IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

16 hours ago, nadir said:

Grabbed the latest download and despite me being terrible at Pac-Man, this really is amazing...  TIA version is great, but the YM is perfect.  I'd be willing to pay extra for whatever I'll need to run a hardware YM version!

Get a Dragonfly cart which has the option for a YM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gandor said:

Get a Dragonfly cart which has the option for a YM

While that is an option to play on actual hardware with Yamaha sound, it is an expensive one. Best to wait and see if @rj1307 develops a separate cart passthrough like device to handle that in the future as was discussed or the possibility of PCBs being developed to use the YM module on them similar to Pokey games.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While that is an option to play on actual hardware with Yamaha sound, it is an expensive one. Best to wait and see if @rj1307 develops a separate cart passthrough like device to handle that in the future as was discussed or the possibility of PCBs being developed to use the YM module on them similar to Pokey games.

Interesting!  Where did @rj1307 suggest he might do this?

11 minutes ago, tep392 said:

Interesting!  Where did @rj1307 suggest he might do this?

I've been searching for it, but I thought it was in this very thread, but I know I read it in one of @rj1307's replies asking about it. He stated something to the effect that creating a passthrough cart or having the module added to a cart separately should be possible and he could look into it?

Still searching for it....

Found it. It starts with @DrVenkman suggesting the ability to create carts to add the YM module too for when the game releases, and then @rj1307 states he discussed this but it would have to wait until the detection routines are sorted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I've been searching for it, but I thought it was in this very thread, but I know I read it in one of @rj1307's replies asking about it. He stated something to the effect that creating a passthrough cart or having the module added to a cart separately should be possible and he could look into it?

Still searching for it....

See my reply, immediately above. :)

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

See my reply, immediately above. :)

LOL I was in the middle of the search and reading the posts when you posted that. I was then notified of your reply just above this after I submitted LOL!

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, rj1307 said:

Can you detect YM with IRQ? All you need to do is set the appropriate register in YM and check if an interrupt occurred. 

My idea is to set one of the timers, which set flags when they roll over.  Then poll the flag until it changes and make sure it changes at the right time.

I confirm it, soon I will develop an adapter with the YM2151 module, it will work with any cartridge (homebrew, Concerto, CC2, Mateos).
There will probably be two versions, one in the "old" through-hole technology, matching the case from the original game, the other version in SMD technology, a smaller one, matching the case from 3D printing. Both versions will have identical functionality. I will publish the documentation of both versions on the forum, anyone who will be able to make the same adapter. For those who cannot, I will have ready-made SMD versions for sale. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

On 3/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, rj1307 said:

I confirm it, soon I will develop an adapter with the YM2151 module, it will work with any cartridge (homebrew, Concerto, CC2, Mateos).

[...]

This is a very cool development, which makes the future of YM2151 usage in games a lot brighter. Thank-you!

7 hours ago, tep392 said:

No, but I did make some notes this week on how to do it.  I'll definitely have time to try it out tonight.

Thanks Perry! I'd love to try out whatever you come up with in A7800 and the in-progress 7800 MiSTer core. I suspect the former will need some rework before the detection works.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RevEng said:

This is a very cool development, which makes the future of YM2151 usage in games a lot brighter. Thank-you!

Thanks Perry! I'd love to try out whatever you come up with in A7800 and the in-progress 7800 MiSTer core. I suspect the former will need some rework before the detection works.

I think I got it.  I sent you and Bob a PM.

• Like 3

Hi guys!

Ok, thanks to @tep392 and @RevEng, I have used their detection code and made one version of PMC-40th.  It detects the Yamaha in A7800, the XM, and the Dragonfly, but correctly does not in ProSystem and the CCII (no Yamaha) - it defaults to TIA.

However, during the detection routine just before the initial main screen, there are 1-2 frames of garbage that I can't seem to get rid of, even by turning off the screen. 

It bugs me, but between having two versions of the cart and having a quick glitch just before the first time the title screen comes up, I'll take the latter.

Last (Hopefully) version.

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Ok, thanks to @tep392 and @RevEng, I have used their detection code and made one version of PMC-40th.  It detects the Yamaha in A7800, the XM, and the Dragonfly, but correctly does not in ProSystem and the CCII (no Yamaha) - it defaults to TIA.

Also, can confirm it plays beautifully with TIA sound on the Concerto :)

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

However, during the detection routine just before the initial main screen, there are 1-2 frames of garbage that I can't seem to get rid of, even by turning off the screen.

It bugs me, but between having two versions of the cart and having a quick glitch just before the first time the title screen comes up, I'll take the latter.

Think of it more like the Arcade machine powering up with the initial ROM checks it runs before booting to title, but blazingly faster.  It is extremely quick and quite honestly, if it wasn't mentioned, not sure anyone would have been the wiser. 

Don't give it a second thought, Bob.  ;) 

Looking forward to purchasing this one on cart!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I have been playing this incredible hack lately and I noticed a freeze when playing Pac-Man Plus in this collection on the dragonfly. So far, I have only encountered this in Pac-Man Plus. I'll test on Mister and emu to see if I can repeat it.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, rj1307 said:

There will probably be two versions, one in the "old" through-hole technology, matching the case from the original game, the other version in SMD technology, a smaller one, matching the case from 3D printing. Both versions will have identical functionality. I will publish the documentation of both versions on the forum, anyone who will be able to make the same adapter. For those who cannot, I will have ready-made SMD versions for sale. 

count me in for one of each ?

• Like 1

Good Morning:

6 hours ago, BrianC said:

Hi. I have been playing this incredible hack lately and I noticed a freeze when playing Pac-Man Plus in this collection on the dragonfly. So far, I have only encountered this in Pac-Man Plus. I'll test on Mister and emu to see if I can repeat it.

4 hours ago, BrianC said:

Had it freeze in Ms. Pac-Man too. My PSU got hot with the Dragonfly, so that might be the issue. No lockups in mister.

Thank you so much for the compliments! (Although it isn't a hack, it's a homebrew ;) )

Can you tell me at what point the crash happened?  Was it during normal gameplay, or after clearing a board, or after dying, or ?

Thank you,

Bob