IGNORED

Season 17 Round 5 - Mach Rider

asponge

10 hours ago, jblenkle said:

Mach Rider - 80

I'm having a real tough go with this one, but I wanted to at least post a score!!!

The secret is to get into fourth gear, get a little speed going (not too much), and then lay off the accelerator while you dodge and shoot things.  When your speed drops too much and you see enemies in the rear view catching up, then tap the accelerator a little and speed up a bit.   I had a lot of trouble with this game until I realized I was going way too fast.

Oh and if you didn't read the manual, the only way to get more ammo is to bump the bad guys into rocks on the side of the road. 

• Thanks 1

4,300 level 2 course A

This game is brutal, but I need to spend more time with it. I didn't take a pic since I thought for sure I'd do better. So far, nope. I also tried with the NES Advantage, since we were talking about the best way to hold the controller, but it was cramping up my right wrist. I go between using both index and middle finger or rolling my thumb between the buttons.

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

4,300 level 2 course A

This game is brutal, but I need to spend more time with it. I didn't take a pic since I thought for sure I'd do better. So far, nope. I also tried with the NES Advantage, since we were talking about the best way to hold the controller, but it was cramping up my right wrist. I go between using both index and middle finger or rolling my thumb between the buttons.

Index and middle finger is absolutely best controller method for this game, IMO.

• Like 1

Not sure if I'll get another game in tonight, but I wanted to mention- I've noticed a difference in level 2 between course A and B. A has rocks (argh) and B has oil drums (which you can at least shoot). Haven't gotten far with B, so can't really say if one is easier. The game is so dang hard it might be a moot point.

Ah so close asponge! I spent 1hr45m trying to beat my 73k and put you in my rearview, but no luck. I can't believe it. I was so close I could taste it. So we've all figured out that the bonus is absolutely key. I got that high by getting a total of 3 bonuses by level 3. Later, I reached level 5, but was far below that b/c I didn't make the cut. Thing is, I think it's random as to which cars you get and when; or at least, I haven't been able to predict it. Which meant, some games I'd hit 10 pink cars with 6k left in the first level and sometimes I'd be swamped with greens, not get the bonus, and be forced to restart in hopes of getting a better start. Same deal with the second level. I learned all this after getting my high (pretty fast after starting my session tonight) and haven been given the false hope that breaking it was a done deal. Tsk tsk tsk. Good game everyone! 

Edited by fakecortex