IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Custom Firmware for USB roms and boxart

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 8:57 AM, RenatoDCD said:

Guys, one question.

I made the update and after the process, I lost all stock roms. Is there something that I forgot in the process, like, add the games after? lol

20230120_155332576_iOS.jpg

Did you do the official update before doing the mod update?

@RenatoDCD

Go back to the link below and download the firmware package from Bill L.  That one looks like it includes the roms partition.  Re-apply that according to the instructions.  Check to see if you got your stock games back.

Then you could start over.

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2019/10/21/atari-flashback-x-2019-upgrade-to-support-external-usb-drives/

Edited by rocketfan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 6:24 PM, Draxxon said:

well, I guess the plan is to put .atr and .xex 400/800/XE games in the a800 category and filter out the 5200 ports and put them into their own 5200 set.

i really like the 5200, i never had an 800, a set w/ the silver and blue box art would be neat.

for basic games that run in the a800 emu menu, i put them in a new folder. /rom_a800/basic. easy peasy, no art, no name conventions.

I'll separate .atr from .xex with the "atari" and "paddle" Genre= sections.

Where can I find the roms for the Atari400/800 games that will work on the Atari Flashbacks?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Apologies if I’m posting this message in the wrong forum, but my son wants to upgrade his Atari Flashback X or it might be an Atari Flashback 50 and he wants to upgrade it, so that it runs Nexus as shown in the Youtube video (link shown below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Ds0WHuz9gjQ

Unfortunately the link in the comments in the Youtube video does not work, but my understanding is that I need the latest copy of the Nexus and the appropriate firmware for the version of the Flashback I own.

Can anyone advise me which specific version of Nexis and firmware I need?

I really don’t want to brick the Flashback, as I’ve only recently found the version he wants (old looking Atari version).

Thanks in advance,

Mike

9 hours ago, fluxit said:

Fire button?  Have you tried a different joystick or set of paddles?

Yes. This also happen with other joysticks and even with the paddle fire button. And those controllers work fine in the original Atari.
Is something with the signal. I have a generic 2600 controller and also happen with it, but less frequently.
And and I don´t think is a mechanical thing with the button, because when fail I can keep the fire button fully pressioned and not register.

Maybe is something that can happen in other units but people did not notice if play very little or games where you are always smashing the fire button. A way to test is star Hero and keep pressing the fire button. Not fast, just long presses to see when not work. Is random, but in the 20/30 times should get a one time not working. 

On 8/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, smatityahu said:

Hello guys. My atari flashback X is having issues with all firmware updates posted here. It just crashes after a few minutes of playing.

Is there any possibility to reset the original firmware?
Detail: Only the firmware for the Gold version works fine.

I'm having this problem still myself, no firmware fixes the crash, sometimes can play for 2min or 20 min but it always ends up crashing then I have to reset and it's right back to working until it decides to crash again.🤔 I have tried the original firmware and multiple cfw but nothing stops the crashing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I know it was fine until I tried the over clocking cfw then the problem started.

@beatles2001 If you applied the overclock and you are locking up you can undo it with the undo update which is posted over on page 7 of this other topic.

It's definitely possible the overclock would cause it.  It does work on many devices, but there's a reason they chose the original clockrate!

Edited by rocketfan

On 9/28/2023 at 11:56 PM, cambam2221 said:

Is it possible to have p2 action button on colecovision ?

Hi, I have only been on very sporadically over the last few months and apologies that I missed some of your posts above.  You mean just the second button mapped as select?

Without making it a long story that's controlled by the KeyMappingUser section described in the post below.  For Colecovision in Nexus that's set up in /rom_cv/data/retroplayer.ini and there's already an entry for each game.  There may be a reason the mapping was set like it is, but not sure at this point.  It does look to me (without playing with it) like select button might not being used for the second action button, but it really depends how the core is built and I'm not sure.  I'm just starting to fiddle with an update to Nexus.  If you give me an example of a two button game I can take a look.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rocketfan said:

@beatles2001 If you applied the overclock and you are locking up you can undo it with the undo update which is posted over on page 7 of this other topic.

It's definitely possible the overclock would cause it.  It does work on many devices, but there's a reason they chose the original clockrate!

Thx so much for this, and yes I did use the overclocking firmware and I do believe that is what causes the lockup so with any luck this will fix it. I will post an update once I have placed the firmware provided. Thanks and Have a Happy New Year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 3:55 PM, beatles2001 said:

Thx so much for this, and yes I did use the overclocking firmware and I do believe that is what causes the lockup so with any luck this will fix it. I will post an update once I have placed the firmware provided. Thanks and Have a Happy New Year.

Tested this patch and it has fixed my random freezing on the flashback x thx so much @rocketfan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just started my journey with this and have applied all the latest updates from this thread. I see that another thread was started but it doesn't exist any longer. Where can we find the very latest updates to the NEXUS build these days? Is there a new authoritative source? I imagine there has been some continued progress and I don't want to miss out on what's new.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction - this is awesome.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Glad everybody is enjoying the mod, I know I've been away a while.  I'm not caught up on what the scoop is on AtGames releasing any more of these, but if there has been a newer firmware for FBX I can maybe take a look at that soon if an updated mod is needed/possible. 

I was foolish enough to back the Atari VCS, which has surprisingly just arrived, so I have that to mess with now too -- seems like it should run Stella 6 really well, whereas with the FB units it was always pretty iffy and so far has never worked.

What version of Stella is running on FB units?

Edited by MrChickenz

On 1/1/2024 at 7:07 AM, rocketfan said:

If you give me an example of a two button game I can take a look.

Colecovision Omega Race, Space Fury. Omega Race is a 2 button game thrust and fire but it can be remapped to push up on joystick for thrust and fire button for fire. Same with Space Fury

Edited by MrChickenz