IGNORED

The Amiga Mini?

Hwlngmad

I was going to ask what engine powers the mini. But it seems that Cloanto was mentioned. And that would mean it's a version of an Amiga Forever package. Maybe they make the experience more streamlined. Because, yes, WinUAE on any platform does indeed have a million settings you have to get right. But get them right and it works well. At least on x86 it does.

11 hours ago, Keatah said:

I was going to ask what engine powers the mini. But it seems that Cloanto was mentioned. And that would mean it's a version of an Amiga Forever package. Maybe they make the experience more streamlined. Because, yes, WinUAE on any platform does indeed have a million settings you have to get right. But get them right and it works well. At least on x86 it does.

Well, TheC64 is using a version of VICE which as you know equally has a ton of options. But with that machine they have streamlined the experience to "insert a disk image and run" and it just works. Swapping disks is just as simple. And, moving from an NTSC to PAL machine is also just as simple. The simplicity of running software from a USB stick on that machine combined with pretty much perfect emulation makes it just a joy to use.

I know they would want the users to have that same experience with the Amiga Mini for sure....I wouldn't expect it to be any more difficult to use than their previous product. Time will tell of course how it pans out, but I have enough faith in the product that I have pre-ordered. They did such a great job with TheC64 so they can thank that experience for my pre-order of the new product. I really like what RetroGames is doing to be honest...and the price(s) are right too ;)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Or to cut to the chase:  :)

"18th February 2022 – Sadly we have been informed that due to shipping delays at global ports, across country transport demand in the USA, container demand, and slow shipping transportation in the U.S.A, THEA500 Mini will not be released by retailers until nearer to the end of April 2022. We are still on track with our retail release dates in the EU, UK, Australia and New Zealand. We apologise to our US customers for the delay and thank you for your patience and understanding. From the team here at RGL we look forward to the global launch of THEA500 mini and getting the console into the hands of our valued retro fans."

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Or to cut to the chase:  :)

"18th February 2022 – Sadly we have been informed that due to shipping delays at global ports, across country transport demand in the USA, container demand, and slow shipping transportation in the U.S.A, THEA500 Mini will not be released by retailers until nearer to the end of April 2022. We are still on track with our retail release dates in the EU, UK, Australia and New Zealand. We apologise to our US customers for the delay and thank you for your patience and understanding. From the team here at RGL we look forward to the global launch of THEA500 mini and getting the console into the hands of our valued retro fans."

As long as we are cutting to the chase, I'll just post the direct link to the demo of prototype #1 as well:

• Like 2

I wonder if this has better 3rd party USB controller support than TheC64 did. Would be nice to have the option to just plug in something like a USB arcade stick and configure the controls to one's own liking.

Also curious how well the included gamepad works with TheC64 Maxi (As I recall the last firmware update added support for it alongside support for the mouse). In particular, I'm curious if d-pad up is also mapped to a button for the numerous games that used that for something like a jump command. 

10 hours ago, dankcomputing said:

How's the controller, and when will it be available as a normal Amiga/CD32 controller? That's literally all I care about since the mouse isn't full-sized and thus probably won't get a native Amiga version.

I haven't heard of any plans to do an Amiga native version of either, but USB to native Amiga adaptors are readily available and should allow you to use either the controller or the mouse on a real Amiga, since they use standard USB protocols.

For native controllers, check out the KTRL-CD32 pads: https://www.daemonbite.com/product/ktrl-cd32-gamepad/ They're SNES pad-shaped rather than CD32 pad-shaped, but they're nice to use, work really well and include nice remapping and autofire options. They're currently out of stock, but they do become available in batches now and again.

3 hours ago, number6 said:

I have been looking at purchasing one of those.

According to the maker of those SD cards it is all free and openly download able content only.

If they are copyright protected games,those are most likely not included on the SD card.

I purchased some similar SD cards for my Atgames legends ultimate unit and some of the most famous Super Nintendo and Genesis games are not included. 

Those are being sold openly on Ebay with the disclaimer that it is all freely downloadable content.

12 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I have been looking at purchasing one of those.

According to the maker of those SD cards it is all free and openly download able content only.

If they are copyright protected games,those are most likely not included on the SD card.

I purchased some similar SD cards for my Atgames legends ultimate unit and some of the most famous Super Nintendo and Genesis games are not included. 

Those are being sold openly on Ebay with the disclaimer that it is all freely downloadable content.

"Freely downloadable" does not mean freely distributable or free for commercial use. And the seller has plenty of prior history with such dubious claims, selling other packs of copyrighted software.

3 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

"Freely downloadable" does not mean freely distributable or free for commercial use. And the seller has plenty of prior history with such dubious claims, selling other packs of copyrighted software.

Sounds like you're not going to purchase an SD card.

23 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Torrent offerings are "freely downloadable," too, but not always necessarily legitimate.

Cracked games no longer have copy protection.

:guffaw: Yeah, because Nintendo is a beast at protecting its properties, and most Genesis developers are still in existence in some form or another.

Pirates and profiteers are, or at least think they are, great at semantic games so, sadly, similar legitimate claims are mired in suspicion. Given my stipulations above, I hope my misgivings and cynicism, just short of condemnation, are understood.

7 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Sounds like you're not going to purchase an SD card.

His, and frankly my, reluctance does not imbue legitimacy.

4 hours ago, Daedalus2097 said:

Not this one, no. I don't support people profiteering off other people's work.

This.