IGNORED

allow myself to introduce.....myself.

airsoftmodels

thats a line from austin powers.  anyway, i have been an apple II user since 1983 when i discovered the apple lab at my new southern california high school.

i quickly bought a IIc in 1984, and used it as my primary machine for ten years.  the first apple computer i saw and used was the II plus.  always remembered

the shiny keys, and the bright power light, the lack of lower case, and the precarious reset button.  but i just got one from a friend in the area.  so excited.

i plan to frequent this forum, and see what is up.

apple IIplus.jpg

hello byte knight.  actually i do have an apple IIc.  i used to have the floppy emu, but since i have a revision A apple IIc, i had to pop open the case and attach it to the motherboard, which i was not thrilled about.  i have adtpro software with imagewriter cables connecting to my linux box, and i have created about 75 floppy disks to date.  i actually pulled the disk drive card out of the II plus when i took this picture, but now its back in with a disk II drive, and surprisingly most of my disks run great on the older machine.  i mean it makes sense that the games made in 1984 like conan would be backward compatible with the II plus, but i really wasn't sure.  my favorites are graphic adventure games like masquerade, sherwood forest, and even dallas quest.  and pacman-esque games like microwave are fun too.

20200117_124216.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a slightly less intrusive option for using the floppy emu on a //c. You still have to open it up and plug in a small board with 2 wires out the back. But it allows you to switch which drive is 1 and which is 2 without having to keep opening it up.

https://www.bigmessowires.com/shop/product/internal-external-drive-switcher-for-apple-iic/

• Like 1

thanks.  it worked great dont get me wrong, and i never reopened it because once the floppy emu was connected to the IIc, i really didnt need the internal floppy, since EVERYTHING was available.

but there is something rewarding about the original media.  especially the 5.25 floppy diskette, for me, because i used it for ten years beginning at age 14.  it was such a joy after 6 months with my Atari 600'

also, unlike cartridges for the most part, they are still being sold locally for $1 each. 

(i have owned most many of the everdrives:  SNES, Genesis, GBA, GB, and Turbografx.  as well as: the Uno cartridge, the Ultimate A8 cartridge, the SIO2USB, the Floppy Emu, ADTPro, and the BackBit is coming, and they are all Amazing.)

• Like 1

I'm enjoying my apple ii plus I got back in July. Loaded it up too. Enjoying the booti card. Still a few more things on the list. Floppy emulator of some type, real time clock chip (I have a card but all slots are full.) and a color monitor. If one shows up local so I don't have to pay an arm and leg for shipping. Also if I do run into a local or cheap IIgs or IIe. Probably pick that up just to be more compatible. I would think at that point. I hope I'm done. Anyway enjoy your time with the new fruit.

ttfn,

Josh

• Like 1

if you have the disk II or other disk drive, and you want to use it, i highly recommend the ADTPro solution.  It is probably more expensive, since I have $70 wrapped up in 5.25 floppies, but the advantage is both nostalgic, and I have already sent a few disks in the mail to my friends.  Also, I am not sure if you have a IIc yet, but that machine has been a workhorse for me, with high compatiblility with the II software library.

I got back into the game 2 years ago now.. well just shy of.  I picked up a Clone IIe.  Not long after that, I was handed a complete GS sans Monitor, which has been a whole different story in itself, and my most recent acquisition has been a II+ Clone.  At this point I too think the collection is essentially complete.  If a genuine of either of the clones presents itself I might take them up if they're within my budget and there are a few cards I'd like to get hold it, like a mouse card for the IIe... but generally they're complete, functional and they're here :)  At the moment I probably use the CloneE the most, its been hitched up via serial to a Pi to get to BBS and the like and make itself useful locally as a terminal. 

40 minutes ago, Aunty Entity said:

I picked up a Clone IIe

when I think about IIe clones, I remember going into a big box store here in California called Federated back in the mid 1980s.  They sold the Franklin Ace line of clones, as well as other popular computers like the Atari ST.  I recall the case being made of metal (?) instead of plastic, and thinking as a kid it was superior to the Apple. :)  In 1984 I bought the IIc, due to it being cheaper than the expandable IIe.  Here's a shot of me in 1984 with my new computer.  Would love to see pictures of your clones...

apple2c -2.jpg