IGNORED

What do you think of the Nomad?

Steven Pendleton

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Don't do that. That damages them because of the moisture. This is how you clean your games the proper way:

Alternatively, use isopropyl alcohol.

Sorry, I didn't mean with my own air. When I obtain a game, before it touches any console, it gets a good rub of 90% iso. I have a usb rechargeable air duster I use for the stubborn games.  

Just now, Baron Von Jerkface said:

Sorry, I didn't mean with my own air. When I obtain a game, before it touches any console, it gets a good rub of 90% iso. I have a usb rechargeable air duster I use for the stubborn games.  

Oh, that's better. Anyway, I've never heard of games not working on the Nomad aside from the thing with X-Men needing you to push the reset button that the Nomad doesn't have.

27 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

My Nomad’s start and mode buttons don’t work. Has anybody else had that problem?

That's not good. Do you have the ability to run the 240p test suite on your Nomad? It has a button test thing that you can use to verify that the buttons are working properly. I suppose you could try disassembling the Nomad and cleaning the contacts, but I've never opened the Nomad up to see what's inside.

I loved my Nomad!  It has an LCD mod, but now it seems to have power supply issues.  I'd leave it plugged in and play Ultimate Qix nearly every day for a while, (before I had a laptop in the bathroom) but now if I try to play it, it works until you tilt it, even a little bit then the power turns off then back on losing your game, so who knows?   Maybe I can have someone look at it,  probably needs a recap or something...Also my speaker got softer and softer so I replaced it with a bigger one but it still seems soft....And (finally) some of the screws are stripped so I have it held together with a small piece of tape.  Someday maybe I'll get it back in tip top shape, especially since Ultimate Qix plays too fast on emulators yet plays perfectly on the Nomad!

27 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I loved my Nomad!  It has an LCD mod, but now it seems to have power supply issues.  I'd leave it plugged in and play Ultimate Qix nearly every day for a while, (before I had a laptop in the bathroom) but now if I try to play it, it works until you tilt it, even a little bit then the power turns off then back on losing your game, so who knows?   Maybe I can have someone look at it,  probably needs a recap or something...Also my speaker got softer and softer so I replaced it with a bigger one but it still seems soft....And (finally) some of the screws are stripped so I have it held together with a small piece of tape.  Someday maybe I'll get it back in tip top shape, especially since Ultimate Qix plays too fast on emulators yet plays perfectly on the Nomad!

I'd talk to Mobius Strip Tech about that. He can probably fix your Nomad. He also has a special version of the triple bypass mod that he designed specifically for the Nomad, which also gives you CD audio from the MegaSD. He also has Nomad speakers and does recaps on the Nomad, as well. Not sure if he can do anything about the stripped screws, but everything else should be fixable. I do plan on eventually shipping my Nomad to him since I bought all of the parts from him and I'm basically just waiting for Japan Post to ship to the USA again so I don't have to pay 8600 yen to ship my Nomad with DHL.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'd talk to Mobius Strip Tech about that. He can probably fix your Nomad. He also has a special version of the triple bypass mod that he designed specifically for the Nomad, which also gives you CD audio from the MegaSD. He also has Nomad speakers and does recaps on the Nomad, as well. Not sure if he can do anything about the stripped screws, but everything else should be fixable. I do plan on eventually shipping my Nomad to him since I bought all of the parts from him and I'm basically just waiting for Japan Post to ship to the USA again so I don't have to pay 8600 yen to ship my Nomad with DHL.

Thanks, I have 3 that need recapped and speakers.  I'll do a search for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Thanks, I have 3 that need recapped and speakers.  I'll do a search for him.

Sure. He's actually here on AtariAge, as well, but he doesn't post a whole lot. Edit: Actually, I just checked and it looks like he's out of stock for most of his Nomad stuff. I guess you can try emailing him to see what he says about availability.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so beyond frustrated, fellas. 

As I said above, I bought one of these from ebay. 

It does the exact same thing the Game Gear battery pack does: I just get flashes on the screen every five seconds, but perfect sound being output.

I'm assuming that there's nothing I can do to be able to play this without plugging it into a wall.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Baron Von Jerkface said:

I'm so beyond frustrated, fellas. 

As I said above, I bought one of these from ebay. 

It does the exact same thing the Game Gear battery pack does: I just get flashes on the screen every five seconds, but perfect sound being output.

I'm assuming that there's nothing I can do to be able to play this without plugging it into a wall.

Maybe something is wrong with the Nomad itself, then. Have you opened it to check inside?