IGNORED

Getting a Switch! Need Game Advice

Tempest

10 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

Not sure yet.  Really just started trolling now.  There's enuff info in the topic to get me started at least.   Currently @work, so trolling in between lulls.  Cheers Steve. ?

You're lucky. I'm working from home for the second day in a row and everyone has to send the CEO and COO progress reports by the end of the day, which is at 2100 JST... which is in 36 minutes. I can never get anything done from home, so now I have 36 minutes to find something to do and do it. I wish I could work from work instead of work from home.

@Spriggy - as mentioned before, there's tons of titles out there just depending on what you're in the mood for.  :)   There's tons of demos out there as well if you guys decide to commit to purchasing a Switch.  If you like JRPGs at all the Dragon Quest XI demo is looooooong.

i wasn't fond of the 3D Mario games, but I sunk a good number of hours into Super Mario Odyssey due to its ease of control scheme and fantastic visuals/sound.  It's one of those titles I feel like that every Switch owner should own.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is open-world sort-of-Zelda-Skyrim-but-not, so your mileage may vary.  A sequel's been announced.

Mario Rabbids Battle Kingdom is a pretty neat turn-based strategy game, kind of like XCom meets Mario. 

I'm currently obsessed with Animal Crossing, which is a life-simulator-sort-of game where the main goal is to run around and build up an island, catch fish, plant stuff, build things, that sort of thing.

If you see some titles that look interesting, you might check out longplays (I prefer ones without commentary) as well.  :) 

• Thanks 1

I'll just go ahead and add Sonic Mania (get Sonic Mania Plus if you want), Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Ookami HD, R-Type Dimensions EX, the 3 Konami collections (arcade, Castlevania, Contra), Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Odyssey. I might add that Super Mario Odyssey is the only 3D Mario game I have ever finished. I think that should say something. I don't like turn-based RPGs except for strategy RPGs in general and Shin Megami Tensei and some of its spinoffs specifically, but Octopath Traveler was really fun. Switch gets nice and toasty in the dock when playing that one, too! Langrisser 1+2 is good, as well, but they really haven't changed the battle system much from the originals 30 years ago.

Xenoblade 1 is also very good, but not everyone will like the battle system. The English voice acting is entirely done with British voice actors since it was localized by Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo USA was too cheap to re-do it with American voice actors, which in itself is very refreshing. I think this is one of the few games that I actually prefer the English over the Japanese, along with Metal Gear. I have not played Xenoblade 2 and can't comment on it at all.

Also take a look at the Sega Ages games, as well. Thunder Force IV is in there! I don't know if Sega Ages Phantasy Star gives you the option for the FM sound, though, since I don't have that.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

@Spriggy - as mentioned before, there's tons of titles out there just depending on what you're in the mood for.  :)   There's tons of demos out there as well if you guys decide to commit to purchasing a Switch.  If you like JRPGs at all the Dragon Quest XI demo is looooooong.

i wasn't fond of the 3D Mario games, but I sunk a good number of hours into Super Mario Odyssey due to its ease of control scheme and fantastic visuals/sound.  It's one of those titles I feel like that every Switch owner should own.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is open-world sort-of-Zelda-Skyrim-but-not, so your mileage may vary.  A sequel's been announced.

Mario Rabbids Battle Kingdom is a pretty neat turn-based strategy game, kind of like XCom meets Mario. 

I'm currently obsessed with Animal Crossing, which is a life-simulator-sort-of game where the main goal is to run around and build up an island, catch fish, plant stuff, build things, that sort of thing.

If you see some titles that look interesting, you might check out longplays (I prefer ones without commentary) as well.  :) 

Cheers Nate.  I already have an 8bitdo N30 Pro 1, I use on my Pi3, so that's a head start from what I've read.

1451582592_n30pro.thumb.jpg.b0cdba62c099a965909016831735d413.jpg

5 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

Cheers Nate.  I already have an 8bitdo N30 Pro 1, I use on my Pi3, so that's a head start from what I've read.

1451582592_n30pro.thumb.jpg.b0cdba62c099a965909016831735d413.jpg

I have the Mega Drive version of that. I prefer the Pro Controller, even though the Pro Controller's d-pad is in the wrong place.

And this is why, on the day I got it:

Pic_0206_219.thumb.jpg.979180432f5eabc6eea08fe599f9cfc1.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton

1 hour ago, Spriggy said:

I hope @Tempest doesn't mind me jumping on the hijack wagon in here, as I am currently in the same boat, as of the last few days.

Go right ahead.  :)

Looks like I'm going to have to wait on a Switch anyway due to them all being sold out.  Oh well, I still have to get through half the Kingdom Hearts games before I can even think of Switch stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Go right ahead.  :)

Looks like I'm going to have to wait on a Switch anyway due to them all being sold out.  Oh well, I still have to get through half the Kingdom Hearts games before I can even think of Switch stuff.

Cheers T.

No shit.  Checking online has me in the same boat as well.  None, Nada, Ziltch.  Meh.  No rush.  Crazy times. ?

53 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I'm currently obsessed with Animal Crossing, which is a life-simulator-sort-of game where the main goal is to run around and build up an island, catch fish, plant stuff, build things, that sort of thing

I was explaining this to my wife last night.  I don't get the appeal, but other than Sim City and Sim City 2000, I don't think I ever played a 'life sim' game.  I guess I want explicitly laid out goals and story lines.  But since half the country is currently playing it, it must have something going for it that I'm missing. :)

• Haha 1

If you like 3d Mario platformers, the rumor mill has been quite busy the past day with news that if true will leave the Switch swamped with 3d Mario platformers by the end of the year. 

Sounds like two projects are happening. One will be a collection with HD remasters of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2. The other is a port of Super Mario 3D World with a lot of new levels. The rumor mill also says that a new Paper Mario styled after the popular N64 and GameCube entries is underway. 

It sounds too good to be true though, so I'm not sure I buy into it despite mainstream outlets saying they've independently verified it with their own sources. At the very least I struggle to see Nintendo giving us four HD remasters in a single release when they could easily sell them for $30 each. I would not be shocked if it ends up just being a Super Mario 3D World port, a release that I think we've all known for years will be happening eventually on the Switch. 

Edited by Atariboy

7 hours ago, Spriggy said:

But I digress.  Watching this and other similar Switch threads to help on gaming decisions. ? 

You didn't mention whether or not you have a WiiU, because most of the "must have" games for Switch you probably already own.

If you don't have a WiiU, the list of games you need to get is a lot larger.

Let me just summarize it in one line: Breath of the Wild is the best game of the decade.

5 hours ago, Tempest said:

I guess I want explicitly laid out goals and story lines.  But since half the country is currently playing it, it must have something going for it that I'm missing. :)

Animal Crossing's goal: buy a house and become an eternal wage slave to the tanooki.

Tom-Snook-noscale.jpg

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tempest said:

I was explaining this to my wife last night.  I don't get the appeal, but other than Sim City and Sim City 2000, I don't think I ever played a 'life sim' game.  I guess I want explicitly laid out goals and story lines.  But since half the country is currently playing it, it must have something going for it that I'm missing. :)

I liked the GameCube one, but that was mostly because I was playing it with siblings and unlocking NES games.  

I've never really had much of an interest in the other ones... 

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

You didn't mention whether or not you have a WiiU, because most of the "must have" games for Switch you probably already own.

Let me just summarize it in one line: Breath of the Wild is the best game of the decade.

Animal Crossing's goal: buy a house and become an eternal wage slave to the tanooki.

Tom-Snook-noscale.jpg

Nope.  Never went down the WiiU path. 

18 hours ago, Asaki said:

Have the pretty ported all the WiiU games worth playing to the switch at this point? I got one cheap in a trade and have all the worthwhile exclusives.  For a long time it was one of the best 'hidden gem' consoles out there (like the GameCube), but with all the Switch ports its usefulness is slowly disappearing.  Still, it was worth getting just for Xenoblade Chronicles X.  That was one of the best games I've ever played.

18 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Have the pretty ported all the WiiU games worth playing to the switch at this point? I got one cheap in a trade and have all the worthwhile exclusives.  For a long time it was one of the best 'hidden gem' consoles out there (like the GameCube), but with all the Switch ports its usefulness is slowly disappearing.  Still, it was worth getting just for Xenoblade Chronicles X.  That was one of the best games I've ever played.

The only things missing at this point are Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame, and Mario 3D World.

And the 2 Zelda Gamecube ports

Edited by Steven Pendleton

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The only things missing at this point are Xenoblade X, Fatal Frame, and Mario 3D World.

And the 2 Zelda Gamecube ports

At this point, yeah, just about. And with current rumors, Mario 3D World shouldn't be long.

Pikmin 3 (I still need to get), I know that's a big one for a lot of fans. Wii Fit and the Sports games. Most of the Virtual Console games. Nintendo Land is pretty fun. Star Fox, even though most people hated it. I like NES Remix, but the WiiU version is hard to play, it has too much input lag. There's a Wario Ware game, but I haven't really played any of those. I think there was a Paper Mario game :) Yoshi's Woolly World...

I really enjoyed Wind Waker HD, especially with all of the lighting enhancements, but Twilight Princess HD is becoming a real slog for me. Maybe the original GC version was the same, but I'm finding the controls to be very frustrating.

It's a real bummer, though, to play WiiU games without the Miiverse.

Not sure about games like Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash Bros., Wii Party U/Mario Party 10, since they have sequels on the Switch.

I know there's a few games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, where people are upset that the Switch port has less features.

I like Tank! Tank! Tank!, though I wouldn't say it's something that every gamer needs :)

Oh! Can't forget Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival! And Mighty No. 9!!!

...April Fools ;)

I really want to get Minecraft for WiiU, but at these prices, I might just have to wait for the Switch...

I never finished that one because it's so vast and empty it bored the crap out of me.  I still have it though.  Majora's Mistake though, that almost did make me quit the franchise it's just that wretched.  Wind Waker saved it for me, finished that one.  After that though my interest kept dropping and TP and SS didn't help that, so I did drop it with the lousy 3DS stuff.  Had BotW not been skyrim-ish style I never would have touched it.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I never finished that one because it's so vast and empty it bored the crap out of me.  I still have it though.  Majora's Mistake though, that almost did make me quit the franchise it's just that wretched.  Wind Waker saved it for me, finished that one.  After that though my interest kept dropping and TP and SS didn't help that, so I did drop it with the lousy 3DS stuff.  Had BotW not been skyrim-ish style I never would have touched it.

Weird... Majora's Mask is one of the better Zelda games but it's... weird.  It might be hard to get into these days, too.  

Link's Awakening is fun, but it's hard to justify paying full price for the 3D remake.  (Granted, I've always felt that Link's Awakening on the GB and Majora's Mask are the best games in the series, but BOTW is an amazingly different take; it's not a traditional Zelda, but it's still fun.)

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Majora's Mistake though, that almost did make me quit the franchise it's just that wretched. 

That's the only one from the main series that I've never played (well that and the portable ones).  I didn't have an N64 back then and the Zelda compilation I have for the GC doesn't have it on there.  Thankfully I have a N64 Everdrive now so I should be able to get around to it, but just looking at the game mechanic makes me think I'm not going to care for it too much.  We'll see.

4 hours ago, DavidDayton said:

Link's Awakening is fun, but it's hard to justify paying full price for the 3D remake.  (Granted, I've always felt that Link's Awakening on the GB and Majora's Mask are the best games in the series, but BOTW is an amazingly different take; it's not a traditional Zelda, but it's still fun.)

BOTW made me think of an MMORPG that was really a single player game.   I loved it!  I also loved how you could go just about anywhere from the beginning, even to the final boss (you'd get your ass kicked, but you could do it).  Also, finally mountains aren't a barrier, they're just a obstacle to climb over!  I spent soooo much time climbing mountains because I wanted to go somewhere and wasn't going to be deterred.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tempest said:

BOTW made me think of an MMORPG that was really a single player game.   I loved it!  I also loved how you could go just about anywhere from the beginning, even to the final boss (you'd get your ass kicked, but you could do it).  Also, finally mountains aren't a barrier, they're just a obstacle to climb over!  I spent soooo much time climbing mountains because I wanted to go somewhere and wasn't going to be deterred.

im with you on the open-world aspect- it makes it so much fun, but it also makes it really difficult for me because i couldn't focus on any one thing, lol.  i did manage to finally beat the game, tho.

Just now, digdugnate said:

im with you on the open-world aspect- it makes it so much fun, but it also makes it really difficult for me because i couldn't focus on any one thing, lol.  i did manage to finally beat the game, tho.

Once I got to that first major town in the mountains, I got sidetracked collecting seeds and doing the shrines so I criss-crossed the world finding the next nearest one. That consumed my next 60 or so hours...  I love games that don't force you into sticking to the storyline. 

• Like 1