IGNORED

Nintendo DS Yellow Screens???

Hi everyone, I just found my Nintendo DS Lite on one of the plastic bins I use for storage. I haven't used the system in years and when I opened it and turned it on I found that the screens have a yellowish tint to them. I did a quick research online and found that other people have the same issue with it, but I was wondering if this is a common problem most collectors are aware of or if this only happens under certain conditions (such as humidity or something). It's not clear to me if this was my fault, if this is a hardware problem that affects all systems or if it's just related to the passage of time. To be clear, the plastic bin is sealed and not in direct contact with floor, so that would discard humidity. Now I have a few questions: Is there any way to repair it or should I get another DS? Do all systems from the DS family suffer from the same problem or just the Lites? Does this also happen the DSi or DSi XL systems? Because I'd be more than glad to get one of those if it solves the problem. Finally, I also have a 3DS which I use a lot and love, is there any chance this might happen with the 3DS? Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to reading your responses. I'll attach a picture below too.

IMG_20200317_152945160.jpg

The 3ds has a "low power" option that uses a lower powered led to light the screen, rather than the higher powered white led. You can turn the screen up using the system settings and it'll get it's proper coloring back.

If the power is off to long the battery can fully drain and it will forget your settings. I don't know why low power was the stock setting on the various 3ds family, but I notice fairly minimal power savings, and imo, it just looks gross. Often most people set it to its normal power mode, and then forget about this er, "feature".

Edit= sorry, just notice it's for ds, rather than 3ds, mind is slightly yellow too, not as noticeable, but it's there. It could be a different color led to start with, or perhaps the plastic covering is becoming discolored due to age?

Edited by Video

1 hour ago, Video said:

The 3ds has a "low power" option that uses a lower powered led to light the screen, rather than the higher powered white led. You can turn the screen up using the system settings and it'll get it's proper coloring back.

If the power is off to long the battery can fully drain and it will forget your settings. I don't know why low power was the stock setting on the various 3ds family, but I notice fairly minimal power savings, and imo, it just looks gross. Often most people set it to its normal power mode, and then forget about this er, "feature".

Edit= sorry, just notice it's for ds, rather than 3ds, mind is slightly yellow too, not as noticeable, but it's there. It could be a different color led to start with, or perhaps the plastic covering is becoming discolored due to age?

I assume it's related to age because I bought my DS around ten years ago and even then it was used. Also, I hadn't used the system in around a year and it was fine back then. It's a shame, I love the DS and I don't want to get another one if the same thing is going to happen. Maybe someone else has had some experience with this issue?

Also, do you use a stylus? I try to avoid touching the screens with my hands due to the corrosive nature of the oils in your skin. Besides, I just don't like fingerprints, and it's much harder to clean plastic screens as opposed to glass ones.

I did use screen protectors though, which may be why mine isn't as yellow as some I've seen. Luckily the ds and 3ds screens are the same size so you can still get protectors for it.

7 hours ago, Video said:

Also, do you use a stylus? I try to avoid touching the screens with my hands due to the corrosive nature of the oils in your skin. Besides, I just don't like fingerprints, and it's much harder to clean plastic screens as opposed to glass ones.

I did use screen protectors though, which may be why mine isn't as yellow as some I've seen. Luckily the ds and 3ds screens are the same size so you can still get protectors for it.

I use a stylus and never touched the screens since I got a couple of screen protectors as soon as I bought the system.

I'm pretty sure it's age/oxidation. I think my brick DS has that too and I bought that new back in 2006. I'm betting the yellowing is in the top layer, the plastic that protects the touch layer.

I haven't really looked at my Lites but I will tonight. My bottom screen on my DSi XL is a slightly different hue than the top, which I never noticed until I recently played Brain Age.

10 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

I checked my DS cache. Here's what I found

DS: it's naturally dim but no yellowing

DS Lite Silver- no yellowing

DS Lite Rose- yellowing

DSi XL-no yellowing.

Everything beyond my original DS was purchased used.

Thanks for sharing your findings. Now I feel like I should have gotten a DSi XL: it looks cool, playing games on the bigger screens is great, I bet the battery lasts for a long time and from what I've heard (not just from you), there's no yellowing to its screens.