IGNORED

RespeQt Cartridge

13Leader

Hi! 

Along with release 5.0 (recently created in the excellent ediguy RespeQt fork), we at 13leader.net have created a cartridge image of the ReqpeQt 8-bit client program.   It has two variants:

1- One that will boot a disk image (from ReqpeQt or any disk drive) along with the cart

2- One that will only start the cart.

The idea here is to allow the user to select and run whatever disk/xex app from the 8-bit without any user action on the running 5.0 RespeQt server software.   Below is a screen print of the new 8-bit cartridge app. 

Also are the two .car files and of course release 5.0 of the development and master ediguy branches (compiled as 64-bit Windows).

Use them (or not) as you see fit.

See ya!   

From the folks at 13leader.net

Screenshot from 2020-02-29 10-29-08.png

RespeQt_5_Menu_8Bit-v01c_BootStrap.car RespeQt_5_Menu_8Bit-v01c_NO-BootStrap.car RespeQt-r5v13l_Win64.zip RespeQt-r5v13l_Win64_Dev.zip

• Like 3

I see that you are active and go fast to bring new features !

That's great.

Did you get the latest changes from my develop branch ?

It would be cool to make pull request to centralize your modifications to my repo if you don't have any objections.

While you are controlling RespeQt, would it be possible to change the enable flag for Chip and Happy from your menu.

It would be possible to open/close TheChip and make the drive Happy or Unhappy.

• Like 2

Github is saying I have the latest from the development branch.  I did create a pull just now with the new stuff that was added - little changes to the c++ code anyway.  Mostly more 8-bit assembler.    Again - if I messed the pull request on Github, let me know and I can try again  

To add menu options like J and K for Chip / Happy should be a snap.  Just need to add a new slot / signal from the rcl class to flip them on/off.   Then add menu options and some SIO operation (or maybe use the same one).  The other little tweak I am playing with is to allow the user to actually select a disk image from "I-List Host Images" - mount it to disk 1 and prompt for a cold restart (or allow the user to cycle the power manually if they need to remove a cart).  I think I like it!

Testing our little updates outlined above and it seems to work well  with the The Brewing Academy - Ultimate Cart.  The cart has an 'x' option to do a cold restart.  This in combination with the carts reset and the computer's reset/option buttons will allow you to pick any disk image to boot (and NOT remove the Ultimate Cart)    Just start our RespeQt .car client - pick the disk to boot using the updated "K-List Host Images"  opton - then reset and do an "x" cold restart /w option to boot the disk.  When you need to boot a new disk - hit the carts reset button again and reload our RespeQt .car client.

Still testing! Will have an update ready soon but here is a screen print of what's new: 

111862949_Screenshotfrom2020-03-0223-09-17.thumb.png.7296afee8aef788d5e9a3a2153df143a.png 

• Like 3

Hi,

Very good job.

I see that you added Chip/Happy options. Thank you for that.

Did you try to use/flash other cheaper cartridges like MaxFlash, AVG, Uno,etc?

I have another idea for you if you still want to improve your tool:

Many users here are under SpartaDos X using either an U1MB or a custom hardware like 1088XEL.

Under SpartaDos X, the best practice is to have command line to automate operations.

It could be, mount SAVE.ATR in slot 6 (F:), COPY /R C:\*.* F:, save SAVE.ATR to disk on PC and unmount slot 6 for a backup purpose for example.

Would it be possible to add a command line interface (no menu displayed) with parameters like this for the above example:

RESPEQT MOUNT 6 SAVE.ATR

COPY /R C:\*.* F:

RESPEQT SAVE 6

RESPEQT UNMOUNT 6

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ebiguy said:

Hi,

Very good job.

I see that you added Chip/Happy options. Thank you for that.

Did you try to use/flash other cheaper cartridges like MaxFlash, AVG, Uno,etc?

I have another idea for you if you still want to improve your tool:

Many users here are under SpartaDos X using either an U1MB or a custom hardware like 1088XEL.

Under SpartaDos X, the best practice is to have command line to automate operations.

It could be, mount SAVE.ATR in slot 6 (F:), COPY /R C:\*.* F:, save SAVE.ATR to disk on PC and unmount slot 6 for a backup purpose for example.

Would it be possible to add a command line interface (no menu displayed) with parameters like this for the above example:

RESPEQT MOUNT 6 SAVE.ATR

COPY /R C:\*.* F:

RESPEQT SAVE 6

RESPEQT UNMOUNT 6

Hi

The only cart I have is the Ultimate Cart - and I love it! 

The RCL command line tool "almost" does most of what you are asking.  RCL was created by the fine work of flashjazzcat back in 2015 (ish) - I think.   From what I have read - it seem the source for the original ASPEQT command line tool was lost and flashjazzcat created RCL as a replacement in RespeQt.   Anyway our little menu app is really an extension of RCL but for any 8-bit dos.  This is why so much of the additions are in the RCL c++ class.      

So RCL only works with SpartaDos and it only uses the next available slot when you mount a disk.  You can 'toggle' auto commit on and off but does not check the state of the button.  It just hits the buttons onClick() method if enabled.  It does not really have any 'save' option.  It does have way to unmounted any slot from the command line. 

That said, adding command line options to mount and save any selected slot  within RCL  should be easy stuff since most of this was added to the RCL c++ class for our little menu app.  I can see what I can do.  :) 

On a side note.  I have seen flashjazzcat posting in other threads but nothing recently within RespeQt stuff.  I hope I have not dusted up any feathers with this stuff.   flashjazzcat is a master mind when it comes to 6502 assembler on the 8-bit.  I mean - I have 25+ years as a professional coder in c++, java, Kotlin, Groovy, COBOL, RPG and others over the years but I am not on the same level when it comes to 6502 assembler on the Atari 8-bit line.   flashjazzcat is a master!

See Ya!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 13Leader said:

On a side note.  I have seen flashjazzcat posting in other threads but nothing recently within RespeQt stuff.  I hope I have not dusted up any feathers with this stuff.   flashjazzcat is a master mind when it comes to 6502 assembler on the 8-bit.  I mean - I have 25+ years as a professional coder in c++, java, Kotlin, Groovy, COBOL, RPG and others over the years but I am not on the same level when it comes to 6502 assembler on the Atari 8-bit line.   flashjazzcat is a master!

That's some proper RespeQt for the master!  (ugh I just had to)

• Like 3

On 2/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, ebiguy said:

I see that you are active and go fast to bring new features !

That's great.

Did you get the latest changes from my develop branch ?

It would be cool to make pull request to centralize your modifications to my repo if you don't have any objections.

While you are controlling RespeQt, would it be possible to change the enable flag for Chip and Happy from your menu.

It would be possible to open/close TheChip and make the drive Happy or Unhappy.

Here we go!   The source has been pushed up to 

https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt/tree/develop     (You can get all the current source here)

Windows 64 binaries can also be downloaded here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/respeqt/files/beta_development/    (along with cart files)

And below    (And visit us at  https://13leader.net)

RespeQt-r5d_WIN64.zip RespeQt_5D_Menu_NOBoot_8Bit-v01nc.car RespeQt_5D_Menu_Boot_8Bit-v01c.car

2 hours ago, 13Leader said:

Here we go!   The source has been pushed up to 

https://github.com/ebiguy/RespeQt/tree/develop     (You can get all the current source here)

Windows 64 binaries can also be downloaded here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/respeqt/files/beta_development/    (along with cart files)

And below    (And visit us at  https://13leader.net)

Attached the wrong zip!   Lets try this again!

RespeQt_5D_Menu_Boot_8Bit-v01c.car RespeQt_5D_Menu_NOBoot_8Bit-v01nc.car RespeQt-r5d-Dev-WIN64.zip

On 3/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, 13Leader said:

I hope I have not dusted up any feathers with this stuff.

Absolutely not! I haven't had a chance to try your stuff yet, but your appear to be doing an excellent job. I wrote RCL simply to overcome the problem of the source for the original client app being spitefully withdrawn; unfortunately I have too much on the go to get involved with RespeQt again just at the moment. What's there is there to be taken and improved upon! :)

On the subject of CLIs and DOS compatibility, it should also be possible to make the command line tool broadly compatible with non-CLI disk operating systems by sensing the underlying DOS and pulling arguments out of the OS line input buffer. I first saw this technique used by Drac030 and employed it myself some years ago in a couple of the APT tools. It allows the user to select 'binary load' in a menu-based DOS such as DOS 2.5, MYDOS, etc, type the name of the command line tool, and simply append arguments after the filename.

Thanks for the very flattering comments, anyway. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

On the subject of CLIs and DOS compatibility, it should also be possible to make the command line tool broadly compatible with non-CLI disk operating systems by sensing the underlying DOS and pulling arguments out of the OS line input buffer. I first saw this technique used by Drac030 and employed it myself some years ago in a couple of the APT tools. It allows the user to select 'binary load' in a menu-based DOS such as DOS 2.5, MYDOS, etc, type the name of the command line tool, and simply append arguments after the filename.

Right.  That make sense.  Will give that a try!  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 3