IGNORED

Doom 64 Has Motion Controls

Magmavision2000

Gyro for aiming like in Starfox 64 3D or just about any mobile FPS is nice to have, and many younger gamers are probably used to it. 

If Fortnite does it, I would expect all Bethesda games to do it as well. Here's an explainer:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/guide_fortnite_-_how_to_use_gyro_motion_controls_on_nintendo_switch

Well if your concept of motion controls is what the Wii did for games like Call of Duty, Conduit1/2, etc I'd have to ask what YOUR problem is.  It effectively worked as a pretty damn fine mouse control with the stick used as your WASD style keyboard setup for the rest of your movement.  It quite frankly was the best control experience I had on a FPS game on a console.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Five lengthy developer intro animations to start the game... then they want me to make a Bethesda account... and then 30 seconds after starting in earnest: "Achievement Unlocked! You discovered a secret!" ?

Thankfully it looks and plays great, much better than messing with an N64 controller. I need to detox after that exposure to modern gaming, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Too bad they removed almost all of the sequence breaking in that version of Prime.

tenor.gif

I'm not sure he's talking about that kind of motion controls though, since I heard they also work with a pro controller. I guess it's more like Splatoon and Fornite. Nintendo Life's reviewer thinks it works well, but admits it's weirder than in Turok since you can't aim up and down anyway...

36 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

tenor.gif

I'm not sure he's talking about that kind of motion controls though, since I heard they also work with a pro controller. I guess it's more like Splatoon and Fornite. Nintendo Life's reviewer thinks it works well, but admits it's weirder than in Turok since you can't aim up and down anyway...

Oh. Oops! It's probably not bad if you use the Joy-cons, though. I tried using the motion controls in Mario with the Pro controller and it was pretty horrible.

Not a huge N64 fan, but when I finally got one a few years back, I did get Doom 64. I'm not a huge FPS guy, but I do like them up to, I dunno, maybe Quake? Anyway, I did really like Doom 64 when I got it, except for the terrible, terrible gamma settings where I would literally have to turn up the brightness to an unacceptable level on the TV itself to play it. Frankly, that was a big enough pain that I wouldn't play it very often.

Anyway, I can't imagine every playing that version again. This Switch version is excellent. Plays great, you can actually SEE it... great job by all involved. Just a really good Doom.

• Like 3

For those without the means otherwise or hate the gamma issue on the original Doom 64 game, google up Doom 64 EX.

The people who would eventually form that company that did the 2 turok games, actually created their entire structure off this game first and made it open to multi-PC based OS's for free.  You get the app, includes a tool to convert the WAD data is from the N64 rom to something their tool can use, and then it just works.  You can play Doom 64 on your PC basically free, whatever res you like, classic, joystick, or mouse/keys control.  It's really quite amazing they've come full circle back to this one they did as a learning experience to get their business basically started.

• Thanks 1

The motion controls on this Switch version are actually kinda neat. It's just for left and right movement/aiming and it's a lot faster and more precise than the sticks by themselves. It makes the game control more like keyboard + mouse than keyboard alone. 

It seems weird to have this on an N64 game, but it's a good enhancement, just as it was on Starfox 64 3D. 

Now I need to get used to the character graphics again. They almost look like the public domain versions of Doom. 

Like Daj, I noticed the developer credits and kinda barfed a little too. I've only booted it once and hope they're skippable next time out. 

• Like 1