IGNORED

Imagewriter II adapter for 2GS and 2C?

newTIboyRob

Hello all.  I have (1) Imagewriter II printer that I would like to share with a 2E and a 2GS.   Thus there are two total printer cables, and I'm looking to connect a male adapter end to the printer with female connectors at the adapter's "Y" splitter 

points. (I realize that the obvious answer is simply to label the cords accordingly and switch out the cable for whichever computer will be used.) 

But to make life even easier... just wondering if anyone has ever seen this adapter/splitter, knows if it exists, or knows where to get it?

Thanks!

You'll need a manual A/B switch.  It's a serial printer, and most/all of the serial A/B switches you'll find will be DB25 or DB9 (PC-style) serial connectors.  The IIgs (not sure about the IIc) actually has RS-422 serial ports, but they'll probably be running in regular RS-232 mode when talking to the printer.  So you'll need 3 Mac-style RS422-to-DB9 (or whatever your AB switch has) cables.  Or you can get a couple of Mac-style printer cables, cut them in half, probe them out with a continuity tester, and solder on DB9 shells, if you want to save some money.

Alternately, *if* the IIe serial card will do localtalk networking (ie it's also actually an RS-422 port, and the software you want to print from can print over localtalk), you could permanently attach your printer to your IIgs, then set up a localtalk network between your IIe and the IIgs's other serial port (using a couple of phonenet adapters and terminators), then share the printer on the IIgs.  I do this with a IIgs and a Mac IIci, but I have no idea if the old Super Serial card that you probably have in your IIe will do localtalk, or how software that expects to just stream data through PR#1 would deal with it if it does.

Edited by Lee Adamson
Localtalk option.