IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:19 PM, Albert said:

Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition is now available in the AtariAge Store!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1286

7800_PacMan40th_Render_Boxes.jpg

Thanks @Albert

This is an interesting one… definitly…

Is the AA-shop version coming with pokey/hokey sound, or usual sound…?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hastor said:

The TIA is perfectly good indeed. I'd just like to know if there is a way to use Yamaha, or if the code is just in the cart and can't get out lol 

I assume it could be done by integrating a Yamaha chip in the cart in a similar fashion to a POKEY or HOKEY, but I'm not a hardware guy, so someone else will need to answer that. 

..Al

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

These versions do not use Pokey - They use (improved) TIA sound, or Yamaha sound if the cartridge detects it.

I watched the video Albert posted and holy crap that audio is fantastic for TIA!  Amazing work on this cart!  Saving my pennies once Christmas shopping is paid off. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hastor said:

The TIA is perfectly good indeed. I'd just like to know if there is a way to use Yamaha, or if the code is just in the cart and can't get out lol 

Rafal of DF cart fame talked about creating a pass-through cart before. I'm not sure if this is still planned or not.

• Like 4

Am I correct that the version on the cart hasn't been released digitally in full? If so I could play on my DF. I ordered a cart and want one, but always like to check out all the options a game offers. I've been following the thread but wasn't sure if any rom posted here matched up to the released version, or if it's cart-only for now!

• Like 1

Yes, the same ROM has been released: 

Regarding the Yamaha sound, The cartridge auto-detects it.  There's a way to play it on the dragonfly (the ones that have the YM in it)... I forget off-hand if something needs to be done differently, but if a board is made that has the YM in it at it's default address, it will work.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, Albert said:

The TIA audio in Pac-Man 40th is quite good!

Exceptional, even :D

There's also a small but significant twist in gameplay that adds a really nifty dimension to the game: when playing any of the 'Plus' games and the maze disappears, the vertical scrolling makes figuring out where you are in the maze much more challenging.  I find that I can usually get around a blacked-out maze by memory when it's on a single screen - but add the scrolling in and things are ratcheted up a notch or two.  It's a nice side effect of how the mazes were implemented, and a fun one at that.

• Like 3

@rj1307 did mention he can still design and develop a passthrough cart with YM ability. Just have to reach out to him and let him know so he knows there is interest in it. I would think that for this game and 1942 it would be something to look into.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

@rj1307 did mention he can still design and develop a passthrough cart with YM ability. Just have to reach out to him and let him know so he knows there is interest in it. I would think that for this game and 1942 it would be something to look into.

I’m interested in the pass through cart too!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello all:

@batari and @Albert had alerted me to the fact that the PMC_40 bins crash on some 128K boards.  @RevEng and @tep392 were kind enough to provide us with an update to the Yamaha detection code (which is what was causing the issue).  I have implemented that and have included them here.

People still using 'ProSystem', (aside from being asked 'Why?') don't need this update as ProSystem still crashes with this Yamaha detection code as well.

These have been tested on A7800 and the real thing, both with and without a Yamaha chip (via the XM).

PLEASE NOTE: I have also provided the 'Energy Drink' version of PacMan here for completeness.  That version only uses TIA sound and therefore did not need an update:

PMC_XM     = Standard PMC 40th Anniversary

PMC_XM_S = PMC 40th Anniversary, Short Maze version

PM_ED       = Pac-Man Energy Drink edition

If anyone with other multi-carts (i.e. the Dragonfly) or MiST emulators can give these a try and let us know if there are any issues (both of these of mine are put away at the moment).

Thanks all!

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN PMC_XM_S.A78 PMC_XM_S.BIN PM_ED.A78 PM_ED.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

If anyone with other multi-carts (i.e. the Dragonfly) or MiST emulators can give these a try and let us know if there are any issues (both of these of mine are put away at the moment).

Thanks all!

All three titles work perfectly under MiSTer.

Yamaha sound present for PMC 40th Anniversary Standard and Short editions. 

Pac-Man Energy Drink Edition plays perfectly with TIA present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:26 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I’m interested in the pass through cart too!

Agreed.  A passthru would work well for that CC2 cart I'm still repping...  ;-)
That said, I agree that the TIA audio is mind bogglingly good...  Had me thinking, "um.. is that actually a Pokey version and PMP just forgot he did that???"...  ;-) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another data point (which I realized wasn't specifically asked for!).  All three of the latest PMx builds work fine on my A7800DS emulator for the Nintendo DS. Although it's based on ProSystem it's advanced to a more modern level and properly handles the Yamaha vs TIA detection algorithm. 

• Like 3