IGNORED

The Amiga Mini?

Hwlngmad

I'm an old school pirate, just like many (most?) people on this board, so I don't have particular qualms about "legitimacy". I do consider these ebay peddlers quite annoying though, but that has more to do with a common understanding that sellling old games is just not on. Most of these collections have been built thanks to a huge amount of work (and often financial expense) by various people and preservationist groups, and then shared for caring, not profit. Taking that work and making a quick buck, then excusing it with paper-thin arguments, is quite pathetic and tramples all over the scene's ideals (even if these are illegitimate to start with).

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

His, and frankly my, reluctance does not imbue legitimacy.

This.

Especially if you read and understand the entire interview with Darren Melbourne in my post #95 and realize what an ordeal he had to go through to make the included games "legitimate". It does seem somewhat a slap in the face to dishonor a business setting a proper example for behavior in Amigaland.

Perhaps that's part of the problem? We've not seen a "real" business approach for such a long time. Perhaps people got used to a different "norm"?

• Thanks 1

I just got the system. I'm running it through an adapter to my crt and I'm noticing lag. On the weekend I'm going to do a side by side test with the real thing. I particularly notice it in Titus the fox which is a pretty good game in the style of chip'n dale on nes. I have a different hdmi to vga adaptor so I'll compare that too. It will be pretty nice if I can sort out the lag.

1301349374_titusthefoxa500.thumb.jpg.f8cc505a5bed17e7028ec759147fca2d.jpg

7 hours ago, turbo graphics 220 said:

I just got the system. I'm running it through an adapter to my crt and I'm noticing lag.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but lag is inherent today using such products. Even when hooking directly to a 'good' gaming LCD. Adding an adapter that converts HDMI to something your CRT can use doesn't solve the problem, as the external video conversion comes with its own brand of lag. Some converters are much better than others, but a measurable and (usually) perceivable amount of lag is always going to be present. Obviously, the amount that's considered tolerable when it comes to these things varies by user. 

The mini-system toys are cute for what they are and I do plan on purchasing one to play around with, but expectations and all that. ?

The adaptor will likely be a big part of it - most such adaptors aren't made for gaming but for connecting to projectors for Powerpoint presentations, where lag doesn't really matter. Complexity, and thus price, go up dramatically when you reduce the lag. Look at it the other way around, going from RGB to HDMI: You can get reasonable results from a £20 adaptor that adds several frames of lag, or you can get better-looking results with lag within one frame with a £120 OSSC. Essentially, removing 4 or 5 frames of lag costs £100.

50 minutes ago, Daedalus2097 said:

The adaptor will likely be a big part of it - most such adaptors aren't made for gaming but for connecting to projectors for Powerpoint presentations, where lag doesn't really matter. Complexity, and thus price, go up dramatically when you reduce the lag. Look at it the other way around, going from RGB to HDMI: You can get reasonable results from a £20 adaptor that adds several frames of lag, or you can get better-looking results with lag within one frame with a £120 OSSC. Essentially, removing 4 or 5 frames of lag costs £100.

Yes you are right. I first tried it using something called HDMI2AV and it was slow.  I tried a different adaptor that goes from hdmi to vga then vga to composite and now it plays perfectly fine. I'm having a lot of fun now and the controller does feel genuine.

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but lag is inherent today using such products. Even when hooking directly to a 'good' gaming LCD. Adding an adapter that converts HDMI to something your CRT can use doesn't solve the problem, as the external video conversion comes with its own brand of lag. Some converters are much better than others, but a measurable and (usually) perceivable amount of lag is always going to be present. Obviously, the amount that's considered tolerable when it comes to these things varies by user. 

The mini-system toys are cute for what they are and I do plan on purchasing one to play around with, but expectations and all that. ?

I think this is good enough. If the character can jump before I can take my finger off the button then I think its ok.

zool a500 mini.jpg

13 minutes ago, turbo graphics 220 said:

I think this is good enough. If the character can jump before I can take my finger off the button then I think its ok.

Have you tried playing a pinball game like Pinball Dreams or Fantasies yet? That's one of my torture tests. ha  Curious what the lag is like playing them with your setup...

50 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Have you tried playing a pinball game like Pinball Dreams or Fantasies yet? That's one of my torture tests. ha  Curious what the lag is like playing them with your setup...

I just tried it now, just tapping the down button and the plunger seems to move fine. The flippers have smooth animations so its hard for me to tell what is normal.

pinball dreams a500.jpg

@thread

This one is several days old, but there's something here I find interesting. It's created by someone who admittedly has no knowledge of Amiga.

He intends to investigate further, do a live stream, and wants people familiar with Amiga to join/comment in order to help him with his intended live stream. It's also interesting to me that he seems to be the only utuber who has done some extensive coverage of the Intellivision controversy, to have even paid any attention to this new console or even brought it up by name.

• 2 months later...