IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

Nice work so far!

On 3/24/2020 at 6:52 AM, PacManPlus said:

I just wish there were more colors in this mode.  I *believe* Rikki and Vikki used 320B mode and overlapped sprites to get their colors...  but there aren't many sprites in a single zone there... the enemies seem to be vertically separated.

It does - the players are two overlapped 32x32 draws and the enemies are usually distributed in order to reduce the bandwidth requirements. While there's only 2 - 3 of them onscreen, they're also very wide and the game allows the player to mess with the stage geometry.

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

...It started out as a way to have the maximum amount of the board on the screen as possible at any given moment, and turned into a necessity as I am at the end of Maria cycles as it is now (over 400) with the character mode being just as wide as the maze,and up to 7 sprites possible on a line (the level / life indicators are a sprite).  Also, I originally had the level indicator going up the right side of the maze, but when I did that there was some 'disappearing' going on because I maxed out Maria. :(

Do you have the resources available to unroll the maze and ditch character mode? Most of it is static.

I'm not super familiar with the XM, but going by what's here... you could pre-render the whole maze as a huge texture in the XM's RAM and just split it on the color transitions between the dots and outline. Then whenever the player eats the dots just clear them out.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TailChao said:

Nice work so far!

It does - the players are two overlapped 32x32 draws and the enemies are usually distributed in order to reduce the bandwidth requirements. While there's only 2 - 3 of them onscreen, they're also very wide and the game allows the player to mess with the stage geometry.

Do you have the resources available to unroll the maze and ditch character mode? Most of it is static.

I'm not super familiar with the XM, but going by what's here... you could pre-render the whole maze as a huge texture in the XM's RAM and just split it on the color transitions between the dots and outline. Then whenever the player eats the dots just clear them out.

I've taken a similar approach with the new graphics engine I wrote for my new Donkey Kong project, but the fonts still reside in ROM. It's only 160 mode, but there are tons of objects on the screen and I'm trying to minimize Maria time so I can maximize available CPU time.  I'm not using character mapped mode at all.  Everything is a sprite.  I have one long girder in ROM and draw it with varying lengths, up to 32 bytes wide.  I can cover the width of the screen with just two sprites.  This minimizes Maria overhead.  With the screen having so much blank space, it also minimized time wasted drawing blank pixels.  I think your idea for using XM RAM would be a great solution for Pac-man.  The only downside is that it would be "XM Required" and Bob's intent was to make this "XM Enhanced".

• Like 3

Thanks guys, again as always.

If I weren't about 80% done, I would consider doing this (as I had just gone over that approach with @RevEng the other day).  The only things:

- As @tep392 stated, it would change the game to "XM Required", which I would rather not do unless it's absolutely necessary; I don't want to limit who can play this game...  Most likely 'Defender' will be "XM Required" because of the blitting.

- It still wouldn't resolve the fact that I want to keep as much screen real estate for the maze itself, scrolling as little as possible.  One of the things about this game is that you needs to see where the monsters are at all times.

- Finally (and this is a personal preference), I don't really like vertical score displays (my apologies, Trebor).

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 2:49 PM, PacManPlus said:

If I weren't about 80% done, I would consider doing this (as I had just gone over that approach with @RevEng the other day).  The only things:

- As @tep392 stated, it would change the game to "XM Required", which I would rather not do unless it's absolutely necessary; I don't want to limit who can play this game...  Most likely 'Defender' will be "XM Required" because of the blitting.

As always Bob, you are the best. And I say that as somebody that WILL get an XM as soon as I can.

Thanks, guys - you are all so awesome.  The good people like you are what keeps me coming back here.  Even when I'm gone for a while.

Wow.  All this time I've played Pac-Man and made conversions, I never paid attention to the number of different speed sirens, and always assumed there were 4.  There are actually 5.

So, I'm doing TIA sounds now.  Recording the arcade and slowing them down. I'm determined to get them all as close as possible.  For the Blue sound, now that I know that it's possible to get pretty much the exact sound 
(thanks to DINTAR816's 2600 port).  I actually slowed down the arcade, DINTAR816's port, and mine and put them side by side until I got them all the same.

I got the Pac-Man 'monster eat' sound extremely close, and the Eyes going back to pen is very close too.  The fruit eat sound is almost identical when put side by side.

These are all the Pac-Man sounds first.  I'll attack Ms. Pac next; although I already got her death sound MUCH closer to the arcade than it was.

This is what I have left after I finish these sounds:

- Adjust scatter / exit pen times to try and get as close to the arcade as possible

- Intermissions

- Popeye Pac

- Largest Pac

- Random Maze Generator conversion.

When this is done I'm immediately moving on to my next project to keep my output going.  When I stop, I seem to stop for a long time, and I don't want to do that here.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Wow.  All this time I've played Pac-Man and made conversions, I never paid attention to the number of different speed sirens, and always assumed there were 4.  There are actually 5.

One of the most dumbfounded and awesome things to happen to me when playing a game, particularly a favorite, or one that I played so many times I've lost count; discovering something you never realized or encountered before - very cool.

Just in time for this fantastic port too.  As always, thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bizarrostormy said:

Looks great!

Aside from Yamaha sound, how is this different from the already-released Pac-Man Collection?

"..already released Pac-Man Collection"...

"...this"...

Spot the differences; it's much more fun that way.

• Like 9

Thank you so much guys... You are all so nice to me...  It is always appreciated.

@bizarrostormy Basically, the differences are:

- Higher resolution, better graphics (graphics taken directly from the arcade)

- As stated Yamaha Audio for XM people

- MUCH better TIA sound for non-XM people

- Localized high score (until you turn the machine off) for non-XM people

- Inclusion of an actual random maze generator, so the maze possibilities are endless

- Inclusion of 'Worlds Largest Pac-Man'*

- Inclusion of the Popeye Pac-Man bootleg

*I reserve the right to remove this one if it becomes too difficult.

So, in working on the sounds, I figured out how to look at the wave forms and compare the sounds from the TIA to that.  As a result, I can't believe how close I got to the arcade with some of these sounds.  With basic TIA!

I did notice that GCC moved the Ms. Pac-Man theme from the key of 'E' to the key of 'C' for the TIA.  I understand why: there are many notes in that original key that the TIA can't do.  So I'm leaving it in the key of 'C'.  I moved the Pac-Man theme back to the key of 'C' (like the arcade), but the modulation in the second bar to 'C#' left some notes... shall we say... close...

Anyway, here is the latest WIP...  with better sounds!

*Also notice that the 'pass through' bug actually happens twice in this video (once in the game demo) 

@AtariBrian - Yes, I hope to have all new artwork for this label

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Dunno if it's desirable or even a doable thing but having the ending found in the Sega Genesis version after completing level 32 has always been something I'd love to see in an Atari version of Ms. Pacman (or any version of Pacman)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you so much guys... You are all so nice to me...  It is always appreciated.

- Inclusion of an actual random maze generator, so the maze possibilities are endless

So, in working on the sounds, I figured out how to look at the wave forms and compare the sounds from the TIA to that.  As a result, I can't believe how close I got to the arcade with some of these sounds.  With basic TIA!

I did notice that GCC moved the Ms. Pac-Man theme from the key of 'E' to the key of 'C' for the TIA.  I understand why: there are many notes in that original key that the TIA can't do.  So I'm leaving it in the key of 'C'.  I moved the Pac-Man theme back to the key of 'C' (like the arcade), but the modulation in the second bar to 'C#' left some notes... shall we say... close...

Anyway, here is the latest WIP...  with better sounds!

*Also notice that the 'pass through' bug actually happens twice in this video (once in the game demo) 

@AtariBrian - Yes, I hope to have all new artwork for this label

I love love LOVE this!!!  Can’t wait to hear the updated intermissions 

don’t forget the little bump sound! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

;	DATA FOR INTERMISSIONS DURING ATTRACT MODE (I.E. NOT IN-GAME INTERMISSIONS)

;	INTERMISSION 0 - ORIGINAL PAC-MAN 1ST INTERMISSION BUT WITH PAC & MS. PAC RETURNING AFTER ENERGIZER
	;	INTERMISSION 1 - ORIGINAL MS. PAC-MAN 2ND INTERMISSION "THE CHASE"
	;	INTERMISSION 2 - BLINKY ARRIVING 1/2 WAY ACROSS THE SCREEN, FINDS NOBODY, THEN LEAVES (THEN PAC-MAN BRIEFLY SHOWS)
	;	INTERMISSION 3 - POPEYE PAC-MAN IS SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN.  PAC-MAN COMES IN, SEES HIM AND THINKS 'WTF?'
	;	INTERMISSION 4 - PAC-MAN FACES ENERGIZER, BLINKY TRIES TO SNEAK UP ON HIM, PAC QUICKLY TURNS AROUND AND BLINKY STOPS (LOOKS OPPOSITE DIRECTION)...
	;	INTERMISSION 5 - INTRODUCE ONE OF THE FOUR MONSTERS (RANDOMLY)
	;	INTERMISSION 6 - INTRODUCE PAC-MAN AND MS. PAC-MAN
	;	INTERMISSION 7 - SCARED MONSTER MOVING THROUGH, MS. PAC APPEARS, MONSTER SHUDDERS AND TURNS BACK.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 5

On 4/3/2020 at 9:58 PM, Trebor said:

Spot the differences; it's much more fun that way.

LOL, I found a few. ;)

On 4/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, PacManPlus said:

Thanks! As others have said, that is stunning sound for TIA. Transposing to a key it can do is definitely the right decision to me.

• Like 1