IGNORED

New release

Al_Nafuur

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Prizrak said:

Any new firmware updates in the works? 

Yes, we want to release the new fonts and menu updates done by @Andrew Davie and other various changes, but I am busy with all kind of work, so I have no time for the code review. And currently all kind of bugs are showing up in the v0.15.x draft firmware.

:sad:

• 3 weeks later...

Menu working on both 7800s I've got here at the moment, one that worked before and one that didnt.

Sometimes get the misplaced pixels on the text on the top line of th screen, not always though.

Chiphead and Timit demos randomly crash back to the menu.

Lots more testing now I can run other things on the 7800. I'll also compare results with a 2600.

Edited by marauder666
  • Like 1

New draft version v0.16.0 (RC 1)

For draft User @Prizrak, @Thomas Jentzsch, @marauder666, @Andrew Davie and @Mr SQL

This version is RC 1 for the next official release. After an update the "** Firmware Update **" option will still be available, so the update function of this new version can be tested (the updated will be with this v0.16.0 RC 1 version again)

Known issues:

• WiFi symbol on the first menu page is corrupt.

2 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I have updated my cart (#49). I can't tell if it worked.  Version says "Ver. 0.16.0". without (RC 1).

But I always always see the **Update Firmware** option, which suggests the update is failing for me...?

everything is fine, welcome to the loop:

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

After an update the "** Firmware Update **" option will still be available, so the update function of this new version can be tested (the updated will be with this v0.16.0 RC 1 version again)

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

New draft version v0.16.0 (RC 2)

For draft User @Prizrak, @Thomas Jentzsch, @marauder666, @Andrew Davie and @Mr SQL

Is in the endless "** Firmware Update **" loop.

Fixed issues:

• SuperCharger emulation skipping some address changes below 0x1000

Edited by Al_Nafuur

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What does that mean? If there is a bug, why is it still online?

It is not a bug, its a feature ?

It is not a feature of the firmware, it is a feature of the PlusStore API, that is constantly offering this version as update to the draft user group.

So the firmware update function in the new release can be tested .

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

New draft version v0.16.0 (RC 2)

Fixed issues:

• SuperCharger emulation skipping some address changes below 0x1000

Awesome update! :) It worked fine for me but the screen went black after the update initially, I powered cycled the VCS and it came back with Version 16.0 fully applied.

This may be because I had the beta build with the fixes or because I am in the beta group that gets the endless summer version.

When the screen went to black I thought my debugging approach had failed; I rely on top-notch programmers like @Andrew Davie as Guinea pigs who will complete the full life cycle error checking and warnings best practices thereby freeing me to play contact sports and other fun activities between writing Atari games and playing them - there's never enough time and I'm working on a demo for Gdansk next month, it's cold there in December! :) 

6 minutes ago, Mr SQL said:

Awesome update! :) It worked fine for me but the screen went black after the update initially, I powered cycled the VCS and it came back with Version 16.0 fully applied.

This may be because I had the beta build with the fixes or because I am in the beta group that gets the endless summer version.

When the screen went to black I thought my debugging approach had failed; I rely on top-notch programmers like @Andrew Davie as Guinea pigs who will complete the full life cycle error checking and warnings best practices thereby freeing me to play contact sports and other fun activities between writing Atari games and playing them - there's never enough time and I'm working on a demo for Gdansk next month, it's cold there in December! :) 

Black screen should not had happen, even though your previous version was the hand made draft pre beta experimental v0.15.8a version.

Can you check the update function with v0.16.0 again?

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Black screen should not had happen, even though your previous version was the hand made draft pre beta experimental v0.15.8a version.

Can you check the update function with v0.16.0 again?

Sure it worked fine this time, no black screen. The animated plus cursor lasted about 12-15 seconds and returned to the menu, but I was already on build 16.

The black screen may have resulted from something in the beta build that got fixed - I was using a Heavy Sixer to run the update if the build had an issue with that. 

I'm seeing a few non-functioning ROMs.

For example, in "Popular ROMs", spacerocks does not work at all for me.

Similarly, in "My ROMs", sokoboo does not work.

This is similar to the debug/release build issue noted earlier.

Just double-checking... this is a release build, right?

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I have done quite a few (20?) tests of the firwmare update.  One (graceful) failure, and subsequent update worked.

I've tried powering-off midway through, all OK.

Seems solid as a rock to me.

Powering-off during downloading and checking the download is not a problem, but after that the flash gets erased and the new firmware is flashed. Powering off during the second part will brick the device and a manual flashing is necessary.

I will add the notice "Do not power off during firmware update!" to the manual (for anyone who reads manuals).

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm seeing a few non-functioning ROMs.

For example, in "Popular ROMs", spacerocks does not work at all for me.

Spacerocks in "Popular ROMs" is my modified experimental DPC+ version for our MCU. It is not (yet) working.

Similarly, in "My ROMs", sokoboo does not work.

sokoboo is 3E bankswitching? This has worked before and should work, but I have added the exit function to that bankswitching too, maybe the same bug as in SuperCharger?

This is similar to the debug/release build issue noted earlier.

Just double-checking... this is a release build, right?

I only do release builds, debug builds are for wimps ;-)

But I have noticed that you have pushed a changed project config to the GIT. In that config all default warning switches, plus some additional warnings like

• moon phase does not match compile time
  • generally nag on every line break

seem to be switched on.

I had carefully switched off some of these warnings before. With this config I had 257 warnings, lots of them in the external STM libraries. I ignored most of them.

I had a look today at these warnings and most of them regarding our code can be pseudo "fixed" to make the compiler happy, but I am not going to fumbled around with external libs just to make the compiler happy!

One of my principle is: "The compiler has to work for me, not me for him."

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

sokoboo is 3E bankswitching? This has worked before and should work, but I have added the exit function to that bankswitching too, maybe the same bug as in SuperCharger?

I will double-check and report back.

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

But I have noticed that you have pushed a changed project config to the GIT. In that config all default warning switches, plus some additional warnings like

• moon phase does not match compile time
  • generally nag on every line break

seem to be switched on.

I had carefully switched off some of these warnings before. With this config I had 257 warnings, lots of them in the external STM libraries. I ignored most of them.

I switched to a new method of pushing stuff, and it's picked up the project config - not intentional, sorry.

I switch on all warnings and fix them as I can.  I'm aware of the MANY warnings and have been slowly working through them on my local copy.

But it was not my intention to force this onto the actual codebase.

New draft version v0.16.0 (RC 3)

Fixed issues:

• PlusROM and exit functions in 3E and 3E+ crashed
  • fixed 125 compiler warnings

On 11/6/2020 at 2:17 PM, Andrew Davie said:

I switch on all warnings and fix them as I can.

Wow if I did that I would never get anything done, please share how this new method works for you compared to ignoring them or what you used to do.

I always RTM but ignore all warnings, Tron is one method that works well to find bugs and bottlenecks too.

On 11/6/2020 at 2:17 PM, Andrew Davie said:

But it was not my intention to force this onto the actual codebase.

Very cool people have different coding styles. 

You're an advanced developer but consider there is a group that work on the SQL Server codebase not allowed to work on the core for being beginners. Their code, usually gets reverted for doing just that.