IGNORED

RespeQt 5.2 and new Repository

ebiguy

Hi RespeQt users.

A new stable version has been released. Version 5.2

The latest addition is a SIO auto-reconnect feature.

The Super Archiver compatibility has also been improved.

The Windows binaries are here:

For Windows 32bits: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/releases/download/r5.2/RespeQt-r5.2-32bits.zip

For Windows 64bits: https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt/releases/download/r5.2/RespeQt-r5.2-64bits.zip

IMPORTANT: for all contributors:

@TheMontezuma has given his GitHub RespeQt account to me.

I migrated the repository from my personal account (ebiguy) to this new account (respeqt).

The main benefit is that I can now merge the develop branch into master and attach binaries to it.

IMPORTANT: It means that I will no longer accept pull request on the ebiguy repository.

Please fork the https://github.com/RespeQt/RespeQt.git if you want to contribute and make pull request from this new repository.

If you see any problem with this migration, please tell me.

I will probably delete the repository from my ebiguy account in a couple of weeks so that no more pull request is emitted.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Tempest said:

Is there a Linux port of this?

RespeQt works on Windows and Linux.

I have uploaded Windows versions only as this is my main platform.

But I am sure that some Linux binaries will be built in a few days by others.

Anyone to build Linux binaries of the official 5.2 so I can add them in the repository?

As this is the first official binary and it appears to be stable, it would be cool to have several Linux flavors (like R.Pi or other hardware/distros).

Edited by ebiguy

A motivation to create a new repository was to cut the link between all repositories and the jzatarski's repository.

image.png.1ea6d2f77c7c4595d9a941a8820c2d49.png

This is important because people think that the root project of all these forks is the official one and has the latest binaries and sources.

But of course this is wrong. Much confusion that we can see also with the recurring questions in AtariAge asking "Where are the latest sources ?".

So I kindly ask all contributors to delete their repository forked from ebiguy and recreate a repo from the new one.

Otherwise browsing GitHub will still lead indirectly to jzatarski.

• Like 3

I created Linux builds of RespeQt 5.1 recently (eventually see my signature). When I find the time, I will update my Linux builds to 5.2 ... these builds are not tested 100% - but they are created using the original code, so no changes had to be made to make building work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, atarixle said:

When I find the time, I will update my Linux builds to 5.2

Thank you very much.

I will post them to the repository with your permission.

I read your web page. Could you update the link to the repository where everyone can find the latest sources.

It is still pointing to jzatarski.

55 minutes ago, atarixle said:

I created Linux builds of RespeQt 5.1 recently (eventually see my signature). When I find the time, I will update my Linux builds to 5.2 ... these builds are not tested 100% - but they are created using the original code, so no changes had to be made to make building work.

Thank you.  Unfortunately this is for Debian and I'm using Arch.  I think there's a way to install .deb packages on Arch, but I'll have to look into it. 

There is an Arch port of 4.4 but it won't compile anymore due to a missing header file (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/respeqt-git).

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

With as many Mac users as there are in the Atari 8 bit scene, it puzzles me that there still is no new Mac version of RespeQt.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Mathy,

And how you run Alttira on your mac?

Gr. Marco

Mooi dat zei het verder onderwikkellen, atari8warez (ray) heeft niks meer geupdated maar ook handig ALibPc v0.5 vergelijkbaar met prosystem van atarimax.

8 hours ago, Tempest said:

Thank you.  Unfortunately this is for Debian and I'm using Arch.  I think there's a way to install .deb packages on Arch, but I'll have to look into it. 

There is an Arch port of 4.4 but it won't compile anymore due to a missing header file (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/respeqt-git).

I have to correct you: these builds are made in debian, and Ubuntu. But they are not distributed as a .deb-file (except an old one, but that's another story).

You should be able to run the build using the oldest QT-version (I think this is the debian-9-build, which I unfortunately did not create a 64 Bit one).

There wont be any updates from me, because I cannot build it at this point.

It fails on debian 10 / Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bits: ambiguous overload for 'operator []' (operant types are 'QByteArray' and 'long unsigned int') (diskimage.cpp 3479).

Strangely it works in debian 10 32 bits. If I cast sizeof(...) to (quint16)sizeof(...) it builds to the end.

But then, both builds stop emulation after 5 timeouts... I am not satisfied with my builds at this stage.

1 hour ago, atarixle said:

There wont be any updates from me, because I cannot build it at this point.

It fails on debian 10 / Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bits: ambiguous overload for 'operator []' (operant types are 'QByteArray' and 'long unsigned int') (diskimage.cpp 3479).

Strangely it works in debian 10 32 bits. If I cast sizeof(...) to (quint16)sizeof(...) it builds to the end.

But then, both builds stop emulation after 5 timeouts... I am not satisfied with my builds at this stage.

I just got the same error during my compile.

I was able to build the previous release(s) without issue (using the ebiguy repo).

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 64bit (based on Ubuntu 18.04).

diskimage.cpp 3479

Thank you for trying to build the Linux version.

This line gets executed only if you boot Super Archiver 3.12.

Your cast proposal is the right one to do.

So if you try any other disk images in RespeQt and the emulation stops after 5 timeouts, the problem is elsewhere, not at this line.

Anyway, thanks for this information. I will change this line to avoid the error (which I don't get with Qt for Windows 5.8.0 using MSVC).

Did anyone else successfully build the version under any Linux/Unix flavor after adding the cast? @13Leader ?

Edited by ebiguy

15 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

Thank you for trying to build the Linux version.

This line gets executed only if you boot Super Archiver 3.12.

Your cast proposal is the right one to do.

So if you try any other disk images in RespeQt and the emulation stops after 5 timeouts, the problem is elsewhere, not at this line.

Anyway, thanks for this information. I will change this line to avoid the error (which I don't get with Qt for Windows 5.8.0 using MSVC).

Did anyone else successfully build the version under any Linux/Unix flavor after adding the cast? @13Leader ?

If it helps:

"Using Qt version 5.9.5 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"

fyi: previous versions of RespeQt / AspeQt for Windows used to run fine out-of-the-box in Wine on Linux.

On Mac OS X, I had to set a symbolic link to the host's serial-device-file (cd wine-dir/dosdevices && ln -s /dev/ttyUSB-whatever-the-name-is COM1).

I did this once, but the last time I tried, this method failed. May be it depends on the wine-version and if it correctly translates Windows' serial-handling into Mac OS X' serial-handling. To my shame, I don't remember if I was using Wineskin Winery, or Kronenbergs Winebottler. It must have been one of these two.

Speaking of Altirra: on all my Linux'es (and Mac OS X), Altirra runs way too slow, compared to its performance on real Windows on the same hardware. It does not handle command-line-options the way we want it for developing using WUDSN-IDE (but there are workarounds for Linux).

For running the newest demos (which are too deep into real hardware that it does not work on atari800), or playing games in classic ray-tube-view, it is good enough.

Edited by atarixle

13 hours ago, ebiguy said:

Oh I forgot this may be important information: it times-out when ever the Atari reads from the SIO2SD in High Speed.

When it reads data from RespeQt, then this misbehaviour does not appeare.

fyi: previous versions of RespeQt / AspeQt for Windows used to run fine out-of-the-box in Wine on Linux.

Really?  I can try that.  Whenever I tried to use RespeQT on my Linux box (Ubuntu or Arch) I always had trouble with permissions to the various ports like my Serial port.  Maybe I should try using my SIO2USB and see if that has the same issues?

8 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Really?  I can try that.  Whenever I tried to use RespeQT on my Linux box (Ubuntu or Arch) I always had trouble with permissions to the various ports like my Serial port.  Maybe I should try using my SIO2USB and see if that has the same issues?

You may need to add your user to the group that has rw permissions to the serial port.

On Ubuntu, `sudo adduser username dialout` should do the trick. On Arch, I'm not sure if adduser would do the trick.

The alternative command would be `sudo gpasswd -a username dialout`.

Be sure to logout and login again for the new group permissions to take effect.

To find out what group has rw permissions on the device, use `ls -g /dev/ttyS0` or `ls -g /dev/ttyUSB0`. It'll probably show `dialout`. If it isn't, change all references to dialout in the previous commands to the group that gets displayed.

3 hours ago, atarixle said:

it worked fine in 5.1 and older

Do you think you can help me identify the issue by checkouting previous commits (between 5.1 and 5.2) to determine when the issue appeared.

I am not a Linux users and I won't be able to investigate and/or reproduce your problem.

Thank you for your help.