IGNORED

status updates

Atarian7

On 3/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, alex_79 said:

My main gripe with the status updates was that many people started to use that for things that belonged to the forums instead, and all because the status updates were on the main page and so they got more visibility.

The results is that a lot of valuable info got posted there and then got lost instead of being put in a forum thread so that it could have been useful for others.

A collapsible side panel wouldn't have solved that, IMO.

I agree also on this.   There were things brought up in the status updates that would have made great topics.

So what did we do instead?   Make it 100% topics!   LOL

Yeh this all is not Atariage's best moment.  Complainers are still complaining several weeks later even though they got what they wanted.   The people that liked updates on the front page got little to no representation or say and I'm not happy about that, but I thought this was all done.

Really think it is time this thread was locked and we all moved on.

45 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

I agree.   Find myself looking at them out of habit only to realize it is what I could see at a glance on the forums page.

I like the "Recent Posts" tab, personally. It shows just a few lines of the latest posts, so you can get a glimpse of what's being discussed. Only the 5 most recent posts are shown, and given the fair number of subforums and users, they rarely stays there for more than a minute (typically much less than that).

The "Active Topics" tab only shows the title and the topic starter (which, for long-running threads isn't of much relevance, as they can be have started years ago).

33 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

I agree also on this.   There were things brought up in the status updates that would have made great topics.

So what did we do instead?   Make it 100% topics!   LOL

Yes, that's what I expect from a forum. Else I'd go on Twitter or Facebook.

Yeh this all is not Atariage's best moment.  Complainers are still complaining several weeks later even though they got what they wanted.   The people that liked updates on the front page got little to no representation or say and I'm not happy about that, but I thought this was all done.

Where did you get this weird idea that they've been moved because of the few people complaining about them?

It has been already stated that the reason they've been moved is that people abused that feature and it became a pain to moderate.

I personally hated having the status updates on the forums page, but I don't think I ever posted anything about it before they've been moved. And I believe I'm not alone here. I posted my appreciation for the change, as I think it was for the better. I enjoy visiting the forums much more now.

• Like 2

ok so, I'm not reading all 5 bloody pages of this mularkie of whats going on with the status updates. Hat reading..overrated. So what the hell is happening? Can't see other statuses, butt can type out a status and can be seen by others! Hokey Pokey is what I cal it. Ha get it? Hokey Pokey...you know the sound chi.....forget it! -_- 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Corby said:

ok so, I'm not reading all 5 bloody pages of this mularkie of whats going on with the status updates. Hat reading..overrated. So what the hell is happening? Can't see other statuses, butt can type out a status and can be seen by others! Hokey Pokey is what I cal it. Ha get it? Hokey Pokey...you know the sound chi.....forget it! -_- 

I removed them from the front page for several reasons.  First, they are difficult to moderate and people would sometimes use them to post controversial items since they appeared on the front page.  Next, people would often post items as status updates that would be far better suited as a thread.  Third, some people would spam the status updates, again, because they appeared on the front page.  So I removed them.

You can still post status updates and view them to your heart's content.  You can read my post here, in this same thread, describing how to do so.

..Al

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I removed them from the front page for several reasons.  First, they are difficult to moderate and people would sometimes use them to post controversial items since they appeared on the front page.  Next, people would often post items as status updates that would be far better suited as a thread.  Third, some people would spam the status updates, again, because they appeared on the front page.  So I removed them.

You can still post status updates and view them to your heart's content.  You can read my post here, in this same thread, describing how to do so.

..Al

He doesn't like reading so how is he going learn from your response? 

2 hours ago, Corby said:

Hat[e] reading..overrated.

:lolblue:

• Haha 6

A few peeps got upset when i posted about Jerry Springer or Celeb news.

NO MA'AM Take Jerry Springer Hostage!  - Married With Children

From Season 8 Episode 9, 'No Ma'am'.
When Al and his friends get tired of feminists like Jerry Springer and Marcy D'Arcy taking over The Jiggly Room and bowling night, they
form a secret organization called NO MA'AM and hold Springer hostage on his own show.

Edited by roadrunner
link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Keatah said:

get mixed in with world news?

That is where it went wrong, we want to maintain some kind of sanity, away from politics, hunger, disasters and whatever else shitty thing you can come up with.  Several status updates went far over the edge of tolerable and we do not have the time to babysit a Twitter feed all day, plenty of reports about status updates have come in over the past and that also takes time.  It is far easier for people to just not go to the general forums at all and completely stay clear of "News".

You want to talk about world news, you know where to go and you probably know that whilst politics are often involved in world news, that trying to stay clear of it for the most part is a given.  No adults anywhere can ever agree about politics or religion and some personalities are far too passionate to stay level headed in such a discussion.  If you want to sit red faced, with high blood pressure behind your monitor, arguing your brains out, just do it where it is a common practice.

Perhaps that makes more sense to some people now, Garfield and Jerry Springer are annoying, but not offensive or borderline insane and would not warrant moving the status updates away from the main page.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

He doesn't like reading so how is he going learn from your response? 

:lolblue:

He just doesn't read hats - coincidentally he's also completely unaware of the existence of Bass Pro Shops

Or is it the other way, and he's taken completely by surprise by the status updates because nobody took the time to print the news ON a hat?

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

He just doesn't read hats - coincidentally he's also completely unaware of the existence of Bass Pro Shops

Or is it the other way, and he's taken completely by surprise by the status updates because nobody took the time to print the news ON a hat?

?

You hairy sumbitch.... I HAT YOUUUUUUU

• Haha 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Not to be cynical, but I'm sorta waiting for the message that it was a mistake.  Or for them to be silently taken away with no explanation.

Sounds a bit cynical to me...

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

That is unless enough time has passed and the threat of Amico related updates is now gone . . .

Has nothing to do with that at all.  I will be watching them closely, though, and won't have any tolerance at all for people abusing them.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Since the status updates suck and ignored user content still shows because the forum's ignore feature sucks, I've created a blocking filter for uBlock origin which strips the side panel off.  It also takes the recent posts off, but that's not a loss since it's easy to find new posts.  The filter string I am using for anyone else who wants to do this is "forums.atariage.com###ipsLayout_sidebar > .cWidgetContainer > .ipsList_reset".  Works wonders.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:16 AM, Cebus Capucinis said:

Is there a way to use that to filter for specific keywords?

CSS has no selector based on inline content, only structure and attributes. It was suggested to add a :contains() pseudo-class in CSS3 but it was dropped. Of course if you run some JavaScript framework like e.g. jQuery or anything more powerful, it would be possible to select items based on content but then you're hooking your own scripts into your browser more than doing custom CSS tricks like mentioned above.

• 5 months later...

⢀⣄⡤⣤⣤⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⣰⠟⢧⠀⢸⣯⡋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢠⡏⠀⢼⢆⠀⠑⢍⡛⠶⣄⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢸⡇⠀⠘⣾⡷⢶⠦⡈⢢⡈⢻⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⣀⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⡼⢰⠃⠀⡧⠈⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢀⡿⠞⠀⠀⢀⣼⡵⠃⠀⢰⠁⢰⢳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣿⠀⠀⠀⣤⠟⠋⠀⠀⣰⠃⢠⠋⡰⢿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣸⡦⠖⠊⠁⠀⠀⢀⠞⢁⡴⠁⠀⠁⢹⠳⢦⡀⠀⠀
⠀⣏⠀⠀⠀⢀⡠⠒⣁⠔⠉⠀⢠⠃⠀⢸⠀⠈⣷⠀⠀
⠀⣻⠀⠀⠊⠁⠀⠉⠀⠀⠀⡠⠃⠀⠀⡼⠀⠧⡟⢶⠀
⢸⣏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡠⠞⠀⠀⠀⡰⠁⣀⡄⡇⠈⡇