IGNORED

HSC17 Round 6: SUPER PACMAN + MONTEZUMA AGAIN!

Yes, that is because it is fresh from my hard drive. :) I just made a binary patch to the existing XEX, thus encouraging people to try it out to see if it plays like expected. I tested it in Altirra and it seems OK to me.

The version you uploaded from Jose is 107 bytes bigger, which suggests to me it got more changes than just the value of one byte. 105 of those are padding at the end of the XEX so it leaves 2 bytes more code/data. Aha, already at $008A in the XEX (not to be confused with memory addresses) there is an extra two bytes $BA $68 inserted. I have no clue about the XEX format so I suppose that has some use.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys.  So we now have a normal lives version of Montezuma Again! posted above by devwebcl. I've linked it on the first post. Also added a Super Pacman bonus challenge too.

Not played Montezuma for ages so look forward to tackling some new screens.

Have fun and remember we can extend this round if needed :)

So, the Montezuma 5 lives rom crashes you get a game over. Is there anything I can do about that?

Edit: now it's restarting. But it restarts me in the last room I was in.

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

Super Pac-Man: 55,600

20200331_232552.thumb.jpg.bd3cb1a66c8d570a57484bda4a2d0388.jpg

...and then I ran into the "doors not opening even when you've eaten every key" bug and lost my last two lives. ??

Is anyone playing this on real NTSC hardware? I was using Super Pac-Man (1984) (Atari) (US) (proto) (a2) [k-file].atr from atarionline.pl and it has the bug. Is there a better NTSC .atr version that I can use?

Edited by graywest
spelling fix
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

So, the Montezuma 5 lives rom crashes you get a game over. Is there anything I can do about that?

Edit: now it's restarting. But it restarts me in the last room I was in.

At first I observed something similar, but then the bug disappeared. I think if you press Start, it will restart from first screen, but if you press fire button it acts like "continue" rather than "restart".

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 1:24 AM, roadrunner said:

Super Pac Man 17,610
blue time doesn't last long, hard to get more than 1 or 2 ghosts

Monty 5 lives 7,950

Get one of the other pills first, when he's super you can speed him up with the joystick button.

You can also enter their hideout, so if you time it right, you can get in there while they're all still blue and wipe them out again, and again...

• Like 2

Not got my Super Pacman Mojo on yet but I'm sure it will come, might have to change sticks - 49,790

Played "Montezuma Again!" (for the first time) and YES you forget what a really nice game it is, not needed to do any mapping yet. I'm working on a platform game again for abbuc so playing Monty might give me some ideas, everything is so slick - unlike in my game!!

It does go to a black screen at the end and not show the high score :twisted: ;-)

• Like 1