IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

16 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Pac-Man Collection on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1912872678_20221025-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.055d257504e9553665e29528b453699a.jpg

It would be cool if you both played the two-player variation of PMC40th where your opponent controls Blinky (chase mode only) :D

I've never been able to play that variation, nor able to watch anyone else do it.

"Special Two-Player Mode: In two-player games, setting the right difficulty switch to the right causes the opposite player to control Blinky when he is in Chase Mode (i.e. not blue, or when the monsters are heading to their respective corners). Setting the switch to the left or not touching the joystick defaults Blinky to be controlled by the computer."

• Like 5

O. M. G. @ZeroPage Homebrew

James / Tanya...  You actually DID find an issue with the 'Opposite player controls Blinky' option!

I allow the player to control Blinky by making the joystick alter his 'target tile' to a space in front of him, in the direction that they joystick is pushed.

Under certain circumstances/maze intersections, the right/down + 1 tile isn't enough to make him change course.  I had to change it to + 3 in order for all directions to always work. :mad:

This is odd; as I know this worked without issue in the 2006 version of PMC.

Here are the updated binaries, normal and 'short maze' versions.

Please note however:

- Blinky doesn't stop.  If you're about to hit a wall and you haven't chosen a direction (other than straight into the wall), a direction will be chosen for you.

- You cannot reverse direction, just as the other monsters cannot reverse direction (except of course at specific intervals where they all reverse direction at once)

- You need to 'lead' Blinky by turning the direction slightly before the intersection.  Like you would as Pac-Man when you want him to take a turn quickly.

- You will need to 'hold' the joystick in a direction to keep Blinky moving in that direction.

- In Pac-Man games, when the monsters are in 'Scatter' mode (i.e. going back to their corners) or 'Scared' mode (i.e. blue) you cannot control Blinky.

- In Ms. Pac-Man games, the same rule applies.  But 'Scatter' mode is only active at the very beginning of each level until the first 'reversal' (approx. 7 seconds at first, down to 5 seconds in the later levels).  The only difference between Pac-Man scatter mode and Ms. Pac-Man scatter mode is that Blinky and Pinky move randomly.  Inky and Clyde/Sue still go to their corners.

Thank you,

Bob

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN PMC_XM_S.A78 PMC_XM_S.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

O. M. G. @ZeroPage Homebrew

James / Tanya...  You actually DID find an issue with the 'Opposite player controls Blinky' option!

Oh wow, so it wasn't due to our incompetence with the controls or difficulty switches! Always glad to help out! 🙂

- James

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh wow, so it wasn't due to our incompetence with the controls or difficulty switches! Always glad to help out! 🙂

- James

I'm sorry; I didn't mean for it to sound like that.

I know people generally don't know about that feature, and to make it so the player controlling Blinky doesn't have an unfair advantage, I made the rules still abide by the 'monster AI' for the game.  That makes it a little difficult to control.

Thank you for bringing it out! :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm sorry; I didn't mean for it to sound like that.

Oh, don't worry it definitely didn't! 🙂  My go to is assuming we're doing something wrong first. It's usually a good assumption, hahah.

5 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I know people generally don't know about that feature, and to make it so the player controlling Blinky doesn't have an unfair advantage, I made the rules still abide by the 'monster AI' for the game.  That makes it a little difficult to control.

Thank you for bringing it out! :)

You're so welcome! Any help we can provide to the community/developers through the show is an incredible bonus while we enjoy all the amazing games!

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, PacManPlus said:

Bob

Perhaps what this super-collection lacks, is an easter-egg mode of that sort to end

all-easter other easter-eggs…

Just a suggestion:

Find and open/unlock the cheat and everything in the game that’re ghosts and pac-man/miss/jr etc turns into small figures of the crew of the Nostromo…chased by aliens… definitly in need of all futuritic dots spread around the ships corridors, all the… uhm, collctible things, necessary items to blow the Ship skyhigh…

Perhaps the score should eerily max at 260026002600 in this EasterEgg mode…

- - -

And anyway, if you didnt get scared yesterday (since you gotta a life etc ),

so think I’ll have put in one single word get it out:

‘Booo’…!

So, now that you’re utterly shocked, carry on, carry on; make the best ever 7800 cart!!

Edited by Giles N
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.767033436069e0749e1830dcb3426aff.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Starovox (2600) - Rayman C.
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 5

@ZeroPage Homebrew - Thank you both for having me on, its always a pleasure speaking to you. :) 

@tep392 - Perry, I'm so sorry I blanked out on your name regarding the Yamaha sound...  I was very nervous and when that happens my mind goes blank. :( 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew - Thank you both for having me on, its always a pleasure speaking to you. :) 

@tep392 - Perry, I'm so sorry I blanked out on your name regarding the Yamaha sound...  I was very nervous and when that happens my mind goes blank. :( 

No worries. :)  I missed the live event, but will try to check it out later.

• Like 4

On 11/13/2022 at 6:09 AM, PacManPlus said:

Thank you again so much for coming on the stream Bob, the pleasure it all ours! Your games are always masterpieces and thank you for continuing to do what you do!

- James

• Like 5

Hmmm....

@ZeroPage Homebrew asked me if I did all of the games in the Pac-Man family that I wanted to do, and I basically said "yes"...  but it seems I forgot one:

If I can somehow get my hands on one of those machines... :ponder:

This has a closeup of it.  I like the added features (non-symmetrical maze, Red Bull can, etc...)

:D

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hmmm....

@ZeroPage Homebrew asked me if I did all of the games in the Pac-Man family that I wanted to do, and I basically said "yes"...  but it seems I forgot one:

If I can somehow get my hands on one of those machines... :ponder:

This has a closeup of it.  I like the added features (non-symmetrical maze, Red Bull can, etc...)

:D

Somehow I've always needed this in my life and never knew until today. And I don't even like Red Bull...

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

More/Other pics: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=380275&page=2&view=expanded&sb=4&o=&vc=1

After 'drinking' the Red Bull, Pac-Man gets temporary electric energy powers to zap/fry the ghosts...

:ponder:

That does kind of relate to that odd-ball Pac-Man & Chomp Chomp / Pac & Pal game with the similar blasting power-up. :P

• Like 4

Hmmmm.....

image.png.5559d520a44fcf3949938110d1b35b33.png

image.png.6dafb57df380ea66b8f929e19be0f7b1.png

Before you guys kill me, I just wanted to see what it looked like, and it didn't take me long.  Actually, the longest part was making the monster pen (and everything it entails) able to be relocated via a variable.  Normally it's hard coded.

:) 

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so... this is a thing now...

0009.png.bba397f32cc89e6f1c0856bc731aa972.png0008.png.b8f96f87a199f812d782cbecaa32e6ea.png0007.png.a1d1e0a99e2f2de5dbf03a9c55653ad5.png0006.png.4afc41c8ff0170ecdd641e4b67e84be0.png0005.png.c2e4d8dcad2b18b99182c41dd1f68ff0.png0004.png.3b6ccdd15d91284dbb2197fe43ef4ac8.png0003.png.c900ca43621b38b8beb3b0a74eae0552.png0002.png.48dc6380c246b3bdf1cd0ab9bec7b6c5.png0001.png.b231b6605028b505b8189721741e8307.png0000.png.d0dd2b53fe33dd7992664e7fc3444699.png0010.png0011.png

0012.png0013.png0014.png0015.png

0016.png0017.png0018.png0019.png

0020.png0021.png0022.png0023.png

0024.png0025.png0026.png0027.png

0028.png0030.png0031.png0032.png

0033.png

(Those are all the Red Bull mazes...  except for a few that were *slight* variations of the 'monster' shape, but the colors of the four monsters, and only one or two maze pieces different.)

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1