IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

On 3/22/2023 at 7:04 AM, PacManPlus said:

Hello all:

@batari and @Albert had alerted me to the fact that the PMC_40 bins crash on some 128K boards.  @RevEng and @tep392 were kind enough to provide us with an update to the Yamaha detection code (which is what was causing the issue).  I have implemented that and have included them here.

People still using 'ProSystem', (aside from being asked 'Why?') don't need this update as ProSystem still crashes with this Yamaha detection code as well.

These have been tested on A7800 and the real thing, both with and without a Yamaha chip (via the XM).

PLEASE NOTE: I have also provided the 'Energy Drink' version of PacMan here for completeness.  That version only uses TIA sound and therefore did not need an update:

PMC_XM     = Standard PMC 40th Anniversary

PMC_XM_S = PMC 40th Anniversary, Short Maze version

PM_ED       = Pac-Man Energy Drink edition

If anyone with other multi-carts (i.e. the Dragonfly) or MiST emulators can give these a try and let us know if there are any issues (both of these of mine are put away at the moment).

Thanks all!

PMC_XM.A78 128.13 kB · 25 downloads PMC_XM.BIN 128 kB · 13 downloads PMC_XM_S.A78 128.13 kB · 24 downloads PMC_XM_S.BIN 128 kB · 13 downloads PM_ED.A78 48.13 kB · 25 downloads PM_ED.BIN 48 kB · 12 downloads

Tested the .A78 versions on my DragonFly and they all worked well. Played a couple games of each. -Thanks Bob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got a couple crashes not long after starting in both the regular and small XM versions of PMC40, but I found out my power supply wasn't seated all the way and didn't have the issue after reseating it and playing a few games in PMC_XM and PMC_XM_S. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve now tested all three ROMs on both of my DragonFly carts and have not experienced any crashes. My older son stopped by and we’ve spent the last couple of hours playing the games.

The software version of both DF carts is 1.08. 

D961902C-CCFA-4F39-84F2-F1147C03AE40.jpeg

2085F3F5-4719-4D60-913E-9013EE7E2365.jpeg

CE77E922-DD5B-4EAA-916B-724E8669AEC6.jpeg

1F5EC559-C06A-46A4-838A-461DDB8A7858.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:00 AM, BrianC said:

I'm on 1.07 firmware. I need to get a RGB blaster to update further. 

An update is highly advised. :)

Version 1.08:

Changes:
- changing the method of controlling SRAM memory, which should eliminate the problem with freezing of some games

- adding POKEY support at $800 and DualPokey at $810 (write only, RANDOM will not work). Dragonfly will automatically recognize whether DualPokey is to address at $440 or $810
- adding RAM banking - 2x16kB, to switch the bank, write 0 (lower bank) or 1 (upper bank) to the address $FFFF
- minor changes to the AVR program

Version 1.09:

Changes:

- added BANKSET 2x128k+RAM+POKEY banking scheme used in "Attack of the PETSCII Robots".

Version 1.09 fix:

Fixed graphics bugs on NTSC consoles.

*EDIT: For posterity, another fix was posted since yesterday...

Version 1.09 fix 2:

Fixes a bug in the latest patch of AVR that may cause Bankset to malfunction.

• Like 2

Don't even need to use the original 1.09 release as the fixed version supercedes it at this point.

I've actually got video done on the process to update the DF using the Quartus II software. Or at least how it works on Win10 and prior. I was able to do it on my Win11 computer but it required having to force install the USB drivers for the blaster since Win11 doesn't allow it normally and there doesn't appear to be any planned support for it officially through Win11. So I advise only using windows 10 or earlier machines for this.

• Like 3

Thank you very much! I bought a usb blaster from amazon and a set of gold plated breakaway pins and updated the dragonfly to 1.09 (latest fixed version). Somehow managed to get it working despite recently updating to windows 11. Played three games of Pac-Man XM S with no issues. 

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2023 at 9:09 PM, BrianC said:

I had to manually select the directory the drivers were in to get the blaster working. 

Even that method failed on my win11 machine. I ended up right clicking on the .inf file for driver and installing it that way to get it working. But, I actually use a Win10 laptop in my lab so it isn't likely to be needed on my win11 machine much.

• 1 month later...

I just got the 40th Anniversary Edition from the AA Store. The manual sez "If you are playing this game with the optional Yamaha sound chip..." But there's no option in the store for the Yamaha version. Is there a reasonable way to pop open the cart and add one? (I can pop it out of my Dragonfly cart...)

I don't believe so.  Initially that was meant for the XM (which has the Yamaha built-in so the cart would detect it), but I don't think the boards used have a space for it.

IIRC, someone here was thinking of creating a pass-through cart with the Yamaha on it?  Or at least the socket for one?

I think this is currently the only way to get Yamaha sound using the Cartridge.  The other option is running the A78 file on a Dragonfly or the upcoming 7800GD. I'm still hoping someone will develop a passthrough device someday.

XM_PMC40.thumb.jpeg.a3db6582ab9b6d1245b9e6971138e076.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I don't believe so.  Initially that was meant for the XM (which has the Yamaha built-in so the cart would detect it), but I don't think the boards used have a space for it.

This is correct, this option was intended for use with the 7800 XM module, which, unfortunately, I don't really expect will ever be produced at this point (although I'd love to be proven wrong).  The cartridge circuit board itself does not have any way to add the Yamaha chip, so that's a dead end.

..Al

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I'm still hoping someone will develop a passthrough device someday

I think @rj1307 had talked about it at some point maybe a year ago (?) back in the guts of the Dragonfly thread - he’s certainly capable of doing it. :) 

That said, if/when the Store lets us buy full-game licensed roms, I’m definitely buying this one to throw some $$ Bob D.’s way for this one (and several others I want but don’t need full cart releases for). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tep392 said:

I think this is currently the only way to get Yamaha sound using the Cartridge.  The other option is running the A78 file on a Dragonfly or the upcoming GD. I'm still hoping someone will develop a passthrough device someday.

:-o That's beautiful!:-o

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Cheezitnfriends said:

Where can I purchase a physical copy of this? Just got an Atari 7800 and this would be awesome to add to my collection? Thanks. 

-Chuck

On 5/15/2023 at 12:10 PM, tep392 said:

I think this is currently the only way to get Yamaha sound using the Cartridge.  The other option is running the A78 file on a Dragonfly or the upcoming 7800GD. I'm still hoping someone will develop a passthrough device someday.