, Giles N said:

It means something like: ‘it means a “know-it-all”. Someone who assumes they know more than you, or better than you. Someone who comes across quite annoyingly knowledgeable, tho the knowledge they posses not necessarily founded by fact, just opinion.’

Thanks.  Never heard that before.

54 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Guess I just don’t like the ‘confused-emojis’ thrown out to much of the stuff I come with, without any feedback, questions or context in plain words. 

image.png.3b9ad0727d34f2472b179146aff354c0.png

Posted (edited)

@roots.genoa

For my part I’ll say sorry I got hung up on this.

Your way of going about it seemed - and perhaps will still seem - opaque to me.

So also with the business ins- and outs that are behind some of the posts.

I began using AA in the first place to discuss gaming, which I’m interested in to have fun and relax.

Heated discussions etc are the opposite, so

I’ll just stuff all the negativity about this or that from my side.

Hope we can just get along without any hard feelings.

Edited by Giles N

Thing is, you use the confused-emoji so much and so often, - at least when it comes to my posts -

Well, in my defense, the choice is far more limited than on Discord. And I don't think you would appreciate the sad or laughing emojis more. 😅 In that case, if I just reacted without explaining, it's once again because I felt it had been discussed many times before.

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Hope we can just get along without any hard feelings.

I'm sure we can, but maybe stop quoting me three times in a row though. 😰

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm sure we can

Ok, for my part I’ll reset my mind. 

I’m not the one to tell you how to respond, and it will probably happen, I may not always be giving my further input always on a note of tightly keeping everything previously discussed freshly in my mind.

(For this particular discussion all I remembered was said was that they’d likely done the Taito and Capcom handhelds to keep prices down, and to which extent that would or will prevent cart-releases was either something I just didn’t catch or I took as one speculation among many. Right now, I don’t remember who said what back in 2023, because AA for me is a chill-site more than anything. I usually don’t read through entire threads to feel entitled to expressing wishes, hopes or even suggesting what I’d think benefit a company or some release. Of course, - I should then perhaps not be surprised that some find some of what I say confusing.)

I’ll drop quoting you three times in a row.

Perhaps, if you find something I say particulary annoying, perhaps just ignore it, not react at all…? 
Not everyone on AA is here as analysts, researchers, reviewers, or invested mainly with a world of background details that aren’t easily accesible to all and everybody. Just sayin’

Whether there are anyone from Blaze reading this thread from time to time, well I don’t know.

I posted directly to Taito back in 2023, and it seemed that overlaps of interests were at least tangetial to what I wished.

That doesn’t make me semi-professional anything, but I’ve never claimed that either.

When exclusivity of contracts and other particulars are kept veiled, whats left for the common gamer to do, but express interests of what one would like?

Even if someone from Blaze read through this, - comparing it with other similar threads, knowing limits of present possibilites, - expressed user/customer-wishes would give them a feeling what users wanted, which in turn could be used for further evaluation in the future.

Perhaps not to ‘indulge’ those wishes 1:1, but to help create an overview of existing interests.

So, even if my suggestion would in your view come across as highly unrealistic, it could still be of value to others just to map interests in retro-gaming. 

Yes, the emoji-line up here is limited.

No, I wouldn’t like it better to have just people (not just you, but anyone), just putting in lols or sad to my genuinly expressed wishes, without any feedback why that reaction is given.

Which brings us to the point of what’s makes for overall good snd sensible tone on a retro-gaming forum. 

I don’t usually tag or quote you multiple times out-of-the-blank. I usually do it when you just give your reactions without any further comments. (And now I’ve gotten to know your general use, is to express that I should have not brought it up again after you or others have said its unlikely or impossible according to your calculations or research. Which may explain both earlier and later reactions from you.)

As to what would be a nice tone in my view, it’s that I don’t tag/quote you all-that-much, and perhaps in return, if I say something from my laymans perspective which may have very different intentions than yours, that you just ignore it? It’s a suggestion to keep some fun for me here and possibly slightly less irritation on you, which I would perceive as a sort of win-win. If my suggestions seems to you outlandish, why bother to react, when just moving on to discussing with the more behind the business-scene hardcore folks would be a better investment of time? Or if such wishful outlets feels they ought to be adressed, do what you’ve done before; use a picture of the Apple ‘skeptical’ emoji. 

I’m not sure everyone on this thread is only concerned with the question of calculating the chances of something to happen.

I’m not sure someone from Blaze or - unlikely as it may be - from

Taito or Capcom, would care about we here have understood their business models and contracts correctly, as much as browsing to map expressed interests of customers.

I belong to much more to that latter group, than the former.

Now you know from which primary ‘standpoint’ I write.

I hope this longer post - and sorry if long posts neither are your favourite thing - can help clear up the tone. 

For me AA is chill-out place, a digital hang-out.

I respect those who use it for more ‘professional aims’.

Can we keep a fairly friendly and somewhat respectful tone with those things clearly expressed?

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)

image.gif.7d1cb15714847e5afa16be4288ad4e

ooohh… again… 

200.gif

(look at how happy he’s dancing with the time he saved himself)

I don’t want to heap coal on some unnecessary tension.

Nitpick: here in US we say “throw gas on the fire”

With gas being gasoline.

Makes for a much bigger kaboom  (coal is way too slow) … and may provide an alternative solution to the unibrow problem (ask me how I know).

PS: I believe in France it’s “mettre de l'huile sur le feu”, I think.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

Nitpick: here in US we say “throw gas on the fire”

Makes for a much bigger kaboom  (coal is way too slow) … and may provide an alternative solution to the unibrow problem (ask me how I know).

Glad to hear that.

It, - well -, explains alot (far, far outside the protected gates of AA, but ‘nough about that).

Guess I like the freedom Americans give themselves as to saying where they stand.

I like that part.

I just need to keep my stress down now, and anyway, while I have no problems calling things or decisions this or that, I just don’t feel like too much personal conflict these days.

Particulary not over something as un-existential as Evercade carts vs inbuilt software and the cost-differences given contract-details only known by The Inner Circle.

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I just need to keep my stress down now, and anyway, while I have no problems calling things or decisions this or that, I just don’t feel like too much personal conflict these days.

Particulary not over something as un-existential as Evercade carts vs inbuilt software.

That was what those 20 paragraphs said?
(I am being mildly sarcastic)

… really focus on a single main point and don’t walltext… also in US we would call the above a bout of verbal diarrhea (written diarrhea in this case) … too much and splattered all over.

(no offense meant, just a harsh reminder that readers time is valuable too, be succinct if you can)

Edited by phoenixdownita

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

That was what those 20 paragraphs said?
(I ambeing sarcastic)

Yes, - and as I’ve found that the same pattern between roots.genoa’s reactions to my posts and my reactions to his reactions have consistently felt… off, akward, unnecessary, I felt the time had come to do the diarrhea-move (in American), just to sort it out, hopefully once and for all.

Meaning that, if I had only tried to be succinct and pointed… it would’ve taken 5 mins. and we would be back to the same pattern…which feels such a waste of time over longer time.

As to ‘Do not wall-text’ and ‘Do respect other peoples…time’, is kinda interesting to be given as moral reminders, when my project is to address respecting other persons or having a respectful tone, in the first place.

Edited by Giles N

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Yes, - and as I’ve found that the same pattern between roots.genoa’s reactions to my posts and my reactions to his reactions have consistently felt… off, akward, unnecessary, I felt the time had come to do the diarrhea-move (in American), just to sort it out, hopefully once and for all.

Meaning that, if I had only tried to be succinct and pointed… it would’ve taken 5 mins. and we would be back to the same pattern…which feels such a waste of time over longer time.

Or you could have just messaged him privately (PM is a thing), no?

In the end you do you (means it’s really your call), but a second wall of text after you said you’d take the advice on the memes to the first wall of text … makes it look like you didn’t really take the advice.

PS: I have said my piece, nothing else to add on my side.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1