IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I may be doing something wrong, but I decided to check out how this most recent WIP sounds in a stock 7800. So I booted up the most-recent A7800 emulator build, selected a standard console (e.g., no XM installed), then selected today's cart .A78 from the menu. Cycling through the menu options creates what seems like a stuck sound that never stops or changes until you start the game. Actual game sounds seem okay (usual TIA sounds). Restarting, enabling the XM module and then loading the game, the menu sounds great and works as expected. Can anyone confirm, or do I have something busted in my A7800 emulator installation?

Crap!

I know what that is...  Give me a minute....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jinks said:

The first was SCAA.. Even earlier... Beef Drop Ve which has code with an XM will give it pokey sound. RIP Ken!! 

There is Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, Froggie, the original PMC, and Donkey Kong XM too.  However, there is a cart PCB workaround in all those cases.  All the aforementioned games have been presented alternatively with a POKEY sound chip in a cart-by-cart basis to provide the maximum sound experience.

There is no PCB workaround with Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition.  The YM2151 sound chip does not have a cart PCB to support it (yet - or at least nothing has been stated and shown publicly).  The only way for the masses under physical hardware to enjoy this game with the enhanced sound is via XM.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Trebor said:

The only way for the masses under physical hardware to enjoy this game with the enhanced sound is via XM.

In a way, this makes me sad - it’s going to take Curt another couple years probably to finish ironing out any remaining issues and get pre-orders built and shipped. The YM sound in this game is great and I’d love to hear it on real hardware, but as I’m not on that pre-order list, it’ll be much longer than that. Very glad Bob makes these almost-final WIP versions available to play in emulation until then.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

I thought I did pretty good with the TIA this time... :( 

You did *GREAT* with TIA and I definitely want to buy a cart!

I’m just sad that we still don’t have XM’s available to play it with our 7800’s, because that YM audio plus your gameplay and graphics is just a great combination. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tanks, guys - once @DINTAR816 showed how close you can come with the TIA for the Pac-Man Energizer, it made me re-think about how to attack the TIA.

That being said, here's another small update, the fix for the fruit gave an error while compiling that still allowed the game to play, for some reason.

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN

• Like 8

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

In a way, this makes me sad - it’s going to take Curt another couple years probably to finish ironing out any remaining issues and get pre-orders built and shipped. The YM sound in this game is great and I’d love to hear it on real hardware, but as I’m not on that pre-order list, it’ll be much longer than that. Very glad Bob makes these almost-final WIP versions available to play in emulation until then.

Yeah Bob always gives his soul to the 7800 crowd. Everyone should respect that he shares with everyone. I do not think cart sales drop or whatever because of it. I would say cart sales increase because we want to support the 7800 legend and king. Without this guy here keeping it real, I can almost guarantee there would be no 7800 scene. All homebrewers, gamers, fans, nerdz,  should realize that and never ever forget bitches! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bob,

First time I heard it my thought was: "Wow, they really improved the POKEY.  PMC sounds better than ever."

Then, I thought it was the YM2151, and believed that explained what I was hearing. 

When it was relayed that was TIA, I was like...

:-o:-o:-o

No way!!!

Absolutely, Perry knocks it out of the park with the Yamaha, giving us the best sounding experience possible.  And hoping the good doctor is wrong, we'll see those XM units sooner than a couple of years; however, in the meantime, this game sounds great with TIA.  I can't wait to see this in the store and be able to purchase a cart.  It's fantastic!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I thought I did pretty good with the TIA this time... :( 

11 minutes ago, Trebor said:

...First time I heard it my thought was: "Wow, they really improved the POKEY.  PMC sounds better than ever."

Then, I thought it was the YM2151, and believed that explained what I was hearing. 

When it was relayed that was TIA, I was like...

:-o:-o:-o

No way!!!..

The WHAT you say?!?

That's TIA?  Yeah, I may be a little late, but just now read that.  Did I read correctly?  Am I hearing TIA?  Like Treb, I thought I was hearing YM, and thought I must have downloaded an updated emulator at some point that supported it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

The WHAT you say?!?

That's TIA?  Yeah, I may be a little late, but just now read that.  Did I read correctly?  Am I hearing TIA?  Like Treb, I thought I was hearing YM, and thought I must have downloaded an updated emulator at some point that supported it.

Which one are you listening to? Some of the videos posted are TIA but the recent ones used YM. The TIA ones are astonishing for TIA but may still be identifiable depending on how sensitive your ears are (Pac-Man with its accidentals more than Ms. Pac-Man).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bizarrostormy said:

Which one are you listening to? Some of the videos posted are TIA but the recent ones used YM. The TIA ones are astonishing for TIA but may still be identifiable depending on how sensitive your ears are (Pac-Man with its accidentals more than Ms. Pac-Man).

I posted clips of both today on the FB 7800 group. They are distinct and you can tell them apart if you listen to each of them. The menu sounds at the beginning of each are different as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

It sounds great! You certainly fooled me.:dunce:

Just downloaded the latest ROM (e.g. Post #186) and the TIA sounds are great! My wife and I will be hosting an Atari Themed birthday party for a friend and he has requested this along with Donkey Kong PK and Galagon. 

Shout-out to @PacManPlus, @tep392 and @johnnywc for your amazing work. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, PacManPlus said:

By the way, I actually don't think this is something GCC could have done back then, as 320 mode looks HORRIBLE on an old style CRT.  I have a feeling that is why 320 mode wasn't used much back then.  I remember first trying out 320A/B when I was first programming the 7800 - I still had a CRT then (2005).  Looked great in emulation, couldn't even make out the shapes on the CRT.  160 mode, however, was fine. :( 

...and that's why I used such light colors for Space Invaders 7800.  I noticed that the lighter the color, the more 'clear' the shapes were in 320 mode.

So this game looks horrible on a CRT?  There is no other way to play a 7800 game on hardware.  Why does it look bad on a CRT?

• Like 1

While not discounting Bob's experience, I don't believe it will look horrible at all. 

I do believe some colors may look slightly different under some systems, due to 320 color artifacting; however, some titles look better with that effect (I.E. Tower Toppler).  One-On-One Basketball also uses 320 mode.  Jinks is another title that incorporates 320.

Not to forget too, the recently released Rikki & Vikki is all 320 mode as well and looks great under a CRT.  Quoting the developer directly: "...I do feel Rikki & Vikki looks best when playing on a CRT over RF."

A few of Bob's other games utilize 320, and under both my Longhorn Engineer composite modded systems as well as my very basic (Best Electronics) simple composite mod - which is just a half step (at best) above standard RF,  all look perfectly fine on my 1983 and 1984 CRT displays.

If possible to provide a *.bin image that places the bankswitching hotspot @$3000, I can upload it to CPUWIZ's MCP DevCart, and grab some captures from a CRT.

• Like 4