IGNORED

UAV mod on 6 Switch colors are off

shear_xear

1 hour ago, BriGuy_the_AtariGuy said:

Well, I removed the IAB and ran a line directly from the unused via next to C210 to audio out and am using the same ground as the video (composite install).  Unfortunately, I'm getting the same result, might even be a little worse.

I found a modding thread for stereo sound that takes audio directly off of the TIA pins 12 and 13, listed here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/199461-atari-2600-stereo-mod/

I'm almost tempted to do this, but bringing the right and left back together before outputting to the TV.

Have you done this before?  I'm just so confused because everything works great on RF. 

I'm personally not a fan of the stereo mod since the sounds are hard panned to the left or right without any mixing between them. Sounds also don't follow the action happening on the screen. 

What is interesting in watching that video is that the pattern only happens on certain frequencies it seems. Do you have the 2600 connected through that VCR? Or is that VCR built into the TV? I would try a different TV just to rule that out.

The Atari is connected to the VCR, which is connected to the TV. I have 11 other consoles connected in the same way (one is a modded Colecovision) without any issues.

Before the UAV I tried the simple 2 resistor/1 transistor mod and got interference in the same spot, although it showed at pretty much every frequency. Can't help thinking that there's something else going on.  Here's the original mod:

I'll try a different tv and see where that gets me.

The only option I can think of to try off hand then, would be to try a different TIA since the graphics and audio all come from that chip and is really the only other place I can see it happening from. RF might be filtering it out in some way but if you tried two different AV mods and get this on both, it is most likely the Atari itself as the issue and I would start with the TIA.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.....I just finished my UAV mod on my 6-switcher Light including Audio Mod from the Brewing company.

Problem: I get just black and white, no color! I try to run it on s-video.

The color switch doesnt do anything. Spinning the white wheel on the board doesnt do anything either.

Any idea what I could do???

image.jpg

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi

On 2/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, shear_xear said:

So I decided to just run the lines directly to the TIA and now everything looks perfect.  I haven’t tested the S-Video output yet, but this seems to work out a lot better than the picture version C approach.  

9F1C42A9-647D-4E5A-B515-3A64592A0409.jpeg

2 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

Hi guys.....I just finished my UAV mod on my 6-switcher Light including Audio Mod from the Brewing company.

Problem: I get just black and white, no color! I try to run it on s-video.

The color switch doesnt do anything. Spinning the white wheel on the board doesnt do anything either.

Any idea what I could do???

image.jpg

Based on where it's located, what did you do with the 4050 chip?  Mine was soldered in so I didn't need to use any jumpers.  This was pretty unclear in the documentation.  Didn't need audio mod either, so I removed it. HTH!

11 minutes ago, BriGuy_the_AtariGuy said:

Here's mine.  Works!

I didn't hook up the s-video to keep it simple. Although I think I ended up lifting pin 6 on the TIA in the end.

20221111_203007.jpg

Do you have a REVISION B board too? If yes than I might do it the same way (which would mean the Brewing Companys instructions are for other Revision Boards than B!)

I bent Pin 6 and left the front R212 inside. (I connected another one as you can see)

I suppose all the other wires I dont have to do as yours because i mounted the UAV to the 4050

19 minutes ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I understand that so too. But it doesnt matter with is to the left and which to the right?

Are you asking which ground from the UAV pcb?  If so, I believe one is intended for the S-Video jack and the other is for your composite jacks, so that shouldn’t matter.  I just run from the ground pad next to the chroma/ luma pads and bridge between the two jack ground pins.  

12 minutes ago, shear_xear said:

Also, I just run directly to the underside of the TIA on all 2600 versions and it always works perfectly.  

4AEEBFF1-F89E-4ED1-9723-76055E4DAA3C.jpeg

thanks guys.

As I understood, with the "bridge" to the 4050, I would not be necessary  to connect all single wires to the TIA. Also, I bought the UAV Version with the jumpers. 

Would be strange to go a step backward if I dont need to 😕

5 hours ago, shear_xear said:

Sure, but it’s super easy, and it always works.  

Unfortunately the first answer from Marlin doesnt help me much: he suggested to check all wires and settings. I did that through up to the svideo connector (multimeter).

If I try one of your variants, where do I have to connect chroma and luma?

I just remembered that in the past one of the the ground pins on the s-video jack had a blob of solder that was also touching the corresponding chroma (or luma) pin, and I think that caused a black and white image to show.  It might be worth a look to see if something is bridging one side of the jack.  

Edited by shear_xear

8 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

Unfortunately the first answer from Marlin doesnt help me much: he suggested to check all wires and settings. I did that through up to the svideo connector (multimeter).

If I try one of your variants, where do I have to connect chroma and luma?

Can you please provide a picture of your wire on your s-video connection? From what I can see on what you have posted, the UAV wiring looks correct so if you aren't getting color then my guess is that the ground could be missing to your chroma output. You need to have ground attached to both of the bottom pins of the s-video as they are not connected up normally. I actually use a little of clipped lead from a component to attach them together and then solder a single wire to that so that ground is attached to both Luma and Chroma.