6 answers to this question

Ahh.. some improved CSS for those who want to try my solution:

@-moz-document domain(atariage.com) {
  .ipsUserPhoto[href*="5454-carlsson"] img {
     width: 0px !important;
     height: 0px !important;
   }
}

The selector [href*="username"] will filter out particular users, in this case myself so nobody else would get offended that I would single them out. You can separate multiple instances of the sequence ".ipsUserPhoto[] img" by a comma so by looking up members with offending avatars, you should be able to make custom CSS that hides exactly those.

• Like 1

@Tempest and @Flojomojo, I've been off the site for a while but thank you both for your responses. I don't want to ignore some of the users who have these avatars, because their comments themselves are OK. I went with the Adblock route (but I'm trying to see if there is a way to block specific images at the router level so blocking works across all devices and doesn't impose load on my computer).

I tried to find a setting to entirely disable avatars, but only found one to disable signatures. However after a bit of trial and error, I came up with a way to disable all avatars, everywhere on the forum. Your milage may vary depending on which browser you're using, but this is how I did it in Firefox:

1. Choose About -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information

2. Look up "Profile Folder" and click Open Folder on your hard drive.

3. If it already doesn't exist, create a folder called "chrome" (all lower case)

4. Enter the folder, create a text file called userContent.css (exact spelling) and add the following:

.ipsUserPhoto img {
   }
}

This effectively resizes all avatars to 0 pixels so you won't see them. If you would want to get a glimpse of the avatars without really seeing what they look like, try something like 20 pixels.

5. Open a new tab and enter about:config. Accept the security warning.

6. Search for the setting "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets". Push the toggle button to the right so it says true.

7. Close and restart Firefox.

Next time you visit the forum, you won't see a single avatar. I'm sure the CSS could be fine tuned in some way to only apply to certain file names/paths, or only within actual threads but then again if some avatars bother you, they're probably just as bad in small resolution as in full resolution.

I don't know if Adblock does something similar or whichever is more lenient to the computer but it would seem to me that custom CSS rules that simply resize certain images out of your way would be the least intrusive.

Edited by carlsson

On 5/6/2020 at 10:25 PM, carlsson said:

Ahh.. some improved CSS for those who want to try my solution:

}
}

The selector [href*="username"] will filter out particular users, in this case myself so nobody else would get offended that I would single them out. You can separate multiple instances of the sequence ".ipsUserPhoto[] img" by a comma so by looking up members with offending avatars, you should be able to make custom CSS that hides exactly those.

After the forum update, both the anchor tag and the image tag seem to define the width and height of an avatar, so my hack was slightly updated:

[code]@-moz-document domain(atariage.com) {
        .ipsUserPhoto[href*="5454-carlsson"],
   }
}[/code]

I don't know if anyone (but me) is using it, but for those who might, this is what you need to updated in your userContent.css file for each user you want to hide the avatar, unless you decide to hide them all.

Edit: Aha, the old BBCode tags no longer work at all?!? Boo...

testing
testing

Edited by carlsson