IGNORED

status updates

Atarian7

3 hours ago, Albert said:

I've created a new Activity stream called "Status Updates".  You can find it in the "My Activity Streams", it should be the second option. 

StatusUpdates_Stream.png

Here it is in action:

Status Updates Activity Stream

The All Activity and Unread Activity streams also show Status Updates.  Both of these pages will allow you to reply right on the page.  I think the "Status Updates" page is a lot nicer than the somewhat clumsy Status Updates box that was on the right side of the page, and it makes it easier to scroll through more status updates, versus just those that were shown on the front page of the forum.

You can bookmark the Status Updates page as well so you can more quickly get to it if you'd like.

..Al

With this option, I no longer need custom streams.

How to delete them?

Edited by Serguei2

27 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

With this option, I no longer need custom streams.

How to delete them?

Click on the stream.  Then look for the small red icon to the right of the stream name.  Click on that, confirm the popup, and the stream will be deleted.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 7.35.42 PM.png

..Al

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Albert said:

You can bookmark the Status Updates page as well so you can more quickly get to it if you'd like.

Thanks. I just added this to my bookmarks bar:

atariage.com/forums/discover/220/

I thought I clicked on something by mistake to make status updates go away. I get busy and forget to look anyway, but I tried to look at least once a day. (Ended up only being a few times a week most of the time.)

With this new status update page, I see that images and videos are viewable without needing to click to visit each person's profile page. Less clicking is good. Just scroll down and see it all.

2 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

I go to status updates, but I don't see where/how to create a new one.

Besides going to your profile page, you can also look at the upper right on any forum page, click on the word Create, then click Status and do it right there.

• Like 3

To me the main annoyance now is glancing over and seeing some kind of political discussion going on because it's the most recently posted message in some thread or subforum I pointedly avoid. Also, having the most recently posted messages stacked above the most recently active thread/subforum is redundant.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Besides going to your profile page, you can also look at the upper right on any forum page, click on the word Create, then click Status and do it right there.

Huh, I don't have either of those options. Not that I wanted to utilize it, but I checked after seeing Atarian7's post and both are missing for me.

3 minutes ago, Rhomaios said:

Huh, I don't have either of those options. Not that I wanted to utilize it, but I checked after seeing Atarian7's post and both are missing for me.

I'm not sure why, but the ability to post status updates was disabled for you (and it was set so you could re-enable them in your profile).  I've fixed this so you should now see those options.

..Al

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm not sure why, but the ability to post status updates was disabled for you (and it was set so you could re-enable them in your profile).  I've fixed this so you should now see those options.

..Al

I bet I changed some status switch years ago and forgot about it. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It would be nice if the entire side panel would just go away.  I don't know what is so hard about making a collapsible panel.  It would have saved countless arguments about status updates, etc.

I agree, that's how it used to be, and I'm not sure why Invision changed it.  There may a third-party plugin that re-enables this functionality.  I'll have to look.

..Al

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It would be nice if the entire side panel would just go away.  I don't know what is so hard about making a collapsible panel.  It would have saved countless arguments about status updates, etc.

My main gripe with the status updates was that many people started to use that for things that belonged to the forums instead, and all because the status updates were on the main page and so they got more visibility.

The results is that a lot of valuable info got posted there and then got lost instead of being put in a forum thread so that it could have been useful for others.

A collapsible side panel wouldn't have solved that, IMO.

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

I agree, that's how it used to be, and I'm not sure why Invision changed it.  There may a third-party plugin that re-enables this functionality.  I'll have to look.

..Al

Thanks, and sorry to complain about such things.  I tend to forget that you are at the mercy of the software for hosting your forums, not just making changes at will.  I've been whipped at work for too many years - "can you move this over one pixel to the left?" and had to.  So glad - we have a dedicated UI guy now so I am mostly free to work on other things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

Wait, it's possible to unbanned from updates?
Looks like i'm still blocked.

• Like 1

@Albert with the Status Updates now gone from the front page, the side bar still contains "recent posts" and "active topics"

There's only a subtle difference between them. 

Many times they show the same things.  A recent post to a topic seems to make that an active topic, too.

Anything else you can add on to the side?

"new topics" or "hot topics", etc?

• Like 1

The status updates were good, and bad... they became a tool for endless promotion... rather than a personal status of our members..

If given the tools, the members themselves would have been able to unsubscribe feeds from them and there wouldn't be problem.

If you ignored a user did the status update still show from them? I didn't think that happened but if it did that's not good.

It would be nice to set up your own front page how you like. Most people like to be their own moderators and can pick/choose what they can see or can't see. No one is a fan of others controlling content. Since the technology to control that content is abundant, it boggles the mind as to why so much effort is put into controlling speech, bans, etc. etc, ... That time might be better spent on the tools to let people do it themselves.

That would mean a person could turn on or off individual status reports, the whole of status reports, or even certain users. Moderation could then be used for it's original purpose, to prevent fights and flames until  the determination if a user to user ban could be implemented by the administrator, if a user was fighting with the whole of the forums, bans and perma-bans. Information and conversation should never be constrained. The world doesn't need anymore tyrants.

That sort of configuration would help prevent the conundrums and avoid making our own little band of thought, speech, and idea police. It would allow the people as well as the admins and moderators more time to enjoy life as well as concentrate on real problems, and their fixes.

Imagine being able to concentrate and fix all that is broken, those links and pages that made AA resources available to members, the anecdotes, and trivia about the systems... all are still in need of attention. AA could as wonderful as it was, and arguably even better. Now that would be something to be proud of.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 11:06 PM, fdr4prez said:

@Albert with the Status Updates now gone from the front page, the side bar still contains "recent posts" and "active topics"

There's only a subtle difference between them.

I agree.   Find myself looking at them out of habit only to realize it is what I could see at a glance on the forums page.

And if people want to complain about Garfield and what not, the information from the threads most of the time is also not anything important to me.

Missing the updates of people on here, I am able to do what apparently some complainers could not: simply ignore it and click on what I want.