IGNORED

Atari Flashback 8 Gold

Hi, I have an Atari Flashback 8 Gold (Model: AR3620X) it has no sound.  Support advised me to update the firmware but the link they provided me does not have my model listed.  Not sure what to do.  This is a new device to me and I'm looking for guidance on how to fix the sound.  All my other devices attached with HDMI work fine.  TV is a Vizio D series and is brand new.  Not sure how to proceed.Thanks!

Interesting that they recommended updating the firmware on an "8" Gold.  That's only been officially supported on the HD "9" models (8s were android, 9s are linux and have an SD card slot for updates and roms).

I've also had issues with sound on my living room TV and the Atari Flashback HD models (8 and 9).  If I unplug the hdmi cable after a game is loaded and replug it, the sound will work.  Then it will cut out again after returning to the menu.  Basically, I have to unplug/replug my hdmi cable every time I want sound in a game or menu.  The Genesis Flashbacks did NOT have this problem.  Unfortunately, there's no way to update your firmware (although you can add/remove games with a mod), and even if you could update your firmware with one from the AtGames site, it would not fix the issue.  I've got the latest firmware on my Flashback 9 and 9 Gold and they still have the sound issue with some TVs.

Edited by KevinMos3

Thank you for the quick response!  So it sounds like this is a bad product all around.  I'm outfitting my game room and thought it would be a cool retro game machine.  I also have the C64 mini and it works great.  Could I ask if you have any recommendations for an inexpensive retro console?  I'd to have one that has the arcade versions but would settle for the Atari versions.  I had MAME on a computer years ago and absolutely loved that but don't really see it as feasible in the game room where I just want a quick game to load up on a small HDMI connected device.  Suggestions are appreciated!

I did some troubleshooting this evening and think I figured it out.  I tried other HDMI cables but still no sound.  I took the unit to another TV and tried it and I did get sound.  I took the unit back to the original TV and used the same cable I was successful with but still no sound.  I went back to the TV it worked on and duplicated the audio settings on the original TV but still no sound.  I then started adjusting the audio settings on the original TV and finally got it to work.  But then I turned off/on the TV and it didn’t work.  L  Strange because both TVs are Vizio V series, just different sizes.

What I eventually found was that once the unit was powered on, the sound would not work, but if I changed the input to a TV channel and then back to the input for the Atari, the sound would work.  I was able to recreate this multiple times.  So as long as I switch to the TV input and back to the Atari, the sound will work.

Something is definitely wonky with the audio on the Atari unit because I have a PlayStation and a Commodore64 mini hooked up too and they work fine every time.  but I can live with it since I know how to make it work now.

The HDMI implementation in AtGames products is for some reason off spec and causes compatibility issues.

For instance, I bought the Activision Blast system for $4 at Wal-Mart. I just wanted to make sure it worked and didn't have a HDMI port handy, so I thought I'd test out the HDMI input on my Xbox One S and plugged the dongle into there. It caused several strange issues which had me thinking the HDMI input was bad or more likely, the AtGames system was faulty. But hooking it up directly to my tv (and still plugged into my tv's usb port for power) showed it was fine, and plugging in a Roku Express dongle into the HDMI input on the Xbox One S worked just fine.

There was just something off-standard with the output that the Xbox One S didn't agree with. 

Edited by Atariboy

On 2/22/2020 at 6:22 PM, Cogs said:

I tried other HDMI cables but still no sound.  I took the unit to another TV and tried it and I did get sound... Strange because both TVs are Vizio V series, just different sizes.

My situation is pretty much identical.  I have a 32" Seiki that it does NOT work properly with (sound issues discussed), but a 24" Seiki that it DOES work perfectly with.

What I eventually found was that once the unit was powered on, the sound would not work, but if I changed the input to a TV channel and then back to the input for the Atari, the sound would work.  I was able to recreate this multiple times.  So as long as I switch to the TV input and back to the Atari, the sound will work.

Yes, as long as you get the signal to reset by unplugging/replugging, changing TV input or some other way, it will work, but only until the Flashback resets the signal in some way, (like going back to the menu, loading a game, etc.).  Then the sound stops and I need to unplug/replug again.  For me, unplugging/replugging is faster than messing with input or power off/on of the TV.

Something is definitely wonky with the audio on the Atari unit... but I can live with it since I know how to make it work now.

I agree it's something I can "live" with too.  I really wish AtGames could fix the issue, but I still love my Flashback 9 and 9 Gold and would highly recommend them to people.

• 1 month later...

I just got the 8 Gold and played it for the first time a couple nights ago. The sound worked except on Stampede.

It was fun to play these games again with my kids - it's been a while since I got any of my Atari systems out. My youngest son always wants to play Ali Baba and 40 Thieves, but he only mentions it when I have a 2600 out. Wrong system. :)

And what's up with the Space Invaders remake?? The original one is so much better.

Edited by InfoMan