IGNORED

American Laser Games Gamegun

Shawn

4 hours ago, dj_convoy said:

If SEGA Retro says it does, I'm willing to accept that (altho' the Menacer works differently than the Justifier). I've never seen one in the wild.

I've half thought about getting the 3DO version.

I'm looking for first hand confirmation is all. I have one that was purchased as working but arrived non-working. I've replaced everything on the pcb and still not having much luck with it. I won't buy another or put any further time into fixing the one I have without further first hand information about it as they are very expensive and it's time consuming to fix them to say the least. I'm well aware that that Justifier and Menacer work differently. The appeal of this lightgun is that it's supposed to be one stop shopping for both. I'm thinking I should have just stuck to buying another Justifier.

• Like 2

Looks like it doesn't play well with Justifier games at all.

Check out this video where the guy plays ALG titles just fine

and then Lethal Enforcers does not which would use it's fabled

Konami Justifier abilities. I'm starting to think it

might not play nice as a menacer after all either.

Looks like I'm taking an expensive and foolish hit for the team dispelling the falsehoods

and rumors of this guns ability. Proof is adding up that this thing is totally incompatible

with anything other than the ALG titles for the Sega CD. AKA this is not a Menacer

or Justifier compatible substitute light gun as many internet sites claim. I wonder how

to contact SegaRETRO to get them to amend that webpage so nobody else sites that

information or grabs an ALG GAMEGUN thinking it's gonna do more than it actually can.

Funny that this ALG gun is so desirable. It is kinda rare sure but it's not super useful if it does in fact end up only working with the few ALG Sega CD games. When I can confirm this gun works or not I'm pretty sure I'm gonna sell it and just stick with the menacer and justifier. Shame this wasn't the one stop shopping light gun solution it was rumored to be. Orange is cool color and all but $100+ cool for only a half dozen titles? Not to me.

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2020 at 4:48 PM, stringfellow said:

I bought one a couple years ago and the damn thing didn't work with anything even though the seller said it worked.

I was in the same boat. If you still have it and want to sell it for parts, I would buy it from you. I'm gonna use it to make

a different light gun setup with it.

19 hours ago, stringfellow said:

I'll keep that in mind. I would love to find a way to fix it.

Well with a bunch of work you could convert it into a player 2 justifier gun by removing and replacing all the guts. As soon as I have a part number for the phototransistor in the Justifier I can show you how to do so. It will end up looking like this photo below as I've already done so with my defective ALG Gamegun. I just need a new phototransistor for it, the rest is already wired and completed. After getting ripped for $60 buying this thing a couple months ago I wasn't gonna let it sit without turning it into something functional.

DSCF0386.thumb.JPG.832bf62dd2e3deedcec631162fb8d9b5.JPG

On 5/13/2020 at 4:19 PM, Shawn said:

Well with a bunch of work you could convert it into a player 2 justifier gun by removing and replacing all the guts. As soon as I have a part number for the phototransistor in the Justifier I can show you how to do so. It will end up looking like this photo below as I've already done so with my defective ALG Gamegun. I just need a new phototransistor for it, the rest is already wired and completed. After getting ripped for $60 buying this thing a couple months ago I wasn't gonna let it sit without turning it into something functional.

DSCF0386.thumb.JPG.832bf62dd2e3deedcec631162fb8d9b5.JPG

Interesting idea. I bought it hoping to enjoy corpse killer more along with a few others.

• 1 year later...

I know it’s a long shot here but I bought a gamegun was supposed to be tested but not working well.  The fire button is ok no problem, but it’s really shooting everywhere and not accurate at all.  I took it apart and everything looks new.  I cleaned the light diode and the clear lens but still the same.  Any idea someone on how to fix it ?  Tks

795F3AA3-E759-43D4-9A09-1DA9C0F5EFCE.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I too just bought one of these and it was sold as “working” but, the x/y coordinates on it don’t work. Trigger works so maybe that’s all the tested. Can’t return it unfortunately.

anyone have a part number for the phototransistor?

I am going to see if replacing that helps.

also check for frayed cables, connectivity and possible shorts.

sucks.

Guess these things are great when they work but when they don’t they become expensive orange plastic dust collectors

I took mine apart and got some part numbers:

MRD310 K9428

Also took pics. Going to see if I can find something comparable on Digikey or something.

PS looks like someone else tried this with no success:

https://forums.nesdev.org/viewtopic.php?t=19845&p=248157

https://www.weisd.com/products/869575-mrd310-nte-equivalent-nte3032-phototransistor-dete --> out of stock too :(
bahh! I may be better off just turning this thing into a lamp or something

image7.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0 (8).jpeg