IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

2 hours ago, Velvis said:

Any ideas why its not showing up in Ubuntu?

With the unit off, are you pushing the reset button with a toothpick or whatever while you turn it on, then hold it until recognized?  That is the way to have it come on in bootloader mode.

Oh yeah, some micro-usb cables won't work for that.  Like they are only meant for charging.  So maybe also try a couple of other cables.

Edited by rocketfan

Draxxon are you open to suggestions on A800 games to add yet?  I thought some others might chime in, but since not here are some ported Arcade games you can't play otherwise, and some I just like (though there are many more) in no particular order:

Shamus

Galactic Chase

Gorf

Super Cobra

Missile Command

Vanguard

Satan's Hollow

Tumble Bugs

Zone Ranger

Jumpman Junior

Zeppelin

Squishem

Planetary Defense

Boulder Dash

Past Finder

Captain Beeble

Spy Hunter

Rally Speedway

Drelbs

Necromancer

Encounter!

Fort Apocalypse

OK - I'll stop.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Velvis said:

Can I flash to the newer one and still get 0.1.7 at a later time? I was under the impression once I updated the old version is gone.

I'm with Draxxon, if you wanted to go back to stock FW on the device, 0.1.9 will be just as good (or presumably better) since it is now the latest supported/published one on the atGames website.

20 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

With the unit off, are you pushing the reset button with a toothpick or whatever while you turn it on, then hold it until recognized?  That is the way to have it come on in bootloader mode.

Oh yeah, some micro-usb cables won't work for that.  Like they are only meant for charging.  So maybe also try a couple of other cables.

I was not....Its working now. I will dump the nand partitions now. Do all of them need to be dumed?

21 minutes ago, Velvis said:

Can someone check these 0.1.7 files? I want to make sure they are correct before I update. Thanks!

017.zip 47.93 MB · 1 download

Have you tried reflashing them to your console?  You would get your answer!

I am checking them out now....

I am glad you got that all figured out by the way.  

• Thanks 1

Yes once you update, the old version is gone. I don't know if you can dump it in windows. 0.1.7 is only important if you are collecting all the old firmware. Sometimes stuff gets changed and we want to go back, like with the flipping of the A and B buttons on NES games on the LFB units. But for this instance, There is nothing that 0.1.7 has to offer to hang on to it, IMO. even it is outdated now. I'm thinking it always was and v1.8 was floating around this whole time.

If I thought for a second something interesting might be buried in 1.7 that was worth hanging on to, I would be for it. At this point, It's about as useful as version 1.5. But like you said, once you flash it, its gone. If there WAS something buried in there, we would never know. Thank you guys for waiting off on the updating and archiving this sort of stuff. It will be cool to have it all in one place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the electronics store and checked out video capture devices. I realized I have no idea what I should get. What is a cheap device that will do the trick?

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to do this for a living, just promote the pack on youtube.

Edited by Draxxon

I would like to know a couple things...

1. Should I incorporate the hack into a full 0.1.9 base image I received from atGames (34mb)?  Or should I just incorporate it into the 0.1.9 (6mb) update file listed on their site?  Both have benefits!
  2. Should I upload them here 19 pages deep, or start another thread?

These are not my mods incorporated into these, they are Brad's.  I just investigated what he did, and I just did the same thing and repacked them!

Anyways I have them done for both 0.1.9 and 0.1.21 and ready to upload somewhere.

Edited by MrFister

20 minutes ago, MrFister said:

1.  Should I incorporate the hack into a full 0.1.9 base image I received from atGames?  Or should I just incorporate it into the 0.1.9 update file listed on their site?  Both have benefits!

What are the benefits of each?

2.  Should I upload them here 19 pages deep, or start another thread?

A good thing about the this forum's software is that we can click the "Attachments" button at the top of the thread to see all attachments instead of digging through the pages... although there are already 174 of them and counting.  :)

Anyways I have them done for both 0.1.9 and 0.1.21 and ready to upload somewhere.

So, this firmware will be the very latest and greatest, so I no longer have to worry about dumping mine before flashing?

Very much looking forward to it.

At the risk of asking too much... would one of you be willing to port NEXUS update into the Flashback 9 firmware as well?

Edited by KevinMos3

I think the benefits for the full update img would be for those who want to really start fresh and erase their flash could just install this one update file and have the hack.

No need to install any other firmware before this.

It has everything as a base img would, like the rom partition.  I know a few of us including me, lost our bonus games and couldn't get them back. No More!

The benefits for the update img would be just a small 6mb download, but you have to have v0.1.5/0.1.18 installed to update.

But you would not lose any save info and favorites list.

I could just upload them all for everyone to choose for themselves!

Edited by MrFister

24 minutes ago, MrFister said:

I would like to know a couple things...

1. Should I incorporate the hack into a full 0.1.9 base image I received from atGames (34mb)?  Or should I just incorporate it into the 0.1.9 (6mb) update file listed on their site?  Both have benefits!
  2. Should I upload them here 19 pages deep, or start another thread?

These are not my mods incorporated into these, they are Brad's.  I just investigated what he did, and I just did the same thing and repacked them!

I'd like a new thread just to clarify things. Speaking of which what is the difference between 0.1.9 and 0.1.21?

3 minutes ago, Velvis said:

I'd like a new thread just to clarify things. Speaking of which what is the difference between 0.1.9 and 0.1.21?

Personally I agree on the new thread.

The difference is 0.1.9 is for the Atari Flashback X Deluxe as where the 0.1.21 is for the non Deluxe version.

Edited by MrFister

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

At the risk of asking too much... would one of you be willing to port NEXUS update into the Flashback 9 firmware as well?

I don't have a Flashback 9 to test on.

I will however see what I can do and you can test it for me?

Also are you talking about the regular version or the Gold version so I know for sure?

Edited by MrFister

I decided to release the new cfw updates on another thread for the simple fact I pan on doing custom update files and requests.

And I also think we veered way too far from time to time on Brad's thread about things that are not directly related to his CFW.

Also I just noticed atGames took the latest updates down...

https://firmwareupdate.atgames.net

Edited by MrFister

I say we wait for new official firmware. Why was the firmware removed? I'm guessing that...

A. the firmware was NOT V.0.1.21 (But something new that was whipped up to quiet us down and had box art fixes)

B. the river raid sound fix was implemented incorrectly and they want to remove that and fix it.
Typically when they put out new firmware and rip it down, something fixed goes back up pretty quick. I've seen it

once, maybe twice happen on the firmware portal.

For those asking. The biggest difference in ALL the versions... AFB9, AFBX, v18, v21, etc... is the box art. Also you have to

understand that out of the box v21 still had crappy box art. seriously, any out of box, newer firmware was not what went up online.

The reason the project split from AFB9 and became exclusively AFBX was because we resized the box art to make it display correctly.

until the online v21+ showed up, box art had not been fixed. ALL AFBX firmware had crappy box art until the 22nd. AFB9 never had this issue.

When they release the newest firmware, for real, and we CFW it, we will have to double back for the old art and swap it back in.

After that, once folder and core support is implement on the AFB9, everything will be interchangeable again, as far as I can tell.

I see two roads we can take. We can all make our own packs and projects and compilations, like a bunch of goofy ass mugen kids or

we can have a community standard CFW that we all work off of, and move forward together. There can still and should be independent packs

and projects and whatnot, but we should all work to make our stuff compatible and interchangeable so other can have fun too. The only

real set back is we have to swap the old art, we gain newest version flashed to system, and everyones art and themes can be cycled around

from pack to pack, from AFB9 to AFBX. You should know by now I make giant packs so people can build their own setup easily. Its the whole point

of all of this. If its not easy for others or each project is its own universe, there is no point in me continuing to process all this art. I would like to

build a sort of pack that is a database of materials to cut & paste from (or just run it if you want to).

But the writing is on the wall. this system, thanks to Rocket, is now wide open and begging for each user to create their own unique and personal

set up. enough art and themes have been processed to give someone a base to start with, and its not even that hard to figure out. It will be crazy 

to see what we all make in 1 years time. Lets just not all implode like other crazy internet projects. Im too old for that shit. :P 

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFister said:

I don't have a Flashback 9 to test on.

I will however see what I can do and you can test it for me?

Also are you talking about the regular version or the Gold version so I know for sure?

I have both Regular and Gold for FB9.

I should be able to test, but that depends on how some things go.  I'll know more about my life/schedule for the next year soon.

• Thanks 1

please tell me someone downloaded the LFB firmware updates that just got taken down???
Didnt the release notes say something about fixing NES buttons??? UGH!!!!!!!
wouldnt running that core make all the "Wrong Button" games work on here?! OH MAN!!! :(

all this talk about v21 and we have no clue what the LFB got. What if it got the newest version of stella??? LMMFAO

Edit: Rocket, I actually have both nes cores i believe. one were B is button 1 and one where A is button one.

unless that is controlled in some settings elsewhere. Ill have to look into it.

Edited by Draxxon

Here is what I've learned...

1. If you update a regular edition with the v9 full base image (provided in MrFisters thread, 2nd one posted farther down the thread), it becomes a deluxe and in the about screen it shows v9. Just as I expected.

2. If you put all the nexus v2.3 files on a drive, it works, box art displays correctly, but the version number shown in the about screen is v18.

3. Legends Core Gamer released today (LFB3) and of course not one of the 4 gamestops in Springfield, Illinois got any. I should have known. I love

AtGames, but I hate them too.

So... obviously running RocketFan's system files from the USB allows for the box art to display correctly, the change atgames made to the box art sizes the computer looks for is not implemented/present on the USB drive. That also means that NEXUS will still only display correctly on an AFBX. Now the question is, do we STILL fix the artwork the AtGames way so that AFB9 users can port this over?

I am going to keep the v9 FW for now. But I'm just a little hesitant to process more box art until we all know which way we are going for sure. But I say, flash the full v9 CFW by Fister & Brad, make your system deluxe, up to date, fix the box art, and you can still run the Nexus pack.

Edited by Draxxon

I think this is the best solution...

AFBX and AFBXD users update with the FULL BASE V.0.1.9 Custom Firmware Update from Brad & MrFister.

We continue to move forward with the NEXUS pack, and we have to use A.T.A.R.I.v2.1 for our file repository.

The art is sized for this project, and there is still processed Homebrew games there that were cut prior to folder

support that need to be put back.

AFB9 and AFB9Gold users need folder and core support. Then, its own project will need built. They will have to

use A.T.A.R.I.v1.1 as a file repository. It has art set up for the AFB9/G. It is virtually the same pack, it just

hasnt had the non working games removed. Not a big deal if all you are after is box art and /res folders (themes.)

AFB9/G users can recreate the NEXUS setup, or make something new. They have my permission to call it NEXUS

or copy mine and call it something new, whatever you like. The sky is the limit. I figure you CAN just put my pack

on your AFB9 once you get folder support, and maybe the box art will display correctly, I'm not entirely sure at

this point. maybe it will be wrong but display correctly because it is being enlarged and not shrunk to fit. Once if/when

it gets folder support, we will know more.

P.S. I'm guessing you could flash a FULL AFBXD v9 update onto an AFB9/G. But I'm with Kevin, the 9 seems to play better.
But you can test and always flash the 9 back to a 9.

Edited by Draxxon

Here are a few more "working with one or zero buttons" arcade games.  2 more Atari games in this list.

final burn alpha

============

looper.zip
locomotn.zip
lizwiz.zip
levers.zip
lasso.zip
knockout.zip
kingball.zip
kickridr.zip
kaitei.zip
jumpbug.zip
jjack.zip
jailbrek.zip

mame2000

=========
liberatr.zim - Atari
laser.zim
kicknrun.zim
kaos.zim

kick.zim

klax.zim - Atari

I saw some talk about porting the whole setup to AFB9.  I think that has an SD card?  If so, the paths to the media that are harcdoded in various places probably need to be modified for it.  For example the scripts runcommand and startup.sh have a bunch of references to "/media/usbhd-sda1/..." So (I think) those all have to get changed to something like (but I'm not sure - this is from LFB2018) /media/usbhd-mmcblk0p1/...  Also, there is one path hardwired like that in the atari800 core - which is where it looks for the atari800.cfg file, so that will need to be updated also.