IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

I am a notoriously-terrible Pac-player and my personal games never last longer than a few minutes. However, I've left the game up and running (idle) on my 7800 Dragonfly Cart for a couple hours at a time without running into any issue. 

7 hours ago, BrianC said:

It was after I kept the cart in the 7800 for awhile. Last time I played, I had no issues. I might look into a 2A power supply, if it happens again. Mine is the one linked from Amazon 9V 1.5A.

I don't think the power is the issue here. A stock 7800 on average only needs about 680 - 720mA of current to operate. The DF only requires at most 300mA according to Rafal. So 1.5A of total output is more than enough to drive everything stable. However, if you wanted to be sure of this, then instead of a different power adapter, you could try replacing out the voltage regulator in the 7800 side with a beefier 2A output variant. Granted the power adapter will NEVER provide it with a full 2A, but at least then you know that the 7800 is getting at least as much as it needs to operate. In fact for the cheap cost of the VRs, I just install 2A output variants into most of my consoles anyway to be sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

So *nobody* else has had this happen...?

Bob I have to admit I haven't had any real time lately to even play any games for about the past week. So I personally haven't been able to invest a ton of time into Pac 40th yet. It would be helpful to really know which game and modes were selected when the lock ups occured so that we all know what to try to make it happen. Just saying it locked up without more specifics will take us quite a bit of time to suss out since there are SO many variantions we are dealing with in regards to this specific game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I guess I should let it sit in the dragonfly to be absolutely sure.

Well, I've let the game sit running idle on my Dragonfly for a couple hours without issue. In fact, I'll do a test tonight. I'll start it now and let it run for at least 4 hours and see how it goes. :) 

I don't have to time to test, but letting the game run in attract mode may not lead to a crash.  Had something similar happen with Popeye via Dragonfly cart (during initial testing) but it happened when we played through the game.

ok. I 'll check to see. Thanks for the info about the power supply. Could be my 7800 being finicky. It plays robot tank, but has a buzzing sound in the background that is worse when I set it to channel 3. I just chalked that up to RF, though.

I played Ms Pac-Plus yesterday, up to the pancakes. No issues.

I also reset at random places, and I reset consecutively.

This was running for about 8 hours in my Dragonfly today.

I played a few games. It was in attract mode for a long time.

I tried random resets, played a few games, and I cycled the options.

I haven't had any issues since.

• Like 1

After work, I played a quick game of HanglyMan Plus Fast.

I don't remember what number pancake it was. It was after the energizers stop working, but they come back for one board.

It was one or two boards after that. 

Not bad for a worn 7800 stock controller.

...oh yeah. No issues still.

image.thumb.png.4d3d952cb32756b58f4b1fff8b695a39.png

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I am the guy with a "new" Atari 7800 PAL and the Matheo 16in1-flashcard with Pokey. I love Pac Man collection 40th anniversary. Ms Pac Man is nearly perfect IMHO, but Pac Man has strange colors in PAL. The dots are pink instead of white, Pac Man ist greenish-yellow instead of yellow. Maybe the Pac Man color was chosen because of the lack of possible colors (it's the same as one of the ghosts) but I have no explanation for the pink dots. Is this also a shared color with one of the ghosts? Any comments from other PAL gamers? What happens here?

Another small issue: While the title music of Ms Pac Man is near perfect, the title music of Pac Man sounds out of tune due to the crappy TIA. A pokey version seems not to be available anywere, right? Would be great to have one.

Anyway: A GREAT Pac Man collection that shows what's possible on a 7800 if you are not Atari in the late 80s.

Thanks you.....

Bern

26 minutes ago, biobern said:

Another small issue: While the title music of Ms Pac Man is near perfect, the title music of Pac Man sounds out of tune due to the crappy TIA. A pokey version seems not to be available anywere, right? Would be great to have one.

Correct this game is TIA or FM (Yamaha YM2151) only. Still, it is some of the best TIA I've heard from the 7800.

• Like 6

Thanks, guys!

28 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Correct this game is TIA or FM (Yamaha YM2151) only. Still, it is some of the best TIA I've heard from the 7800.

Thank you - I'm very proud of the TIA audio this time. :)   The 'out-of-tune' might be because of PAL being slower (50 frames instead of 60).

Regarding the colors: In the arcade, the dots actually aren't white.  They are a light peach (sort of). You can compare them with the score letters (which *are* white):

image.png.6ded39d32e918103cf5666255f202204.png

So, being that I have a limitation of two palettes, each with two usable colors (and each with one semi-usable color which in this case is white) I shared pink with the dots and pinky (and some aspects of the fruit).  Inky shares the color of the maze, Pac-Man shares the color with Clyde (or Sue) and the fruit shares colors with everything.

I hope this helps :)

• Like 10

Bob, your TIA audio is absolutely spectacular!! Out of curiosity, just try to compare it to the work done on the NES with five sound channels (!)...

NES Pac-Man

NES Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen)

7800 (spectacular) TIA Sound - WIP #3

7800 Yamaha Sound - * Thanks a lot to tep392 

And as for the colors, it's still a great job. Again, it has pretty balanced colors and you can clearly distinguish the role of each ghost. Instead, I can't say the same about the Tengen version of Ms. Pac-Man on NES, where it's easy to get confused between Blinky and Sue (and "fatty" Blinky and Sue I might add).

375738579_7800Pac-ManCollection-40thAnniversaryEditionvsNES.thumb.PNG.c1d53e7801b68aed4581781a52bd388c.PNG

And more... professional quality, accurate gameplay, all the many game options and the avalanche of mazes available... there is no comparison to make, this is the definitive Pac-Man Collection.

Bob, thank you very much for this unbelievable astonishing work !! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you look at some of the prior pages, I actually tried that, but ended up having too many issues.  I opted for original aspect ratio + scrolling, instead of squishing it down and affecting the timing, running out of cycles, etc.

I *really* wanted to do what opcode did and just scale everything down (including the speed, etc.) but you can't move horizontally 1 pixel in 320 mode.  And the thought of having two sets of graphics for everything just to offset by one pixel made me ill. ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1